Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Bulldogs bemoan turns for the worse
By Steve Mascord
April 16, 2005

Bulldogs players identified two turning points which caused them to toss a 16-0 lead over Sydney Roosters into the sewer last night - and neither of them featured Adrian Morley.

The Great Britain enforcer was the name on everyone's lips after the Sydney Roosters beat the Bulldogs 29-16 at Telstra Stadium. His sending-off predated the Bondi Junction side hitting the front for the first time by all of two minutes.

But while Morley's name is up in lights this morning, it didn't rate much of a mention in the premiers' dressing rooms an hour after full-time.

Instead, second-rower Nate Myles being held up in the 25th minute and prop Roy Asotasi being denied a try by the video referee in the 65th were causing the most shaking of heads.

"I think Nate's was the biggest turning point," said five-eighth Braith Anasta. "If Nate scores that try, it's a massive turnaround."

With the Belmore boys ahead 16-0, rookie Myles threw a dummy and ambled over the line for what looked like the latest try in a procession.

Advertisement
AdvertisementBut Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello showed why he is the Australian custodian by getting underneath Myles and holding him up.

Two minutes later, Roosters centre Ryan Cross scored at the other end. "It could have been 22-0, instead it was 16-6," lamented Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes.

Then there was Asotasi's "try", disallowed by fourth official Graeme West, with 15 minutes left and Ricky Stuart's men ahead by six.

Halfback Brent Sherwin kicked ahead, opposite number Brett Finch fumbled, Anasta dived for it and the big Kiwi claimed his four points under the posts.

Referee Paul Simpkins and West were not made available to the Herald last night when we called at their change rooms, but an NRL spokesman said the try was disallowed because Anasta was offside from the original kick.

Anasta said: "I didn't know why it was disallowed, to tell you the truth. I thought it was a try but they didn't, so that's the main thing.

"I think the ball might have ricocheted off my shoulder but I certainly didn't play at the ball or touch it with my hands. I didn't even see 'em look at it."

When Folkes was asked about the ruling at the post match media conference, he conducted a straw poll of reporters to see if anyone had thought his pivot was offside. None did.

Asotasi said: "All I saw was the ball over the try line and I tried to jump all over it.

"We were a bit unlucky but I guess the Roosters did do pretty good one man short."

But the Bulldogs did admit Morley's dismissal had a positive effect on their opponents.

"They fired up, played a lot smarter football," said Anasta. "We played dumb football.

"There were a number of turning points. Unfortunately, we let them get back into the game. That's our problem, no one else's."

Dogs_Goddess™

Miss Perfection
Reaction score
so true.... sending morley off probably delivered them that win.. even the easts supporters we were with were admitting it.. fired them up so much

that asotasi try so should have been allowed

F

fatal1

how convenient - the ref isnt available for comment

probably recieving it from the other end from either gus or ricky's dicky.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
well i did think that morely sent off was a hit harsh but really seriously... the NRL has the technology and why dont they use it properly like in all other sports except for soccer?

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ah this offside rule is one of the worst in rugby league, this one happens all the time, when someone did not play at the ball but is within the 10m radius, this rule should be fixed.

anyhow, Roosters should have had a 13 man side for the last 30 mins, so really, the poor calls were either way.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
I cringed as soon as I saw Morley sent off. Not so much because it would fire the Roosters, but because I thought that our guys would slacken off.

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
I guess the Roosters did do pretty good one man short."
WHAT A MAN i know it would b hard to admitt it but thanks and Asotasi if i had to name my fav dogs player he would prob be it good man and good player from sky vision it looked offside but maybe | | that much or something VERY SMALLL no doubt morley getting sent off fired up the boys but poor mozza

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
When Folkes was asked about the ruling at the post match media conference, he conducted a straw poll of reporters to see if anyone had thought his pivot was offside. None did.

I would like to watch the incident again but from being at the game and removing bias I really felt as though they try should have been awarded and the scores locked at 22 - 22.

Omathara

Malcolm Noad Fan #302
Reaction score
fatal1™ said:
how convenient - the ref isnt available for comment

probably recieving it from the other end from either gus or ricky's dicky.
Nah his brown paper bag filled with notes blew away in the wind last night. He was last seen chasing it down Bondi Beach :grinning: :p

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
The Dogs know what the problems are. The tide will turn soon.

Bellz

Bellz
Reaction score
Asotasi's try should have been allowed. Anasta was not offside. I don't understand how the video ref couldn't see that.

MSeLmAgIc

*Mutha Function*
Reaction score
Anyways it doesnt matter, its rd 6 we will come back next week, at least we played well for the first 25mins, and it shows that we can play well, all we need to do is play like that 4 da full 80, it will take time our team needs to get used to all da boys in da side remember that, and our bench is not da same anymore, our team just needs to get used to not having Price, Feeney and Scott, and also not having Sonny and Asotasi coming off da bench, it will all come together soon. I have faith in our boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.