Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs change name back to Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

* By Dean Ritchie
* August 28, 2009 12:00AM

New Bulldogs logo and old Bulldogs logo

Old versus new... the Bulldogs' current logo (left) and their new retro logo (right). Source: The Daily Telegraph

CANTERBURY Bankstown - one of league's proudest names - is back.

A board meeting on Wednesday unanimously voted for the club to be known as the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs from next season.

The Belmore-based club has been known as simply The Bulldogs since 1999.

More than 10,000 fans flooded The Daily Telegraph online last week to overwhelmingly support the return of Canterbury Bankstown to the club's logo. Read that blog by Dean Ritchie here.

Board members opted for the change after seeing the passion of the fans.

"It's back to the future,'' Canterbury great Terry Lamb said yesterday. "Since Super League we have probably got away from our roots. We weakened our name and brand by changing the name [to the Bulldogs] but we are back to where we belong.''

The NRL will have to approve the name change but Bulldogs officials do not expect any resistance.

"We discussed it officially last night and decided to bring back Canterbury Bankstown into the Bulldogs,'' club chairman George Peponis said.

"The nine-man board was unanimous. We still have to get NRL approval and the fans will also have a chance to have their say but I can't see too many obstacles. Most fans want a return to Canterbury Bankstown. We will listen to what the members have to say but we would be surprised if they didn't want Canterbury Bankstown back.

"We are acknowledging our heritage.''

Canterbury were the Berries between 1935 and the end of 1977, before becoming the Bulldogs.

For one season, 1995, they were known as the Sydney Bulldogs. They have been known only as the Bulldogs for the past decade.

Club officials are also hopeful of a return to Belmore Sports Ground.

The club is lobbying the federal Government for a $30 million grant to revamp the ground.

Peponis said the name change will co-incide with Canterbury's 75th anniversary in 2010.

"The Canterbury Bankstown name will fit in nicely with that,'' Peponis said.

"Canterbury and Bankstown areas are our heartland areas and we don't want to lose that.''

fantastic i say :grinning:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225766904295

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

D

dogs_4 lyf

Oh my God.

This has got to be the best news in a long long time. We are back to the name that made some of us support this club in the first place. Once again Great work from our board, they are just growing and growing on us.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I must be dreaming!

This is the one thing I wanted. I'm so happy! Thank you Dean Richie! We owe you one!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
thank **** for that

now take every other teams identity away from them so they can see how we felt

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
lol rami is cute when he gets excited tbh :p hahaha

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
best news i have heard in a long time. Good times are ahead

Ted67

Old Dog
Reaction score
Should never have changed in the first place. Great news!

Goz

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the club has been doing some fantastic things and keeps on getting better

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
thank ****!

we are finally back... the dynasty of the 80s is coming back!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is one of the best news I have ever heard in my history of supporting the Bulldogs.

I am literally that happy! I have been praying for this for a long, long time. I'm still pinching myself!

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Club officials are also hopeful of a return to Belmore Sports Ground.

The club is lobbying the federal Government for a $30 million grant to revamp the ground.
Seriously, if that happens it will be a cause for celebration, like winning the GF.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Club just keeps getting better and better. Great time to be a Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs supporter!!! :D

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
such a great day... we are back, Canterbury Bankstown as it should be... :D

I'm so happy with this and thank everyone involved in making it happens, including us fans who forced the issue and people like Ray Warren who kept calling us Canterbury even after the name was gone.

What I love most though is it's not just Canterbury, it's Canterbury-Bankstown... the whole name is back, now all we need is the money to revamp Belmore and we'd be the complete deal once more... :D

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
WOW - it just keeps getting better, what a year thus far - bring on the GF!

Status
Not open for further replies.