News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is under pressure already following tough start to the season

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Can anyone see the one positive out of this ?? I know I can. Pay signed Canberra’s wrestling coach Steve Babic and while Steve was there, Canberra conceded 22+ points a game. Steve has know doubled his tally to 35+ points per game. Exciting times and career best for him if you ask me.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give this rebel to Bellamy or any coach you like how do you think they'll do!

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Better than Pay. We might not win with them but sure as hell would have better attitude and a far better game plan than what Pay has vomitted up

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
too late for this season.

Pay had the entire off season to get the basic things right such as fitness and agility.

Team has gone backwards from 2018 when you look at individual performances.

This all has to do with the coaching and not the players.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Yep the roster is worse but some of his selections are still baffling. Holland and Smith formed a good combo towards the end of the year last year. So why change them ?? Smith has hardly been involved at all this year and one of the main reasons is because Montoya cant pass the fuckin ball. I dont care how bad Meaney has been in NSW cup, he still should be in the side ahead of Montoya. If Hoppa has to move to centre then so be it. Everyone on here knew that Montoyta would be a disaster at centre and he proven exactly that.

And why change Jackson top the left ? He has played the 2 worst games of his career. RFM look lost on the right.

The selections make no sense
Agreed

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When Des Hasler was punted from Canterbury, Dean Pay promised to revive the “Dogs of War”, and bring with him “a little bit of madness”.

But right now this once proud club is becoming an embarrassment.

And fans are entitled to be asking if Pay is the right coach to be taking this once proud club forward after the Dogs slumped to their worst defensive start to a season in almost 50 years.

It is a topic very few are prepared to speak publicly about because Pay is so well liked as a bloke.

But without making it personal, it is developing into a problem for the Bulldogs’ management because there is no way on earth the club can be seen as heading in the right direction in 2019.

The Bulldogs were belted from pillar to post by Parramatta. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.
Before the game Andrew Johns said on Channel 9 that the opening round 40-6 loss to the Warriors had “no science to the attack … I couldn’t see a game plan, They were terrible.”

And despite a promising start at ANZ Stadium, the way they capitulated to eventually go down 36-16 to Parramatta must be extremely concerning for the Bulldogs’ management.

With respect to the Eels, they are not the Roosters, or the Storm.

So where does that now leave the Bulldogs?

After a forgettable 2018, the Bulldogs showed signs of improvement late in the season which led to Pay declaring they could be finals bound this year.

Then just before the start of this season, Pay did an interview with colleague Dean Ritchie where he said the competition in the squad was so fierce he had 10 players queuing up for five spots, and that there were promising signs for 2019.

Canterbury are anchored to the bottom of the ladder. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.
Then they went out and got lapped by the Warriors, playing as Johns said, without any “science”.

But instead of making changes, Pay promised to give his players one more chance, promising a better showing against Parramatta.

Then Parramatta turned up and wiped the floor with the Bulldogs, despite the Eels trailing midway through the first half and Canterbury have a better than 70 per cent share of possession.

It is hard to see where Canterbury goes from here.

We are two rounds into a new season and for as long as I can remember there has not been a clearer wooden spoon favourite.

Could this be the end for Dean Pay? Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
The Bulldogs have now conceded 76 points in their opening two games, which is the most points scored against this proud old club to start a season since way back in 1971.

And at some point fans are entitled to stop feeling sorry for Pay and the new administration and instead start demanding answers.

There was talk at the start of the season that Pay was a hope of having a new contract extension handed to him in the near future.

But that would have to be now no chance of happening any time soon.

In fact, the way the Dogs are playing it has to building pressure on Pay’s hopes of even lasting the season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/09b7123b77697ae57cab7e1a1416927b
Before we signed Pay I remember saying...If we sign Pay or Dymock we need to sign Micheal Hagan as an assistant / mentor.
Is it too late ???