Official Bulldogs coaching line-up for 2021

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
On top of naming Mick Potter as Mounties Head Coach and David Furner as Assistant Coach, the Bulldogs have finalised their coaching team for 2021, with the naming of Craig Sandercock as Assistant Coach and David Tangata-Toa as Transition Coach.

Both Sandercock and Tangata-Toa come with impressive credentials.

Sandercock, who is currently Assistant Coach with the Sharks, started his coaching career with Manly as reserve grade coach in 2008, working closely with Des Hasler and being part of a club that was able to win an NRL Premiership.

From there he moved to the Newcastle Knights as an Assistant under Rick Stone between 2010-11, before taking up the Head Coaching role with Hull Kingston Rovers for three seasons.

Sandercock, then returned to the Knights in 2015, before a stint at the Wests Tigers that preceded his current role as Sharks Assistant, working with John Morris.

Tangata-Toa, is also vastly experienced having coached in the lower grades with the Penrith Panthers between 2013 and 2018, before becoming the current Cowboys assistant Coach in 2019. He has also worked as an Assistant Coach with the Tongan National side since 2016.

He will work closely with both Head Coach Trent Barrett and Mounties Head Coach Mick Potter to prepare players coming through the system for NRL football.

2021 - Bulldogs Coaching Staff

Trent Barrett- Head Coach
David Furner – Assistant Coach
Craig Sandercock- Assistant Coach
David Tangata-Toa- Transition Coach
Mick Potter – Mounties Head Coach

Trent Barrett

295 First Grade games: Illawarra Steelers, St George Illawarra, Cronulla Sharks, Wigan. Head Coach Manly Sea Eagles - 2016-18, Current Assistant Coach Penrith Panthers

David Furner

300 First Grade Games Canberra, Wigan, Leeds. Canberra Head Coach 4 years, Leeds Head Coach, Assistant Coach Cowboys Premiers 2015, Current Knights Assistant Coach.

Craig Sandercock

Head Coach Hull KR – Super League 2012,13,14. Sea Eagles Assistant Coach 2008,09, Knights Assistant Coach 2010,11, Wests Tigers 2016,17,18, Current Cronulla Sharks Assistant.

David Tanagatoa

2013-2017- Penrith Panthers Juniors, 2017 – Head Coach NYC Panthers, 2018 - Head Coach Townsville Blackhawks U/20s, Tongan National team Assistant Coach 2016-present, 2019- Current NRL Cowboys Assistant Coach.

Mick Potter

Bulldogs Premiership winner 84',85', Head Coach Catalans Dragons 2006-08, St Helens 09-10, Bradford Bulls 11-12, Wests Tigers 13-14.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of these guys have experience , but they all seem to have been at clubs during low periods of
Performance from the club.Furner looks the best of our assistants by some distance. Let’s hope they all work well together .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Another 2 "loosing" coaches, Mick Potter is the only one who can make a claim to being a "winning" coach (@ 50.2%).

Much like Barrett and the other assistants , I'll wait my judgement on them all until I see who we recruit and then how we play.

Go Dogs

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This coaching team has me excited for next year.
New dawn, New era, New DNA, New attitude.
Now need a few missing pieces of the puzzle.
NEW PLAYERS IN KEY POSITIONS 7, 9, 8, to name a few.
Things are starting to come together.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Another 2 "loosing" coaches, Mick Potter is the only one who can make a claim to being a "winning" coach (@ 50.2%).

Much like Barrett and the other assistants , I'll wait my judgement on them all until I see who we recruit and then how we play.

Go Dogs
I think we're all doing that.

In the meantime we can acknowledge they are marked improvements don't you think?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will also be interesting to see who fills other positions like physio, strength and conditioning etc.
yep, that is almost the area we've struggled most in the last few years. need a tough conditioner to whip us into shape

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This,
I agree completely.

We needed a clean out and we got it.

Time will tell how they go.

Will need a spine like you said.

Easier said than done though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Fair point about Barrett's winning percentage but using it to measure coaches when they are in a assistants role is totally irrelevant.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who brings the soulva for the post game barbie with no SG :(
2021(2001)
The new breed

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its an interesting line up and the background of each is a mixed story. All have extensive experience as assistants, and all but Tanagatoa coaching in England with Furner, Barrett and Potter also having head coach jobs in the NRL, albeit with limited success.

Hopefully the mix proves that a good team can sometime be better than a team of stars.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will also be interesting to see who fills other positions like physio, strength and conditioning etc.
Very interesting and critical to our success.

We have really fallen behind in the strength and conditioning department and the body shape of a number of our players hasn't helped.

Josh Morris is a good example - he has put on significant size since he left us and hasn't really slowed down too much even allowing for his age.

Head to head we are generally smaller and/ or slower across the park and we struggle at the back end of games with fitness.

Further evidence of this is when you look at the progress of our young talent - we are blessed with a fantastic multi-cultural pool of juniors and we can give all the other clubs a run for their money in the 14's, 16's and 18's but our boys don't seem to develop as well as other clubs when they hit our 20's.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Blah. Personally think we've done really well to put coaches with experience into the team.

Judging assistant coaches on their % of wins is a bit rough as they can't really influence things to that level if they've got a shit head coach ahead of them. Will all 4 succeed? Who knows. The key is that the club is trying to bring in the best in each department, and I think we're going close to that.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Blah. Personally think we've done really well to put coaches with experience into the team.

Judging assistant coaches on their % of wins is a bit rough as they can't really influence things to that level if they've got a shit head coach ahead of them. Will all 4 succeed? Who knows. The key is that the club is trying to bring in the best in each department, and I think we're going close to that.
i agree tassie, i think it is a very negative post from Twinturbo, i am excited with a whole new coaching roster and what they will bring to the table.
they also bring along of connections with elite junior players , exciting times ahead

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Glad to see this is now locked in. Fingers crossed the rest of the Strength, Conditioning & Physio department are also just as strong. As others have mentioned, we simply need to wait and see in 2021 if this team will produce or not. So many times it just takes a change of scenery or a different mix of personalities to get the best out of a team, both players and coaches alike.

One thing is for sure - you can't say the Club hasn't provided Baz with enough support since his announcement. Other than Cotric, we've brought over Wadell (his signing) plus an entire coaching staff, with more roster announcements to come. We also know Baz has reached out to key players in Elliot, RFM and others who are contracted for 2021 and beyond.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where we go from here. Fingers crossed we start 2021 with a dominant showing because us members and supporters can't take any more of the performances we have seen since the end of 2017...