Bulldog Tragic since 1967

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi to All. By way of intro. Long time reader of The Kennel and also supporter since my first Berries match in the 1967 GF. As a very small boy went to the ’67 GF, with my Dad who worked in the Police force with George Taylforth (2nd Row) back in the 60’s. Memories........
  • Well drawn chalk board sketch on 67' GF day, (by rail staff) @ Sydney's Beverly Hills station, of a red and green rabbit eating (fearful looking) blue and white berries.
  • Meeting some of the Berries team outside the SCG and walking into the ground with my father, perched on the shoulders of George Taylforth, with other 1st grade team members (I think they caught the public bus!!).
  • A small souvenir Berries football, signed by George T and others, which I used for years in imaginary matches at home. Now long destroyed.
  • Met Col Brown and asked him what position he played. “Hooker” he said. Being a very young boy I asked him the only question I could think of.
  • Lol ……“Did my Dad arrest you yet?”. The only “hookers” I had ever heard of, were the ones my father had been arresting at Kings Cross.
  • Spent the afternoon on “The Hill” dashing around stacking beer cans (Tooths KB?) to form a Gold wall, as they were drunk by various lower grade Berries players, we sat with. Always hated the taste of Tooths after that!!!
  • Was most impressed by George T’s long and straight goal kicking.
  • Not impressed by Col Brown’s pass, which gave Bob McCarthy his intercept try.
  • Despite the 1967 loss, a match on a wet afternoon, later in 1968 @ North Sydney oval, sealed the deal for me and the Berries.
  • Johnny Greaves acceleration with several long diagonal runs, setting up 3 tries for himself (1) and John Rhodes (2) to score and win the match (16-2) v Norths.
  • On the hill @ Belmore in the 70's and 80's watching, long haired Terry Reynolds, Garry Dowling, Henry Tatana, Stan Cutler, Hughes and Mortimer brothers. Great times

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome to the Kennel.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Welcome brother

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi to All. By way of intro. Long time reader of The Kennel and also supporter since my first Berries match in the 1967 GF. As a very small boy went to the ’67 GF, with my Dad who worked in the Police force with George Taylforth (2nd Row) back in the 60’s. Memories........
  • Well drawn chalk board sketch on 67' GF day, (by rail staff) @ Sydney's Beverly Hills station, of a red and green rabbit eating (fearful looking) blue and white berries.
  • Meeting some of the Berries team outside the SCG and walking into the ground with my father, perched on the shoulders of George Taylforth, with other 1st grade team members (I think they caught the public bus!!).
  • A small souvenir Berries football, signed by George T and others, which I used for years in imaginary matches at home. Now long destroyed.
  • Met Col Brown and asked him what position he played. “Hooker” he said. Being a very young boy I asked him the only question I could think of.
  • Lol ……“Did my Dad arrest you yet?”. The only “hookers” I had ever heard of, were the ones my father had been arresting at Kings Cross.
  • Spent the afternoon on “The Hill” dashing around stacking beer cans (Tooths KB?) to form a Gold wall, as they were drunk by various lower grade Berries players, we sat with. Always hated the taste of Tooths after that!!!
  • Was most impressed by George T’s long and straight goal kicking.
  • Not impressed by Col Brown’s pass, which gave Bob McCarthy his intercept try.
  • Despite the 1967 loss, a match on a wet afternoon, later in 1968 @ North Sydney oval, sealed the deal for me and the Berries.
  • Johnny Greaves acceleration with several long diagonal runs, setting up 3 tries for himself (1) and John Rhodes (2) to score and win the match (16-2) v Norths.
  • On the hill @ Belmore in the 70's and 80's watching, long haired Terry Reynolds, Garry Dowling, Henry Tatana, Stan Cutler, Hughes and Mortimer brothers. Great times
Henry Tatana..wow that’s a memory zap, had his footy card as a kid. Welcome mate and learn to duck.. :tearsofjoy: