News Bulldogs-bound Lafai to become next Dragon to depart

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not a bad signing at all...
Montoya and Holland should be moved on Harper is going, we will need CTW depth next season and he will come cheap.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lafai can't steady the ship or handle pressure. He's an erratic, inconsistent error prone player. That's why he barely plays anymore.

Look where these stop gap and "experienced" players have got us for the last three years..
Spot on this really. Part of me was trying to find some type of justification as to why we would sign him but ... you're right.

We need to go after the best not just gap fills anymore. May aswell write off the season and blood as many youngsters as possible, then start off next year from scratch.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spot on this really. Part of me was trying to find some type of justification as to why we would sign him but ... you're right.

We need to go after the best not just gap fills anymore. May aswell write off the season and blood as many youngsters as possible, then start off next year from scratch.
What can you do if the best youngsters won’t sign for us? I’m sick to death seeing Holland or Smith in the centres. I know Lafai hasn’t set the world at the Dragons but was solid. YouTube videos don’t do justice but this is surely better than what we have.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where’s graham going?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What can you do if the best youngsters won’t sign for us? I’m sick to death seeing Holland or Smith in the centres. I know Lafai hasn’t set the world at the Dragons but was solid. YouTube videos don’t do justice but this is surely better than what we have.

Do we want just 'solid' though? Or are we finally going to start to aim and expect higher than that? Does a winning culture start with signing solid players? Or going for the best whether they be present or future players?

Get what you're saying though as we need to get to the point where we can attract such players. It's a balancing act, that's for sure.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he came real cheap... Not a signature I would have made.

Hopefully he sparks - if true.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do we want just 'solid' though? Or are we finally going to start to aim and expect higher than that? Does a winning culture start with signing solid players? Or going for the best whether they be present or future players?

Get what you're saying though as we need to get to the point where we can attract such players. It's a balancing act, that's for sure.
We should definitely be aiming higher and being linked with Cotric is a great start. Let’s hope it eventually pays off. The Knights started to sign solid players then recruited the likes of Klemmer, Pearce and Frizell. They took a massive punt on Ponga and now they are top 8 team pushing 4th. As you said, it’s a balancing act and won’t be easy.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lafai (21 Games)
Tries: 2
Try Assists: 5
Line Breaks: 5
Line Break Assists: 6
Tackle Breaks: 43
Miss Tackles: 27*
Offloads: 34*
Errors: 14*
Metres Gained: 93m/game
Penalties Conceded: 7

Hopoate (21 Games)
Tries: 5*
Try Assists: 6*
Line Breaks: 6*
Tackle Breaks: 71*
Miss Tackles: 34
Offloads: 31
Errors: 17
Metres Gained: 146m/game*
Penalties Conceded: 7

Yikes.
Holland 2018:Last time he played right centre before being shifted
Tries. 6
Try assists 4
Line breaks 7
Line break assists 8
Tackle breaks 63
Missed tackles28
Offloads 43
Errors 14
Metres gained 107/game
Games 20
Also had the best stats of any centre in the NRL for the last quarter of the season.
Had a great combination with Smith
2019 Pay split them up at the start of the season and we all know the rest. We have the talent here if only they were coached properly.
Also kicked at 100% for the season for those who like stats...

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have you’s been watching this dumb fuck playing for the dragons? He is fucking awful and down the pecking order for good reason. He’s slow and lazy. This board is dead set out to bury us before they eventually get voted out.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Might as well bring back Kasiano, Reynolds, Frank Pritchard and Mbye too if were travelling down this road again.
This board LOLLL I have nothing more to say ffs

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lafai was actually half decent when he first signed for the dragons so much so I was upset we let him go at the time, that was 4 years ago though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Holland 2018:Last time he played right centre before being shifted
Tries. 6
Try assists 4
Line breaks 7
Line break assists 8
Tackle breaks 63
Missed tackles28
Offloads 43
Errors 14
Metres gained 107/game
Games 20
Also had the best stats of any centre in the NRL for the last quarter of the season.
Had a great combination with Smith
2019 Pay split them up at the start of the season and we all know the rest. We have the talent here if only they were coached properly.
Also kicked at 100% for the season for those who like stats...
Holland 2018 (11 games)
Tries: 5
Try Assists: 3
Line Breaks: 6
Tackle Breaks: 30
Miss Tackles: 21
Offloads: 22
Errors: 13
Metres Gained: 91m/game
Penalties Conceded: 2

I'm not sure if you included 2019 games or off the bench (2018) games for Holland. These are his stats at centre in 2018 tho.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ple
Holland 2018 (11 games)

I'm not sure if you included 2019 games or off the bench (2018) games for Holland. These are his stats at centre in 2018 tho.
please stop. Holland is a homeless bum come
End of year and for good reason.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland 2018 (11 games)

Depends where you get the stats from,Your Hoppa ones include games at fullback so please do not think your figures are always correct

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Depends where you get the stats from,Your Hoppa ones include games at fullback so please do not think your figures are always correct
Hopoate's is sorted by centre. I'm aware there would be a game or two where Hopoate was named at centre and played fullback. Nothing you can do in regards to that unless I went back and watched every game. You said Holland played 20 games at centre is 2018 when he definitely didn't and was coming off the bench for at least half the season. Sorry that my figures are correct unlike yours.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
The emphasis was on what Pay has done as a coach and that Lafai is not the answer

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much better then what we have now, Remis is not a center.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We should definitely be aiming higher and being linked with Cotric is a great start. Let’s hope it eventually pays off. The Knights started to sign solid players then recruited the likes of Klemmer, Pearce and Frizell. They took a massive punt on Ponga and now they are top 8 team pushing 4th. As you said, it’s a balancing act and won’t be easy.
It's going to take some time and patience without a doubt. It's getting to the point though that there really needs to be some clear steps forward as where we're at right now ... ain't pretty for sure!