Bulldogs Board Fallout Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coorey top dog at Canterbury League Club

George Coorey has been appointed the new boss of the Canterbury League Club as the warring factions at Belmore pledge to put their differences behind them.

Coorey tipped out his brother and longtime Bulldogs powerbroker Arthur for the final of three vacant positions at last weekend's hostile Canterbury League Club elections, helping the football club directorship cling to a majority at the top table of the leagues club.

Coorey will replace NSW Rugby League boss George Peponis as Canterbury League Club chairman. Peter Callaghan will serve as his deputy.

Peponis and Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer safely won re-election to the Canterbury League Club board, but needed Arthur Coorey, who ran on their ticket, to also poll in the top three to seize power from Lynne Anderson's football club directors.

Peponis added two independents, former NSW premier Morris Iemma and UBS investment banker George Kanaan, to the Canterbury League Club board at the 11th hour before last weekend's elections.

It was a tactic designed to dilute the power of the football club board, which was guaranteed four appointees on a seven-person board before it was expanded to nine.

But George Coorey's campaign proved enough to be re-elected and having aligned himself with the football club powerbrokers, he will now assume the chairmanship of Canterbury League Club after a meeting on Friday afternoon.

Controversial Canterbury League Club board appointee James Marroun fell on his sword despite being one of four football club appointees last week after it was revealed he is a former bankrupt who is currently serving a suspension from any involvement in junior rugby league.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I read about Peponis using an old loophole in the club constitution to bring in two extra members on the leagues club board which meant the football club board no longer had the balance of power. The rule allows the extra directors to be in place for two years. From memory Bob Carr may have been one of the guys appointed.
The two extra directors would've been significant had another independent or someone on the Dib group got up however George Coorey ran on the reform group ticket and got elected which tips the balance of power to the Anderson group

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@Alan79 the two additional directors came about because Peponis is on the board for Clubs NSW and has prior knowledge that the Registered Clubs Act will be changing soon. Part of those changes will be the requirement for 2 independent directors to be appointed to all club boards for additional transparency. Hence why the appointments were made.

As for Garry McIntyre... FUCK NO ... anyone who wants him back has short memories of the biggest salary cap smear in the clubs history.

Besides Peter Callaghan is an SC and already on the board.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Alan79 the two additional directors came about because Peponis is on the board for Clubs NSW and has prior knowledge that the Registered Clubs Act will be changing soon. Part of those changes will be the requirement for 2 independent directors to be appointed to all club boards for additional transparency. Hence why the appointments were made.

As for Garry McIntyre... FUCK NO ... anyone who wants him back has short memories of the biggest salary cap smear in the clubs history.

I assumed it was Peponis putting a lid on what he maybe saw as a potentially nepotistic (due to the Andersons relationship) and power hungry football club board. I tend to read up on most of this but leave my judgement till after the leaders of the club get their chance to sink swim or build a boat and keep the club sailing on smooth waters. Without the stalking of the news media last week I think the club had made some pretty solid moves towards building that boat. I really don't know the background of why Dave Brace left or was pushed. But in the grand scheme of things our leagues club tends to be a highly successful business whoever is running it. The next chief executive will have an easier role to step into than the football board did.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
From Rothfield:
THE fallout continues at Belmore as a result of the boardroom bloodshed this year. Highly regarded league club chief executive Dave Brace left last week by ‘mutual agreement’ with the board. Directors on the successful ticket of Lynne Anderson were behind his departure.

Brace is widely respected as one of the top licensed club administrators in the country. In recent years, he has overseen a $100 million refurbishment of Canterbury League Club which is poised to become the number one club for members’ facilities in Sydney.
Umm. Slight problem. Is he psychic? The article says he quit last week. Mad Monday was this week at the time of writing. Did he quit because of mad Monday before it happened?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Umm. Slight problem. Is he psychic? The article says he quit last week. Mad Monday was this week at the time of writing. Did he quit because of mad Monday before it happened?
I think he was referring to the continued fall out from the board elections.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
As much as that's the case normally, what part of this story is fabricated?
Well he proceeds to hammer the dogs, then praises Gallen for helping an old lady...

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

McIntyre should never be allowed to drive through Belmore OR Liverpool let alone be on any board even remotely related to Rugby League.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have you met the bloke? He is an absolute champion and had the dogs best interest at heart..
Then he got Peter Moore booted from the the Leagues Club and Rugby League Club boards, Got us involved in the Oasis Project (less said about that the better), and was responcible for the salary cap shit.

Might be a champion bloke but if I called his tenure with the Bulldogs a complete and utter failure, I would be taking it very easy on him.

By all means lets restore the guy who was the architect of our greatest failures to a position of power, he might get it right this time and we stop to exist at all.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I assumed it was Peponis putting a lid on what he maybe saw as a potentially nepotistic (due to the Andersons relationship) and power hungry football club board. I tend to read up on most of this but leave my judgement till after the leaders of the club get their chance to sink swim or build a boat and keep the club sailing on smooth waters. Without the stalking of the news media last week I think the club had made some pretty solid moves towards building that boat. I really don't know the background of why Dave Brace left or was pushed. But in the grand scheme of things our leagues club tends to be a highly successful business whoever is running it. The next chief executive will have an easier role to step into than the football board did.
I've work in the industry and Dave Brace is an experienced operator, was CEO of Wenty leagues before Canterbury. I think the fact he was hired by the old board and obviously would've developed some close ties with some of those directors as would naturally happen would've been a big reason for his departure. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a CEO that is more inline with what they want at the football club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've work in the industry and Dave Brace is an experienced operator, was CEO of Wenty leagues before Canterbury. I think the fact he was hired by the old board and obviously would've developed some close ties with some of those directors as would naturally happen would've been a big reason for his departure. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a CEO that is more inline with what they want at the football club.
John Ballesty to run the Leagues Club again?

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would mcintyre or ballesty want to be ceo of the leagues club? One used to tell the ceo what to do and that was 15/20 years ago. The other gave up the position years ago and in the 70s.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oasis project was a great idea but the timing was just a year too late. By the time it got underway the labor government unexpectedly imposed a poker machine embargo and refused to grant the licences. The project would have won the dogs a huge south west Sydney territory and their own stadium. Unfortunately there were some leading labor members in the government building their private hotel fortunes on the back of granting their hotels poker machines. Perhaps the licensed club was unnecessary to the project and the time when pokies underwrite the profitability of a licensed club has passed. But given the context at a time when clubs were being forced to merge or be cut if they couldn’t demonstrate they had sufficient self funding to stay above the cut, the oasis money may well have saved the dogs as a stand alone club. There was a lot of pressure to have the dogs merge. So hold fire on the criticism.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The oasis project was a great idea but the timing was just a year too late. By the time it got underway the labor government unexpectedly imposed a poker machine embargo and refused to grant the licences. The project would have won the dogs a huge south west Sydney territory and their own stadium. Unfortunately there were some leading labor members in the government building their private hotel fortunes on the back of granting their hotels poker machines. Perhaps the licensed club was unnecessary to the project and the time when pokies underwrite the profitability of a licensed club has passed. But given the context at a time when clubs were being forced to merge or be cut if they couldn’t demonstrate they had sufficient self funding to stay above the cut, the oasis money may well have saved the dogs as a stand alone club. There was a lot of pressure to have the dogs merge. So hold fire on the criticism.
I don't know the ins and outs of the project but the Oasis plan was a brilliant idea and concept for the Club (at face value).

Imagine how we'd be placed now if it had been pulled off. Kinda like if in the 70's Gough's idea of buying back the farm and mines. If it wasn't for that Kemlani guy, Australia would be sitting pretty instead of OS companies owning most of us :grinning:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I read about Peponis using an old loophole in the club constitution to bring in two extra members on the leagues club board which meant the football club board no longer had the balance of power. The rule allows the extra directors to be in place for two years. From memory Bob Carr may have been one of the guys appointed.

Anyone involved with the club who doesn't have as their main objective the success of the club on the field is working against us IMO.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is going to be more news regarding MAD MONDAY situation. We are not clear , its about time our board come out and make a statement to the public. I have never seen a more piss weak committee than this one. Where the f... are the Anderson's on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.