Bulldogs coach Des Hasler’s blast after Bulldogs lose Josh Morris ahead of Raiders clash

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DES Hasler has called for stand-alone weekends during State of Origin and blasted the NSW medical staff after the Bulldogs were forced to rush a rookie replacement to Canberra to cover for Josh Morris.

After watching his understrength team go down 32-20, Hasler said it was like going “back to the 80s” with NRL clubs forced to play “second fiddle” to Origin after Morris was called up to cover for the injured Josh Dugan.

Hasler revealed he only found out about Morris’ late inclusion for Wednesday night’s State of Origin opener at 10am on Sunday.

The desperate club was forced to send an SOS to Sydney for Anthony Mundine’s nephew Reimis Smith to be rushed to Canberra to make his NRL debut.

Iosia Soliola and the Raiders ran out 32-20 winners over the Bulldogs.

Incredibly, 19-year-old Smith had played a full game of NSW Cup on Saturday when he had scored a try.

But with the rest of his brand-new teammates already in Canberra, the son of former NRL player Tyran Smith was chauffeured south by a member of the Bulldogs’s media department and then sent out to mark up on Canberra’s dangerous duo Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana in Morris’ absence.

For a while it was looking like it was going to be a fairytale debut for Smith when he scored a double in the first half which included a try with his first touch.

But unfortunately for the Bulldogs the Raiders came home with a powerful surge, scoring four tries to fightback from 20-10 down to win the game.

Asked about the decision to call up Morris on the morning of the match, Hasler responded: “It wasn’t very well handled to professionalism, was it?”

Asked what was a better way of doing it, Hasler answered: “You can’t run two competitions at once. Stand-alone weekend.”

Jordan Rapana scores a try for the Raiders.

Asked if the NRL should push for changes to the scheduling next year, Hasler said: “Let’s hope they learn something out of it.”

“It is tough on an NRL side and this is for anybody because (other clubs) could have been in the same boat as we were.

“It is almost as if you are playing second fiddle to what Origin is about. Which is not a good thing.

“There is too much investment of money and time for this to happen.

“Two competition points in NRL are vital.

“But the players shouldn’t have to do it. A player shouldn’t have to back up when he played the day before.

“It like coming back to the 80s, isn’t it.’’

Bulldogs debutant Reimis Smith catches a pass before scoring a try.

Asked if he was questioning the NSW medical staff, Hasler added: “Yeah, there is a breakdown there somewhere in the communication process.”

NSWRL CEO Dave Trodden hit back at the claims on Sunday night.

“There appears to be confusion on the part of the Bulldogs as to the circumstances behind what happened to Josh Dugan,” Trodden said.

“The difficulty that caused him to be ruled out didn’t manifest itself until this morning and was communicated to them as soon as it became apparent to us.

“We totally understand why Canterbury would be upset about their plans being thrown into disarray because of the late withdrawal of Josh Morris.

“But when they reflect on the comments made about the professionalism of the NSW medical staff, they may think those comments are unjustified.

“These comments are about people who are leaders in their profession and who have been involved in Rugby League for many, many years and don’t deserve to have their professional standards questioned.”

Reimis Smith was rushed into the Bulldogs side — and scored two tries.

Hasler was certainly not critical of young Smith’s effort.

“I thought the debutant was one of the best out there to tell you the truth,” Hasler said.

It was a crucial loss for the Bulldogs who on Sunday had the chance to move to 16 competition points which would have put them level with the Broncos and Cowboys.

Instead they remain on 14 points, just one ahead of the Raiders and with a stack of other teams right on their tail.

The Bulldogs’ next game is against the table-topping Sharks next Monday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/742ed2af96b7653911226022ae6dff45

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Seriously tired of the fucking excuses that Des comes up with because at the end of the day they played like shit and deserved the loss. Premiership threats my ass! The way things are going we won't be winning a comp for a very long time. Half way through the season and they have probably put in 3-4 good games all year and they expect us to believe they are a premiership threat? The fuck outta here.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des should of taken a fresh back with him anyway, think a **** that has been around for so long would know better.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“The difficulty that caused him to be ruled out didn’t manifest itself until this morning and was communicated to them as soon as it became apparent to us.

Dugan was in trouble the day before at training when he aggravated the existing injury. Surely the medical staff would have had it in their minds that the problem was not going to simply go away and made a decision then and there so we could have had a fresh player come into squad that did not have to travel down to Canberra by car a few hours before the game. Manifest itself the next morning my eye.

We had this on the Monday:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fter-hyperextended-elbow-20160520-gp04a9.html

Josh Dugan has been cleared to take his place in the NSW team for Origin I but will be on a restricted training program when the Blues go into camp next week to prepare for the June 1 series opener at ANZ Stadium.

Dugan has limited movement in his left elbow after hyper-extending it in St George Illawarra's 26-16 loss to South Sydney on Thursday night but scans have cleared him off any structural damage and Dragons head of medical and performance Tony Ayoub said he would be available for NSW selection when the team is chosen on Sunday night.

"He is pretty sore, he has got limited range and he has had an old elbow injury as well that he has just aggravated but I don't there is too much to worry about from a State of Origin point of view," Ayoub said. "We play next Saturday and I would be fairly comfortable he could play for us so he should be able to play Origin the following week.

Josh Dugan of the Dragons after injuring his elbow against the Rabbitohs on Thursday night. Photo: Matt King

"There is presently lots of fluid in the joint causing pain and limited range as well as a minor strain to the medial flexor tendon. Fortunately, there is no structural damage and his elbow should settle down within the next week. He will just have a light week next week and he should be alright after that."

Then we have this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/205728f18b91b13fa6adc4140d82556f

A SHATTERED Josh Dugan left NSW camp in Coffs Harbour on Sunday morning after ruling himself out of the Blues side for Origin I.

Dugan re-aggravated an elbow injury at training on Saturday and woke up sore on Sunday morning.

He will be replaced in the starting line-up by Bulldogs centre Josh Morris, who was officially released by the Bulldogs ahead of their NRL match against the Raiders on Sunday afternoon.

After being checked out by Blues medical staff he was officially ruled out just hours prior to the NSW team’s scheduled flight back to Sydney, where preparations for Wednesday’s match will ramp up.

“I’m devastated,” Dugan said.

“It was the best thing for the team at the moment.

I re-aggravated it at training yesterday and that’s probably about it really. I’ve just got to go back, see our physios and go from there.

“I don’t want to go out there on Wednesday if I can’t give 100 per cent.

“I know what sort of arena it’s like and it was probably one of the toughest decisions I’ve made. Just putting the team first.”

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reports that Dugan only suffered bruising and will play on Wednesday night with heavy strapping. Josh Morris will remain in camp on standby

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Des and Ralene quite simply should have said "Yes, but after our game today!". Simple. If they don't have the balls to do so than it's back on them.

Last edited:

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Excuses excuses please des we don't buy this crap of yours anymore

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
with all the bitching and complaining you'd think this was an oppositions forum because the majority is the same old boring "des this and des that" posts.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Valid question, why didn't Des name Stanley on an extended bench and take him to Canberra just in case?

Everyone was aware it was possible Morris would be called back

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
If Dugan miraculously plays on Wednesday, the NRLol can go fuck itself and Des is 100% right that Origin needs to be it's own round. Also shows the incompetence of the NSW medical staff

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Valid question, why didn't Des name Stanley on an extended bench and take him to Canberra just in case?

Why should we plan for ifs and buts on behalf of the NSW team? If Dugan was in doubt, Morris should never have been released.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Obviously the bloke is dumb enough to think people will buy it but then again judging by the way some people on here are acting the excuse worked.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Stanley copped a lower leg injury during the NSW Cup game.

Sure he could have been 18th man, but what for... Des expected Morris to play, and we SHOULD have played him.

Heck... what are the NRL going to do? Punish us for playing our OWN player in a club game? Need I remind them who pays Josh's salary??

I can't see how Tyson Frizell was allowed to play Saturday then fly up, and yet Morris couldn't play Sunday then fly up.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't have released Morris till after the game.
What difference would it make ? He wasn't going to train with NSW on Sunday, he was 9 hours away.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
with all the bitching and complaining you'd think this was an oppositions forum because the majority is the same old boring "des this and des that" posts.
Agree, I've been sick of reading the same shit....
2144 is that Auburn p.c

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I totally agree with Des , what other multimillion dollar business risks their product for a money grab?

Very unprofessional

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Or maybe hoppa wasn't a self interested grub then we would have been fully prepared for Morris' call up to happen. Morris goes and hoppa goes to centres with holland and all is well. But no he had to let his ego get the better of him and not play on Sundays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.