Bulldogs Commit to Three More Years of Tackling Sports Betting Advertising

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Completely funded by gambling

The sports bar is a ghost town at the leagues club
Majority of our funding comes from the NRL which in most parts gets their money from TV rights. TV rights are what funds all teams. We are supplemented by the leagues club.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Majority of our funding comes from the NRL which in most parts gets their money from TV rights. TV rights are what funds all teams. We are supplemented by the leagues club.
From the sales of the media rights the NRL plays each Club the same value Annual Grant which basically covers the Salary Cap for the Top 38 (max) players and Coaching Staff. All other Club expenses are paid for by the Clubs themselves, Admin staff, physios, trainers, clothing, ground and facilities maintenance, NSW Cup Team, NRLW, any capital works (the new Centre of Excellence is budgeted to cost us $25m), all the pathways' teams and facilities etc etc. For us this not inconsiderable amount is paid for by the Leagues Club and due to the Great Man's foresight we have an advantage over many clubs in that the Football Club actually controls the Leagues Club via the majority Board representation.

Always a Bulldog

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The NRL is basialy run by SportsBet these days, it's atrocious.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Those who want to bet can do so at their own peril but we should not polute any more young people's minds with ads during game time.
I'm all for banning betting advertising just like we did with smoking. I applaud the club for going down this path.
The leagues clubs should also look to grow their investment portfolio and replace their reliance on poker machine revenue. NRL is a community sport and should be supported by and be supportive of the community.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From the sales of the media rights the NRL plays each Club the same value Annual Grant which basically covers the Salary Cap for the Top 38 (max) players and Coaching Staff. All other Club expenses are paid for by the Clubs themselves, Admin staff, physios, trainers, clothing, ground and facilities maintenance, NSW Cup Team, NRLW, any capital works (the new Centre of Excellence is budgeted to cost us $25m), all the pathways' teams and facilities etc etc. For us this not inconsiderable amount is paid for by the Leagues Club and due to the Great Man's foresight we have an advantage over many clubs in that the Football Club actually controls the Leagues Club via the majority Board representation.

Always a Bulldog
Most years the leagues club gives the football club between 3-5 million. Still a minority of what is spent by the football club. Other than the NRL grant the rest of the money comes from sponsorships, memberships, merchandise, game day crowds etc.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Most years the leagues club gives the football club between 3-5 million. Still a minority of what is spent by the football club. Other than the NRL grant the rest of the money comes from sponsorships, memberships, merchandise, game day crowds etc.
Can’t just ignore the $25m from the Leagues Club over 2 years for the new Centre of Excellence.

Always a Bulldog

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
its a tricky one. I'm all for getting sports betting off our jerseys, TVs, radios, web ads etc, and out of our (and our children's) faces.

But, on the other hand, we're a club largely funded by gambling.
The whole entire sports world is largely funded by gambling in one way or another :tearsofjoy: It’s a gambling game, no two ways about it lol.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
its a tricky one. I'm all for getting sports betting off our jerseys, TVs, radios, web ads etc, and out of our (and our children's) faces.

But, on the other hand, we're a club largely funded by gambling.
I’ve hated the sports bet half time ads.whats it teaching kids? The NRL are hypocrites! They banned tobacco sponsorship over 30 years ago .Gambling is just as addictive as drinking alcohol and ruins thousands of lives.
The sooner the NRL ban gambling ads and sponsorship the better!

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Gary McIntyre structured that in 1982 great vision

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to find the balance between freedom of choice and addiction is hard. Addiction is a choice too, at least to start off with. I'd love to see people not gamble their life away, but even opening a small business is a gamble. Plenty of things are, and it's part of being free.