Waterboy
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hey mate, welcome to the mad house.

Always great to see a new member, hope you enjoy what the kennel has to offer :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Stuart..nice to have a new member!!

And Thank you.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well written Stuart thanks a lot.
I was lucky better still privileged to see Les Johns play - anyone who did can indeed testify to his electrifying acceleration and speed; he was also a player of great charisma who was ever in control of a game and able to read the game.

His passing was superb, his defence amazing - he was head and shoulders above his peers and a stand out player throughout generations.

Also his kicking game was sublime - the man seemed to be able to kick the ball with absolute precision and put opponents in awkward situations with defence baring down on them. Freakish actually.

Thanks Stuart good read and great memories.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Welcome mate great article!!!
Can you write about the 3 duds that ruined a great club.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stuart. I had the privilege of watching Les Johns play. He was intelligent on the field - able to predict what the opposition might do next, and how the refs interpreted the rules.

I once saw him catch a downfield kick, and surrounded by players staying just outside the five yard perimeter because they were in front of the kick; all they needed was him to take one step, then they could hammer him - instead, he extended the ball out so it was closer to one of the defenders and won a penalty for them being inside the distance (he knew it is where the ball is, not the player, that determines offside). He also introduced the tactic of leaping from outside the field of play to catch a downfield kick, rendering it out on the full. This tactic allowed us to beat St.George and make the finals one year. But it was his last ditch defence that saved us on many occasions. Les had the ability to chase, and cut down, flying wingers with diving tackles that usually put them into touch from the impact of his hit. He was magic to watch.

Off field he was one of the nice guys; always had time for young fans, didn't get into trouble, and didn't touch alcohol - he drank milk. A great guy to talk to, and someone who actually could be called an ornament to the game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Stuart,

I believe we have a few journos that circle this place (some nice, some not so nice). We also generally don't like people promoting their own sites/blogs on here.

However you are family (part of the great big Bulldogs family), AND you also report on NSW Cup (something very few places/journos do).

As such I'm okay with having such links here.

As a side note, we generally recommend that people don't use their full real names on here (as all content gets cached to Google). If you want to change that, simply go here: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?account/UserNameChange same applies to you @Chris Harding . When you change your Username you can then go here: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?account/personal-details and change your Custom Title as well.

Above everything though, thanks for the welcome and the great first post.

Know that this place can get a bit chaotic at times, specially after a loss. After a win though it's much more positive :D

Enjoy the site and look forwards to seeing you around the place :grinning:

Cheers,

Mr Invisible
Kennel Moderator

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Les Johns was one of the all time great Berries player. I know Ken Thornett didnt like competing with Johns.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1C789374-B93E-4DD4-A9D3-A76E568D6779.png I love the advert on your first page you will win over several members including Indiandog in particular
Keep up the good work.

Stuart Thomas

Waterboy
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Stuart,

I believe we have a few journos that circle this place (some nice, some not so nice). We also generally don't like people promoting their own sites/blogs on here.

However you are family (part of the great big Bulldogs family), AND you also report on NSW Cup (something very few places/journos do).

As such I'm okay with having such links here.

As a side note, we generally recommend that people don't use their full real names on here (as all content gets cached to Google). If you want to change that, simply go here: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?account/UserNameChange same applies to you @Chris Harding . When you change your Username you can then go here: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?account/personal-details and change your Custom Title as well.

Above everything though, thanks for the welcome and the great first post.

Know that this place can get a bit chaotic at times, specially after a loss. After a win though it's much more positive :D

Enjoy the site and look forwards to seeing you around the place :grinning:

Cheers,

Mr Invisible
Kennel Moderator
Thanks Mr Invisible,

I'll make sure I don't post excessive content and will interact with the site well beyond the odd match report or doggies feature. I do a weekly report on the game and have been working on the legends series. #1 Lamb #2 S.Mortimer #3 H. el Masri #4 Les Johns. Fifth addition might be next week some time. I have a few old pieces I wrote in the final days of the Hasler era and a letter to Ray Dib to which I am still awaiting a response. Would you like to read it? If you like you could share rather than me looking like an egotistical maniac.

It is a bit of a 'I told you so', in retrospect and part of a sequence of pieces I wrote because I could see the disaster that was about to unfold. I'll always go out of my way to respect this place and the members of it. Looks like a great place and so happy to be involved.

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Stuart

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ah!! Les Johns my favourite Bulldog player.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Les Johns was my hero when I was growing up. An inspirational player!

Status
Not open for further replies.