News Bulldog Lafai keen on Barrett NRL rebuild

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury pick-up Tim Lafai hopes to turn his mid-season reunion with the NRL club into a permanent stay under incoming coach Trent Barrett.

Less than two weeks after signing from St George Illawarra, Lafai will line up for the Bulldogs in Sunday’s clash with Parramatta.

It will be his first match for the club since the last of his 74 appearances in the blue-and-white over five years ending in 2015, before joining the Dragons.

Lafai played the opening two games of this season before its COVID-19 shutdown, but fell out of favour and hadn’t been sighted since.

“With no (NSW) Cup games going on, it was about finding a place for myself to get some game time for the rest of the year,” Lafai said on Wednesday.

“At the Dragons, in the centres and outside backs they got there have been playing good. So when the opportunity came here, I was fortunate to have it.”

Only signed for the rest of the year, Lafai is one of a number of off-contract Bulldogs determined to impress Barrett.

Forward Adam Elliott has reportedly drawn interest from the Warriors, while injury-plagued playmaker Kieran Foran’s contract also expires at season’s end.

Young outside backs Jake Averillo and Reimis Smith are signed until the end of next year, while Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is locked in until the end of 2022.

NSW State of Origin star Nick Cotric will also arrive next season.

“It’s definitely at the back of my mind, just like the rest of the players here. We want to finish off the year strong and with some wins,” Lafai said.

“It’s about doing my job and going out there and give 100 per cent of my effort week in, week out and cementing my spot in the centres there.”

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson hopes to retain the injured Elliott.

“(I’ve) been playing with him for a while now and I’ve seen how hard he’s worked to get himself into a position where he’s playing some fantastic footy,” he said.

“He was probably our best performer at the start of the year and I was shattered for him when he obviously when down with his shoulder injury.

“He’s got a young family to think about now and he’ll make that decision in time, what he thinks is best for him and his family going forward.

“It’d be great if he could stay a part of what we’ve got here.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lafai would have to wind the clock back to 2014 to get re-signed. It's more likely that he's just a fill in for the rest of this season and nothing more.

After DWZ's massive drop in form once he got extended, you'd think the club would be more cautious this time around with Lafai.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Now that gives me goosebumps, touches the heart, finally hearing a little from Lafai, and under Barrett he could do very well, wanting to be a permanent player and back at home in the blue and white is great for him, he is where he belongs and I HOPE he plays well, winds back the clock and TBAZ keeps him. Would love for him to be part of the rebuild :hearteyes:

It’s a feel good story. With all the other positives, it’ just seems to work!! You can all give me shit now an laugh,but one of our boys are back, and at least we know he has passion for the bulldogs, give him a chance to prove himself before bagging him.!!!

he will get my full support until he proves he’s not worthy of it.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now that gives me goosebumps, touches the heart, finally hearing a little from Lafai, and under Barrett he could do very well, wanting to be a permanent player and back at home in the blue and white is great for him, he is where he belongs and I HOPE he plays well, winds back the clock and TBAZ keeps him. Would love for him to be part of the rebuild :hearteyes:

It’s a feel good story. With all the other positives, it’ just seems to work!! You can all give me shit now an laugh,but one of our boys are back, and at least we know he has passion for the bulldogs, give him a chance to prove himself before bagging him.!!!

he will get my full support until he proves he’s not worthy of it.
I'm a massive Lafai fan, but no where does he comment on what it means to be back to the club or any feelings he has towards it - Only that this was his only chance to play first grade.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lafai has no place at the club beyond this season. And if he does it should be seen that we are still a struggling team.

guy was never a superstar but wasn’t too bad. Slots right in to our backline for the rest of the year. But fingers crossed we have something better for next season. He is no more then a fill in these days.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm a massive Lafai fan, but no where does he comment on what it means to be back to the club or any feelings he has towards it - Only that this was his only chance to play first grade.
Lol, no he does not, I never said he said that, it’s unspoken words. And I guarantee he always loved this club and how he feels.. well that will show an come out once we see his performance etc. again until he proves me wrong I believe what I believe and actions will speak if that’s how it is.!!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best hope for him is a one year deal for 2021 as a stop gap/back up, but he'd need to play very well for the remainder of the year.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don’t sign anyone else this year I think he is a good chance of getting an extension he is an upgrade on reimis and holland there bog average depends on whether or not Barrett will play hoppa at fullback or put him in the centre’s might not get a spot then with Cotric coming

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: glad the chimpster and morondog didn’t comment......... negative Nancy pansie pompos pooms

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I take it all back! Just watched the below and I love him again!

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/07/29/lafai-its-good-to-be-back/
Love it mate.!! That’s just awesome...and I said that without hearing him say it. It was just obvious.. he’s a true bulldog, always was an always will be :grinning:

welcome home, and best of luck to ya Laf, have a massive year and make us all proud.!!

first time in many years have I been this happy and this excited about the direction our club is headed and a fairy tale thrown in at the perfect time.. couldn’t of happened at a more appropriate time, was meant to be, just so many positives right now, it’s amazing.

Last edited:

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s a ball playing centre and can create opportunity for a speedy winger outside him.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to get that slick side parting back in his hair like the good old days

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Actually keen to see how he goes. Never underestimate what a change of scenery can do for some players.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The best thing about the return of Tim Lafai is Mrs Lafai.
She was very easy on the eye from memory .
Much seed will be spilt in here from the perennial wankers of the forum, who have mastered the art of holding a keyboard in one hand and their dick with the other.

Last edited:

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another "rebuild" huh? Knew the previous one was a myth. Fuck this board.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just remembered the Lafai Perrett combo.....where Perrett used to come flying in and getting caught up in no man's land. Hopefully he works well with DWZ..

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change of clubs has many times given quality players a new lease on life