News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is under pressure already following tough start to the season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When Des Hasler was punted from Canterbury, Dean Pay promised to revive the “Dogs of War”, and bring with him “a little bit of madness”.

But right now this once proud club is becoming an embarrassment.

And fans are entitled to be asking if Pay is the right coach to be taking this once proud club forward after the Dogs slumped to their worst defensive start to a season in almost 50 years.

It is a topic very few are prepared to speak publicly about because Pay is so well liked as a bloke.

But without making it personal, it is developing into a problem for the Bulldogs’ management because there is no way on earth the club can be seen as heading in the right direction in 2019.

The Bulldogs were belted from pillar to post by Parramatta. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.
Before the game Andrew Johns said on Channel 9 that the opening round 40-6 loss to the Warriors had “no science to the attack … I couldn’t see a game plan, They were terrible.”

And despite a promising start at ANZ Stadium, the way they capitulated to eventually go down 36-16 to Parramatta must be extremely concerning for the Bulldogs’ management.

With respect to the Eels, they are not the Roosters, or the Storm.

So where does that now leave the Bulldogs?

After a forgettable 2018, the Bulldogs showed signs of improvement late in the season which led to Pay declaring they could be finals bound this year.

Then just before the start of this season, Pay did an interview with colleague Dean Ritchie where he said the competition in the squad was so fierce he had 10 players queuing up for five spots, and that there were promising signs for 2019.

Canterbury are anchored to the bottom of the ladder. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.
Then they went out and got lapped by the Warriors, playing as Johns said, without any “science”.

But instead of making changes, Pay promised to give his players one more chance, promising a better showing against Parramatta.

Then Parramatta turned up and wiped the floor with the Bulldogs, despite the Eels trailing midway through the first half and Canterbury have a better than 70 per cent share of possession.

It is hard to see where Canterbury goes from here.

We are two rounds into a new season and for as long as I can remember there has not been a clearer wooden spoon favourite.

Could this be the end for Dean Pay? Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
The Bulldogs have now conceded 76 points in their opening two games, which is the most points scored against this proud old club to start a season since way back in 1971.

And at some point fans are entitled to stop feeling sorry for Pay and the new administration and instead start demanding answers.

There was talk at the start of the season that Pay was a hope of having a new contract extension handed to him in the near future.

But that would have to be now no chance of happening any time soon.

In fact, the way the Dogs are playing it has to building pressure on Pay’s hopes of even lasting the season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/09b7123b77697ae57cab7e1a1416927b

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust the good old DT to put the boot in fast. "As long as I can remember there has not been a clearer wooden spoon favourite" lol *****

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was quicker than my first sexual outing!
Can’t say I was surprised, or even pissed with the DT. Fact is fact, and the fact here is PAY IS WORSE THAN THE SHIT MY GOLDFISH RIPS.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interviews for our new coach in 2020 should begin by round 9. Fkn oath there should be pressure on this clueless kent

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust the good old DT to put the boot in fast. "As long as I can remember there has not been a clearer wooden spoon favourite" lol *****
How about the Knights or Parra on multiple occasions? What a flog he is! Also Titans have only scored 6 points so they aren’t going much better

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Average reserve graders at best. Not their fault, they’re just not up to it. I can’t see much improvement with this squad. Hope I’m wrong.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Average reserve graders at best. Not their fault, they’re just not up to it. I can’t see much improvement with this squad. Hope I’m wrong.
Pretty much how I see it. A donkey will never win the Melbourne Cup!

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
If the board aren’t having a crisis meeting at 9am tomorrow I’d be surprised! After we get lapped by the Tigers next week, I’m hoping the coaching interviews start!!!

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah in the last five years Newcastle and Parra has been 100 times clearer spoon favs I mean we could still beat the Titans. Knights won one game

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
if the bloke thought there were "promising" signs for 2019 then clearly he has no fucken idea as a coach.

He probably also thinks he is as good as Bellamy.

Pay lives in the lala land and he can not see the forest from the trees.
Love it haha.. and again I agree 100% !! Can’t see the forest from the trees lol you nailed it Indian.