Bulldogs confirm top 30 squad for 2021

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Are you c*** for real? What on earth makes you think a player doing an ACL in training would then allow the club to slash his salary and boot him from the Top 30 to a development contract? Or letting you replace him completely lol.

That has never been the case. Get your heads out of the sand. This isn’t SuperCoach.
Rule should definitely be changed to at least when the season starts... I still cant fathom that a team would be down to 29 players before the season even begins.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rule should definitely be changed to at least when the season starts... I still cant fathom that a team would be down to 29 players before the season even begins.
I'm sure if the rule was changed it may be exploited.. hence why it is what it is.. similar to the medically retiring scenario..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if the rule was changed it may be exploited.. hence why it is what it is.. similar to the medically retiring scenario..
Injuries are just part of the game. Where do you draw the line with it? What’s the difference in getting a season ending injury in the off season or during a game? It is what it is.

No offence to Crichton but if you had to get someone injured and miss the season you’d pick a fringe out side back every time.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did come to mind but how do you exploit it though? Surely the NRL can examine the player whom is out for the season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Or you have the option to pay out the player his contracted salary in full. If the player is medically ruled out for the season in their last season and the current club can't re-sign them the following year (obviously not having this would create a loophole) I don't see an issue.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Injuries are just part of the game. Where do you draw the line with it? What’s the difference in getting a season ending injury in the off season or during a game? It is what it is.

No offence to Crichton but if you had to get someone injured and miss the season you’d pick a fringe out side back every time.

Injuries are a part of the game but there is logic in the argument when it is considered PRE season. The question now, is 30 players enough for team?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon dont even have a when it occurs clause or...maybe a 30 June deadline which is about mid season.
Re Where would you draw the line? well at 1 "swap" per team per year..just a thought and given other rorting is easier and probably happens anyway the risk is minimal with this idea, i really dont think this would be exploited..my main thinking being it gives a fringe player an opportunity earlier and the club gets to assess a pass or fail scenario on said fringe player and gets something for an injury that can really affect them.
Dont even have to pay out the injured player imo he gets paid as per normal this year whilst in rehab..and the club can decide whats what for next season.If its a star that went down it's likely he goes back on the top 30 for the next season anyway and old mate fill in may have won a place for next year or gets the punt.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Injuries are a part of the game but there is logic in the argument when it is considered PRE season. The question now, is 30 players enough for team?
Why does it matter if it’s the pre season though? If someone gets injured in round 2 and they miss the rest of the year it’s pretty much the same thing. 30 players is fine there’s usually a few players in every squad that don’t get a run every year.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why does it matter if it’s the pre season though? If someone gets injured in round 2 and they miss the rest of the year it’s pretty much the same thing. 30 players is fine there’s usually a few players in every squad that don’t get a run every year.
Agree.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is it the same though? Its before the season and during the season.... The deadline for the top 30 should be at least a fortnight or even a month before the season starts in my opinion. There is a lack of logic to cut it off months before the first kick-off.

In saying that 30 does seem enough considering dev players come in later too.. Still dont see the logic though considering you can trade up until halfway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There are supposedly 2 purposes of the Salary Cap, to stop clubs spending themselves broke and to a lessor extent even out the competition. Looking at it logically if a player get injured "on the job", be it training or playing, then he should be eligible for workers compensation just like any other worker. Albeit they are contracted "workers", but still they could be covered by WC insurance just like a sub contractor. Same as any business, an employee is off on workers comp and we get a temp in to fill in for them while they are on WC.

If the player is being paid by the insurance company then it satisfies the NRL's objective as the club is not spending any additional money. So they could recruit (or promote) another player at the same contract value at no net cost to the club. This would also comply with the NRL's other objective since it's likely that an equal value replacement would result in an equal quality player.

So what's the problem? Well, the Chooks (just for example) could have a minimum contract player "injured" and replace them with (let's say) SBW and claim that he is on the same minimum contract. Of course the Bentley isn't included or anything else that happens to fall his way, perhaps a free lunch in a brown paper bag every day.

But is this any different to any other player? Not really, since it's still subject to the standard Salary Cap audit, if they don't catch them with contracted players why would it be any different with their replacements.

The catch, my guess is the insurance premiums for an NRL player to cover them for injuries sustained at work would be astronomical. But there are plenty of premier sports that do have their players insured for injury (NBA for example) so it might not be impossible as long as every club and every player was covered in the one policy.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How is it the same though? Its before the season and during the season.... The deadline for the top 30 should be at least a fortnight or even a month before the season starts in my opinion. There is a lack of logic to cut it off months before the first kick-off.

In saying that 30 does seem enough considering dev players come in later too.. Still dont see the logic though considering you can trade up until halfway.
An injury is an injury to me the timing is irrelevant sometimes a player will get lucky and get a 6 week injury in preseason and not miss a game. It’s why you have to have depth in the squad.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An injury is an injury to me the timing is irrelevant sometimes a player will get lucky and get a 6 week injury in preseason and not miss a game. It’s why you have to have depth in the squad.
It adds drama.. Still reckon they should work on the deadline, otherwise good chat ;) How you doin otherwise mate?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It adds drama.. Still reckon they should work on the deadline, otherwise good chat ;) How you doin otherwise mate?
Good mate just counting down the days to the season now. How about you?