News Bulldogs-bound Lafai to become next Dragon to depart

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Lafai is set for a Canterbury homecoming that could result in him playing against St George Illawarra next weekend.

Lafai is poised to become the latest Dragon to leave the club before his contract expires, following the likes of James Graham and Issac Luke in recent weeks. Winger Jason Saab has also been agitating for a release, while Tristan Sailor is frustrated by a lack of opportunities at the Red V
Lafai began his NRL career at the Bulldogs, where he made 74 first-grade appearances. The blue and whites are attempting to bolster their back line and are keen for him to join immediately. The deal is for the rest of 2020 with the potential for a longer arrangement if he settles in at Belmore.

If the Dragons can reach a termination settlement before Tuesday’s team lists are named, Lafai could face his former club in next Saturday’s clash between the sides at WIN Stadium.
The Bulldogs are also eyeing Canberra’s Nick Cotric for next year, and are hopeful of retaining off-contract stars Adam Elliott and Kieran Foran.
While all eyes are on David Fifita, as he weighs up whether to stay in Brisbane or accept a monster Gold Coast contract reportedly worth $1.25 million a year, there are other moves being made in the market.

Manly have re-signed playmaker Cade Cust on a two-year deal. The 21-year-old has been in Des Hasler’s 17 for the past three weeks and will again come off the bench in Sunday’s clash with the Dragons

The Red V continue to consider replacements for English international Graham, with Penrith’s Kaide Ellis on the shortlist.

Another Panther, Jed Cartwright, has signed a three-year deal to join South Sydney. The son of former representative player and NRL coach John Cartwright is expected to add to his sole NRL appearance when he shifts to Redfern next year.

Several clubs are keeping an eye on sacked Bulldog Corey Harawira-Naera. The New Zealand international is seeking leave to appeal his indefinite suspension following a preseason scandal in Port Macquarie. The Roosters and Tigers are monitoring the outcome closely in the belief he could provide good value if allowed to return to the NRL.
Any chance Lafai can bring Dufty , Saab, Lomax & Sailor with him ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it has dawned on Pay that Reimis is a disaster at centre and he’s going back to the wing and Lafai will replace him. I just hope this doesn’t turn into a road block for Averillo getting game time.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes. But what a player right now. Not at the end of the year but now.
I wouldn't be signing a player for now, I'd be building for 2021 (and that would of been my mindset from round one). Lafai doesn't fit the build. I don't know who's available but we should be holding the $ for a DWZ like signing. A stop gap signing for one season doesn't do anything for us next year.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't be fucked right now. Case in point, Penrith give a debut to this Staines kid and he scores 4 tries. Why not try and take a chance on another player like him as opposed to an average player like Lafai?
Issue with giving debuts to youngsters is that you need to have a decent team around them. Which obviously we don't. And we can't expect a youngster, especially in the backline, to step up when the forwards aren't making space, the hooker is throwing it over the sideline, the halves are all over the shop etc. etc.

Penrith have a solid team around these young guys coming in. We don't. So perhaps the thinking is to bring in a guy with a little more experience to steady the ship somewhat. Someone who can potentially handle the pressure?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't be fucked right now. Case in point, Penrith give a debut to this Staines kid and he scores 4 tries. Why not try and take a chance on another player like him as opposed to an average player like Lafai?
Exactly like Schouup..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A Mediocre signing that suits a mediocre club like us.. we are a joke unfortunately..

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where’s rona he wants to come back to league he still follows the clubs social media I see it he like posts all the time he was a gun

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Issue with giving debuts to youngsters is that you need to have a decent team around them. Which obviously we don't. And we can't expect a youngster, especially in the backline, to step up when the forwards aren't making space, the hooker is throwing it over the sideline, the halves are all over the shop etc. etc.

Penrith have a solid team around these young guys coming in. We don't. So perhaps the thinking is to bring in a guy with a little more experience to steady the ship somewhat. Someone who can potentially handle the pressure?
Lafai can't steady the ship or handle pressure. He's an erratic, inconsistent error prone player. That's why he barely plays anymore.

Look where these stop gap and "experienced" players have got us for the last three years..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe it has dawned on Pay that Reimis is a disaster at centre and he’s going back to the wing and Lafai will replace him. I just hope this doesn’t turn into a road block for Averillo getting game time.
You know it will. Jake will be lucky to make the bench in our star studded team.

Changes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lafai can't steady the ship or handle pressure. He's an erratic, inconsistent error prone player. That's why he barely plays anymore.

Look where these stop gap and "experienced" players have got us for the last three years..
Well done board and Hill. We are clearly so excited now. What a joke.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Staines was basically falling over the line. His last try he beat one player. I was more impressed with his try assist. That was more the players around him (the tries he scored). Meaney or Crichton would of scored those tries. This is also how we were tricked into buying Crichton.
We got the wrong Chrichton. I'm not saying Staines is a star. I'm saying poach a kid like him that is blocked for a run and see if they pan out.

Why sign someone we know first hand is shit? Our club let him go five years ago and they sign him again when he's worse now and doesn't even play anymore?

You couldn't make this shit up.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this even possible. They are just openly mocking the salary cap and the joke of the nrl won't do anything of course.
Absolutely, They have been doing it for years & getting away with it, imagine their first grade international winger gets injured and they are able to bring on a reserve player that scores them 5 trys on debut, they have every position covered 3 times over while other teams like us have to battle over the dregs and get punished if we are even slightly over this ridiculous NRL Salary Cap.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This could mean one of two thing...
1 We can't get not one good player to sign for us :frowning:
2 The current management know they are on the way out and this is their way of revenge :grimacing:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is impossible [supposed to be anyway] to win back to back comps, have 6 first graders injured before one game and then win by 40.

teams must get weaker after winning 1 comp the way the cap is set up.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD of all the dragons looking to leave, we sign Lafai. Not only is this a bad signing for us but this now forces them to play their young guns who we should have chased.
I'm so done after tonight.
We should be going hard after Dufty, Plenty of speed & a Fullback that can actually catch the ball and run.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is impossible [supposed to be anyway] to win back to back comps, have 6 first graders injured before one game and then win by 40.

teams must get weaker after winning 1 comp the way the cap is set up.
Good coaching and good structures for you.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair, with the situation as desperate as it is, they are looking for any help, hence Nothing wrong with Lafai, if this is the case. he still loves the Doggs , always has... and will put the effort in, much better than what we have now!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's 29 by the way. Such great upside.. Even if he contributes this season, does he help us win four games instead of two?

I'm sure after one decent game they'll extend him for three seasons.