Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/24/bulldogs-aim-four-row

A win over last-placed Newcastle on Saturday will lock in a finals spot for Canterbury for the fourth straight year under coach Des Hasler.

They've taken down the NRL leaders and defending premiers in back-to-back weeks, but Canterbury's Tim Lafai reckons Saturday's clash with last-placed Newcastle is a danger game.

The Bulldogs centre insisted the team wouldn't be letting their guard down against the struggling Knights and would extend their winning streak to a season-high four games, including the prized scalps of Brisbane and South Sydney.

But Lafai said he remained wary.

"It's always these games where teams ease off, but I'm pretty sure Des (Hasler) will be saying that we've got to treat this team just like we did the top four teams," Lafai said on Monday.

"Because it's not far from the finals, we've got to treat them like they are a threat."

A victory would also lock in a finals birth for the Bulldogs for the fourth straight year under the former Manly mentor.

Canterbury were impressive winners in Brisbane a fortnight ago, while their resounding victory over the Rabbitohs last week immediately lifted last year's grand finalists back into premiership contention.

Lafai admitted the team had lifted its intensity over the past two weeks to prove they were worthy contenders for the title.

"It's just come to a point towards the end of the season where it's getting close and all the teams are desperate for that top eight spot," he said.

"We've got to start playing good footy if we want to be there going into the finals. We've got to beat the big teams if we come to verse them."

This time last year the Bulldogs had arrested a four-game slide with consecutive wins, and then faltered in the final two rounds before going on a surprising run to the decider.

However Lafai said it was important to keep their winning momentum going into the finals this year.

"It's always nice going into the finals knowing you've strung a few wins together. It helps a lot confidence-wise," he said.

Veteran prop Aidan Tolman is expected return from a hamstring injury while utility Josh Reynolds (knee) remains one week away.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to win 30 plus this week

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Unlike last year we are gaining confidence and winning games moving towards the semis

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
if they aim for 4 in a row and miss the top 4 then they have to aim for 8 in a row to win the premiership.
I say lose the last game and stay in the 8 and then aim for 4 in a row .

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
if they aim for 4 in a row and miss the top 4 then they have to aim for 8 in a row to win the premiership.
I say lose the last game and stay in the 8 and then aim for 4 in a row .
That's crazy talk,
I say, just win every game

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Hope Lafai finally pulls out some form for this season....leaving it a little late?

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ffs last time I heard this "we won't take them lightly" talk we lost to the Titans

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just get the two points as the weather and conditions will be cold, pooring rain and windy. I think completed sets might actually work this week.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Based on tonight's effort, just completing our sets won't be enough. So glad the knights have showed us what they are capable of tonight so there's no excuses for next week. We must turn up and put in for 80 minutes.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Based on tonight's effort, just completing our sets won't be enough. So glad the knights have showed us what they are capable of tonight so there's no excuses for next week. We must turn up and put in for 80 minutes.
Agree 100%. These sorts of games are always more of a danger in my mind. In saying that if we play like we did against Souths I don't see us struggling in this game.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree 100%. These sorts of games are always more of a danger in my mind. In saying that if we play like we did against Souths I don't see us struggling in this game.
We will have to play like we did against Souths based on that performance from the knights tonight. We have a really poor record over there and it's their old boys day, a day that the knights are traditionally very hard to beat. Out forwards must aim up and hopefully we can run away with it at the end. Can't wait to see Kas, Klem, Beast, Graham and Frankie rip in!

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we play like we did against Souths I don't see us struggling in ANY game. There is NO WAY any team can beat us the way we played against Souths. That left edge in ATTACK is fukn Lethal and mbye is really taking control of it which is impressive.

Our forwards are just awesome the past couple of weeks.

The disappointing thing about this whole thing is that Tolman and Reynolds need to come back and well as much as Id like to see them in the team Id rather them sit out coz the forward rotation used the past couple of weeks is awesome and our halves have done a great job and well Cook did great last week so I dont see the need for Tolman and Reynolds to come in.

But like always Des will slot them in and I see Perret and Lane losing there spots to Cater for these two unfortunately.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well sounds like they have acknowledged they can't pissfart around in this game.

Knights showed tonight they are out there to ruin seasons.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think once the finals start, the boys will "re set" and start again, it's a whole new competition.
Don't think there is any more pressure if you go into a GF on a 7 game winning streak or a 3 game winning streak, whether you win or lost a game over a month ago is not going to enter into your thinking, if it does
a) your coach has let you down and not prepared you adequately or
b) you're weak mentally as a player
c) you're a superstitious kenneller!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lafai needs a big game this weekend. Our left side attack is our dominant side, however Scott will be covering that edge hard. Sione Mata'utia made some bad defensive errors tonight and has done over the last few weeks. The boys need to sweep right all day against newcastle

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, it was very considerate of them to do a number on the Storm just to let us know what's going to happen when they play us.

IMO a good win against the Knights will be valuable in our finals preparation.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well sounds like they have acknowledged they can't pissfart around in this game.

Knights showed tonight they are out there to ruin seasons.
that's correct, but I think that win (against the storm), is a wakeup call and we won't take hem lite

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Watching last night, I think the Knights have played their grand final, I think the storm down in Melbourne was as big a win as they want, even Gidley said that this win was one of of his best wins. This was against the Storms, against the team that put one of their friends in a wheel chair, they just wanted some revenge last night and nothing was going to stop them. I think we will cruise through this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.