News Bulldogs bid to poach Phil Gould from Warriors

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that he always keeps his options open and this Warriors role is only a short term one until he moves on to the next role..

But you can't be a consultant or any kind of official at two clubs at the same time. What if the Warriors and Bulldogs were chasing the same player? He'd know details of both clubs offers, cap space etc.
That's solved easily.

His agreements are probably based on systems, programs and pathways, ie tangible outcomes that would earn him one hell of a high (and probably inflated) rate. I'd say he then as a 'nice gesture' or sweetener to demonstrate value to the club, offers to help out the club where he can with recruitment. This might be through identifying a player, sounding out a player manager, or otherwise steering a player toward the respective club.

If he's in a situation where a player is interested in both clubs or simply both clubs are interested, then he can either simply provide a pitch or introduction for both clubs and stay out of negotiations, or if that's not an option then he simply tells both clubs he'll sit this one out and not get involved.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's solved easily.

His agreements are probably based on systems, programs and pathways, ie tangible outcomes that would earn him one hell of a high (and probably inflated) rate. I'd say he then as a 'nice gesture' or sweetener to demonstrate value to the club, offers to help out the club where he can with recruitment. This might be through identifying a player, sounding out a player manager, or otherwise steering a player toward the respective club.

If he's in a situation where a player is interested in both clubs or simply both clubs are interested, then he can either simply provide a pitch or introduction for both clubs and stay out of negotiations, or if that's not an option then he simply tells both clubs he'll sit this one out and not get involved.
I think suggesting players to two clubs would be a messy situation and would defeat the purpose of hiring him. It's all moot anyway, he'll either stay in that role, join us or move onto something else.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That person is called the NRL. The survival of a so called “National Competition” requires The Melbourne storm to remain successful. It’s clear as day, they don’t have a junior base like the panthers or grassroots footy. They get the best young talent from Queensland and other areas to a lesser extent, it’s a pathway set up by the NRL that encourages this talent to head to the Storm. It is so obvious it’s a setup artificially created to ensure they remain strong every year. Now, I’m not discrediting the genius of Bellamy or the storms professional system they have in place, it’s not all given to them but they do get special treatment regarding player pathways and some of the best talent throughout the country to ensure Victoria has a strong rugby league team perpetually.
Melbourne absolutely have "a junior base" it's in SE Qld centered around the Brisbane Tigers and the Sunshine Coast Falcons. They also appear to have a "scholarship" style program with Keebra Park High School on the Gold Coast as part of their "Academy".

The Warriors also have a feeder club in SE Qld, being the Redcliffe Dolphins, who are my tip for the next NRL club.

FWIW the Melbourne club owners are Matt Tripp, Bart Campbell and Gerry Ryan.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of the questions I have regarding the whole story is this statement -

"The Channel 9 commentator discussed the Bulldogs bid with Warriors coach Nathan Brown, club CEO Cameron George and club owner, Mark Robinson"

Why tell all of them if it didn't reach the point of serious consideration from Gus???
So my guess is that he did seriously consider it.

Then there is this-
"They are looking at the request favourably because Covid has prevented Gould from doing the job at full capacity by regularly travelling to New Zealand". (News Report)
And This -
" We asked him if he genuinely wanted to pursue the opportunity and he told us he was committed to the Warriors. (Warriors Boss)

These 2 quotes tell me that the Warriors were more than willing to entertain the idea.

Then there's the 2 big questions, the most important ones-

1. Who leaked the story to the media???
&
2. What was their motivation for doing so???

Answer-
IMO, it wouldn't be us (the Bulldogs) as it would only make ourselves look worse than what we already are.
This story actually makes us more desperate to land a big kill soon, & perhaps force us into offering a bigger deal.

So it can only be 1 of 2 parties.

It's Either

-The Warriors, as the are not happy with the job Gould is doing & believe they are not getting value for money (perhaps covid restrictions a factor)

OR

- Gould himself, who wants to portray himself as the good guy by staying committed but simply wants a better "OUT DEAL", which may include a payout from the Warriors in a settlement deal &/Or perhaps more coin from the Dogs. Or, more coin from the Warriors to stay.

It seems to me that Gus Gould is currently holding all the cards & is manipulating the situation to the best of his ability for his best possible outcome.

Whatever it is, I don't think we have heard the end of this story yet.

And if I were a betting man, by the end of the year I believe the Warriors & Gus will decide to part ways as by way of a mutual agreement.
You could be on the money Papa, there are too many holes in the story...
I honestly still believe that Ch9 is or will be the obstacle !!!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Melbourne absolutely have "a junior base" it's in SE Qld centered around the Brisbane Tigers and the Sunshine Coast Falcons. They also appear to have a "scholarship" style program with Keebra Park High School on the Gold Coast as part of their "Academy".

The Warriors also have a feeder club in SE Qld, being the Redcliffe Dolphins, who are my tip for the next NRL club.

FWIW the club owners are Matt Tripp, Bart Campbell and Gerry Ryan.

Go Dogs

I didn't say they didn't have a junior base...I said they didn't have a junior base like "the panthers"...don't misquote me flog.
May I add they also don't have a junior base like many other sides like Parramatta for example or St George Illawarra, add Canterbury or whoever you want to it. These junior bases are home grown, in the local areas relative to their clubs. Clubs like Parra and Penrith cover a massive area in Sydney and have a smorgasbord to choose from. Melbourne's is set up, helped by the NRL. They will never allow the Storm to be a weak club. I'm still adamant you're Oatley Dog who was a Mr know it all like yourself.

Go Flogs!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lord O Lord, do we have some peanut brains on TK. If Gould has even been spoken off, at board level I can only say that we also have peanut brains in the Clubs Administration.
Over many, many years Gould has maligned our club with very clever but ferocious comments, no doubt he has now mellowed down, probably for 2 reasons. One we are now a basket case and as much threat to Politis's club as I am to the Martians. Secondly most other commentators are now doing his job of discrediting our club (we see examples every single week such as poor old Flanno).
Is anyone willing to deny the fact that much of the media have continually shown a bias against our Club.
Why not go cap in hand for Wayne Bennet and see if he will come over for a year or two. To me he is not a man who carries agendas and has genuine integrity, and I believe that he could do anything Gould could do.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You could be on the money Papa, there are too many holes in the story...
I honestly still believe that Ch9 is or will be the obstacle !!!
Why would 9 be an obstacle? He was still a commentator when he was at Penrith.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

FWIW the Melbourne club owners are Matt Tripp, Bart Campbell and Gerry Ryan.

Go Dogs

can't find any such link with Melbourne

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I dont get is approaching Peter farkin Parr. Doesnt he have the same type of role at the Cowboys ?

The cowboys development has been diabolical of late and they have a massive catchment area. They let Kikau slip through the cracks as well as quiet a few others. They have had to pay $800k for Chad Townsend ffs.

A club with so much talent to pick from shouldn't have to recruit as much as they do so obviously their pathways are not up to scratch.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would 9 be an obstacle? He was still a commentator when he was at Penrith.
The animosity that Ch9 and News Ltd had for us after the super league war still exist, their so called football experts attack us at every opportunity, they have gone to a new low advising players coaches and coaching staff not to sign with us...Does this any tell us thing ?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Club gave Gould its professional coaching start and he learned a lot about the admin and politics side of the game via Bullfrog.

Yes, he is observed as having a deeper passion for Roosters and Panthers which appears pretty obvious, but he still has good things to say about us and I would say that it’s a legacy thing for him now unless an irresistible figure dollar wise is in front of him.

I think we as fans are talking out of frustration and desperation, trust the process, we will pick up some more quality signings by the end of the year.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

can't find any such link with Melbourne
Now Titans

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of club has been running week to week without a general football manager? Wtf kind of management is khoury running.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other candidates??? There are surely other high profile candidates at amalgamating junior clubs and pathways Gould has no good intention for this club....Send us some forwards Hansen... We need look sth afrika and England for some forwards and we need players fitness to be a reflection of the facilities....