Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs’ Biondi-Odo to line up in Lightning Challenge

Rowan Sparkes, rowan.sparkes@news.com.au, The Cairns Post
July 25, 2020 5:56pm

Everything Bailey Biondi-Odo does is just a step towards his goal of signing an NRL contract.

At least, that’s the way he sees it.

The Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player had a dream start to the 2020 season, earning selection in the Bulldog’s NRL Nines squad and coming off the bench in a couple of pre-season trial matches.

With a glimpse of the top level lighting a fire in his belly, the 18-year-old halfback was determined to make his mark with the Bulldogs’ under-20s in the Jersey Flegg Cup competition.

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, 18. PICTURE: STEWART McLEAN

But, after just one round, his hopes of a breakout year were dashed as the coronavirus pandemic forced NSWRL to cancel nine competitions, including the Jersey Flegg Cup, for the 2020 season.

Next month, Biondi-Odo will finally get the opportunity to return to the field to get some valuable game time in the one-off Lightning Challenge rugby league series.

“(Northern Pride coach Ty Williams) text me and asked if I wanted to have a run, which I was pretty keen to do,” he said.

“It’ll be good to get back out there.”

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, 18. Picture: Supplied

While it won’t quite be a chance to impress his NRL club, the ever-determined Biondi-Odo was willing to take every opportunity to improve his game in the coronavirus-affected season, in the hope it can help him realise his NRL dream in the long run.

“I’m always looking to improve everything,” he said.

“I think there’s always room for improvement in every part of your game, but defence is probably the biggest thing for me at the moment.

“I want to get out there and just focus on some of those things like after I hit, making sure I stick and staying connected and stuff like that.”

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, pictured playing for Parramatta Eels’ Jersey Flegg Cup side in 2019 prior to joining the Bulldogs. Picture: Parramatta Eels/Supplied

Biondi-Odo said he didn’t know when he would be heading back to Sydney, as it was in the hands of the Bulldogs, but he was hopeful of being there for another pre-season with the club in November.

“It’s kind of weird times, but I’m just going to keep training, keep my body right, keep myself right and see what happens from there.

“I’d like to get back down there as soon as I can, but I’ll just have to wait and see what happens with everything.”

Biondi-Odo will be hoping the absence of this year’s Jersey Flegg Cup competition doesn’t have too much of an impact on his promising career trajectory.

“It’s been a weird year,” he said.

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, 18. Picture: Supplied

“I thought I was going really well when I was training with grade and then got a call up to the Nines, and I was looking to have a really good year.

“I got a seven-week pre-season in my contract and after the seven weeks they wanted me to train for the whole pre-season, then after the pre-season they wanted me to play in the Nines, then after that I played in a couple of trial games.

“I’ve just been training my way up, so hopefully I can go back and keep doing that.

“I’m not sure when I’ll be back (in Sydney), but I’m just focusing on myself and my body, keeping it intact and trying to put on a bit more weight.”

The Lightning Challenge will kick off on August 8 at Barlow Park.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs’ Biondi-Odo to line up in Lightning Challenge

Rowan Sparkes, rowan.sparkes@news.com.au, The Cairns Post
July 25, 2020 5:56pm

Everything Bailey Biondi-Odo does is just a step towards his goal of signing an NRL contract.

At least, that’s the way he sees it.

The Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player had a dream start to the 2020 season, earning selection in the Bulldog’s NRL Nines squad and coming off the bench in a couple of pre-season trial matches.

With a glimpse of the top level lighting a fire in his belly, the 18-year-old halfback was determined to make his mark with the Bulldogs’ under-20s in the Jersey Flegg Cup competition.

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, 18. PICTURE: STEWART McLEAN

But, after just one round, his hopes of a breakout year were dashed as the coronavirus pandemic forced NSWRL to cancel nine competitions, including the Jersey Flegg Cup, for the 2020 season.

Next month, Biondi-Odo will finally get the opportunity to return to the field to get some valuable game time in the one-off Lightning Challenge rugby league series.

“(Northern Pride coach Ty Williams) text me and asked if I wanted to have a run, which I was pretty keen to do,” he said.

“It’ll be good to get back out there.”

While it won’t quite be a chance to impress his NRL club, the ever-determined Biondi-Odo was willing to take every opportunity to improve his game in the coronavirus-affected season, in the hope it can help him realise his NRL dream in the long run.

“I’m always looking to improve everything,” he said.

“I think there’s always room for improvement in every part of your game, but defence is probably the biggest thing for me at the moment.

“I want to get out there and just focus on some of those things like after I hit, making sure I stick and staying connected and stuff like that.”

Innisfail product and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs junior development player Bailey Biondi-Odo, pictured playing for Parramatta Eels’ Jersey Flegg Cup side in 2019 prior to joining the Bulldogs. Picture: Parramatta Eels/Supplied

Biondi-Odo said he didn’t know when he would be heading back to Sydney, as it was in the hands of the Bulldogs, but he was hopeful of being there for another pre-season with the club in November.

“It’s kind of weird times, but I’m just going to keep training, keep my body right, keep myself right and see what happens from there.

“I’d like to get back down there as soon as I can, but I’ll just have to wait and see what happens with everything.”

Biondi-Odo will be hoping the absence of this year’s Jersey Flegg Cup competition doesn’t have too much of an impact on his promising career trajectory.

“It’s been a weird year,” he said.

“I thought I was going really well when I was training with grade and then got a call up to the Nines, and I was looking to have a really good year.

“I got a seven-week pre-season in my contract and after the seven weeks they wanted me to train for the whole pre-season, then after the pre-season they wanted me to play in the Nines, then after that I played in a couple of trial games.

“I’ve just been training my way up, so hopefully I can go back and keep doing that.

“I’m not sure when I’ll be back (in Sydney), but I’m just focusing on myself and my body, keeping it intact and trying to put on a bit more weight.”

The Lightning Challenge will kick off on August 8 at Barlow Park.
Thanks mate

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Probably would be a better half to have alongside Burton if we sign him. Good point of difference small zippy half, whereas Burton is a hard straight runner who doesn't mind doing the organisation

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
If anyone doesn't know thats Seumanutafa in 4th photo with the gold hair ... Beast

No burton needed dickheads

Bbo
Wakeham for me with a mean forward pack

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If anyone doesn't know thats Seumanutafa in 4th photo with the gold hair ... Beast

No burton needed dickheads

Bbo
Wakeham for me with a mean forward pack
Gold hair? Did he turn Super Saiyan or some shit?!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really feel sorry for all of the lower grade players that wasted a year of their careers and development. It's frustrating for them and for the clubs also to not be able to evaluate them all properly.

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Going to be a gun.
Hope he gets a run next year sometime

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Should definitely hold onto him. Glad he’s getting some sort of a run this year.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like he doesn’t even know where he’s at. The club probably forgot about him

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton has a good team around him, wakeham has a dud team to work with.
Wakeham hasn’t shown he can help a dud team be anymore then a dud team so far. Has been poor. I hope he has a blinder soon.

Having said that Lewis is a dud.

baz

Waterboy
Reaction score
He looks like a cross between Barber and Thurston.

Reactions: DT