News Bulldogs call for review of rules after Foran salary cap appeal rejected

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck we are a dumb club if what the article states is true... the rules state a maximum of $350k salary cap relief....
i cant believe we used Burgess as an example.... the NRL must be laughing at our stupidity. It is written in black and white.
Burgess retired........ Foran has not retired... Fair dinkum dogs, how about you learn to compare apples with apples....
Agree wholeheartedly,our ceo has waited 3 months, to find that out where was plan b,everybody new the outcome,and what made it worse was that dickhead coming out saying I'm not retiring,keep your mouth shut take the money and fuck of Kieran foran,I just feel at the moment,our football club department,is a joke

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No surprises there.. As usual the rules are enforced to the letter of the law for our club but if this were Tedesco, Cook or Haas, the NRL would have changed the rule effective immediately.

It's an absurd rule that will likely get changed in the future and as usual, our club will be the worst case scenario test case that leads to change in the future. But of course that doesn't help us now...

Anyway, the club should offer Douhehi a contract or front end our own contracts like others have said. At least use that 350k in some capacity. There's no point having it sit there unused..

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe they could use that $350k to employe real managers as opposed to "family"

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you say that burgess situation is different , Souths are still paying him but paying him to be in admin , essentially same with GI who is still employed by the club who they both signed long term contracts at the time which didn’t allow any other clubs a chance at signing them.
Actually you are right it’s different , Foran got legitimately injured repping for country and trying to still play . The others were just cap rortd from day 1

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I heard Tedesco injured himself at training today and might miss first month if not more

I bet the NRL find a way to compensate Roosters

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Basically the NRL have indirectly shat on the international game because clubs now will be even more reluctant to release players

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s not really surprising I didn’t think we were any hope of getting anything above the $350k.
Agreed mate. Perhaps the NRL should introduce a cap for medically retiring marquee players, let’s say $350K per player! Geez I wonder if Souths would’ve medically retired GI and SB if the limit was capped to $350K mmmm I think not! Same goes for Gillette at the Broncos, they only medically retired him to free up $ to re sign Fifita when Boyd would not budge, the rorting is so transparent! At least our case for asking for more relief $$$ is legit, in Souths and Broncos case it’s straight up exploitation to gain players heavily sought after by clubs that haven’t won a premiership in over a decade.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its our own stupid fault for letting a delusional, fatigued, injury prone 'team' member play rep footy whilst he should have hung up the boots for the rest of the season and just chilled. Maybe the club should have done the responsible thing, looked to the bigger picture like fans did before he took the field knowing he'd get injured and telling him to pull his fuckin head in and sit out the off season. Lewis is our senior half this year, that is a bitter pill to swallow.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why hilly is whinging to be honest.
The rule is clear cut, and besides what's he gunna do with the extra cash anyway be it 350k or 1.2M?
It's not as if he has a good track record in recruiting anyone of note....but we all hope he will announce something soon, his first real feather in his cap
No surprises there.. As usual the rules are enforced to the letter of the law for our club but if this were Tedesco, Cook or Haas, the NRL would have changed the rule effective immediately.

It's an absurd rule that will likely get changed in the future and as usual, our club will be the worst case scenario test case that leads to change in the future. But of course that doesn't help us now...

Anyway, the club should offer Douhehi a contract or front end our own contracts like others have said. At least use that 350k in some capacity. There's no point having it sit there unused..

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They might not even use it. There’s not really any decent halves out there especially when you only have $350k to play with.
Just use the $350 to front load a couple of other good players we actually want to keep.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not allowed, it has to be used on an NRL approved contract for a replacement player.

Go Dogs
Can you please site the official ruling in writing where it states the $350 relief money can only be used for a replacement player?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no "it" (singular), there are 2 completely separate contracts. Same as, say, DWZ had one contract for the time he was at Penrith and another totally separate contract for when he was with us.

And yes you are right, who knows which way the NRL will bend.

Go Dogs
Well they wont be bending our way, that much is guaranteed!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When Foran returns and he somehow plays to marquee standards, we then offer him $350k for next year. Does the NRL register this contract as fair market value or do they unfairly stick their nose in and say he's worth $1m.
Very interesting point you make! We all know the result though...

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't know why hilly is whinging to be honest.
The rule is clear cut, and besides what's he gunna do with the extra cash anyway be it 350k or 1.2M?
It's not as if he has a good track record in recruiting anyone of note....but we all hope he will announce something soon, his first real feather in his cap
Have you honestly expected us to recruit top line talent with our cap situation? We are shopping at Toyota but we can only afford a LDV

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Its our own stupid fault for letting a delusional, fatigued, injury prone 'team' member play rep footy whilst he should have hung up the boots for the rest of the season and just chilled. Maybe the club should have done the responsible thing, looked to the bigger picture like fans did before he took the field knowing he'd get injured and telling him to pull his fuckin head in and sit out the off season. Lewis is our senior half this year, that is a bitter pill to swallow.
Not sure the club can do that mate.
From what I’ve been told clubs can only contractually enforce stopping players doing things outside footy that could potentially seriously injure them eg: boxing in the off-season. If it’s footy and the player wants to play and is eligible for selection I don’t think the club can stand in their way. Hence this whole compensation argument for when a player gets injured playing rep footy and it hurts the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Have you honestly expected us to recruit top line talent with our cap situation? We are shopping at Toyota but we can only afford a LDV
Mate, what’s with the common sense?
Do you mind? :-)