News Bulldog could spend season on sidelines in fresh headache for Barrett

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett at Belmore. Pic: Bulldogs Digital
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett at Belmore. Pic: Bulldogs DigitalSource: Supplied

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs could be set for a reshuffle in the outside backs following a report that they could be without Christian Crichton for the entire 2021 season.

The Daily Telegraphreports that the winger went down at training on Thursday and there are concerns he could have ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.
It would be a crushing blow for Crichton, who is off-contract at the end of the 2021 season and could also have serious repercussions on the Bulldogs’ season.

Trent Barrett’s men are already without Reimis Smith (Melbourne) and Marcelo Montoya (Warriors) while new recruit Josh Addo-Carr will not be heading to Belmore until 2022.

Jayden Okunbor also ruptured his ACL in the Bulldogs’ final game of the year and it is unclear when he will be fit to return.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Nick Meaney are two options to play on the wing, although both have also played at fullback before too but Will Hopoate will likely take the No. 1 jersey in 2021.

Watene-Zelezniak could line up in the centres too.

Nick Cotric also arrives at Belmore but was brought over to play in the centres and is unlikely to shift to the wing.

Malakai Watene-Zelezniak was also spotted at Bulldogs training earlier in the week and could fill in if needed.

In terms of other depth options, youngsters Tuipulotu Katoa and Tyrone Harding could also come into the frame.

Harding came to the Bulldogs in 2017 from Wests Magpies and played in the SG Ball team for two years before making a shift to the under 20s side.

Meanwhile, Katoa is the brother of Sharks winger Sione and played in both the Canterbury Cup and Jersey Flegg teams.

Crichton has made 13 appearances in the top grade for the Bulldogs since moving from Penrith at the end of the 2019 season.

Attachments

Last edited:

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett said he had a pretty firm idea on who would play fullback. Anyone know who has been training at the back?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopoate's 3rd in the pecking order for me. If he had pace he'd probably be 1st. The media never mentions Averillo as a fullback option.
Me too. If he had pace he'd be one of the best fullbacks in the game. His lack of his pace prevents him from ever being a gun FB. As a 7 or 9 you can get away with not having speed but as a FB you just have to have speed

Even if Avo plays at 6, I'd rather see Meaney at FB than Hoppa

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
With all due respect to Crichton this isn't the massive loss the media are making it out to be. I do feel sorry for him and wish him all the best.
If everyone was fully fit I doubt he would see a game this year.

Still months until the season starts and we still have 3 spots, we could sign anyone or JAC could happen in 2021.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We could pick up Mansour if Penrith want to pay a fair portion of his contract, but it would be on the condition Burton is released for 2021.

Mansour won’t get a lot of 1st grade next year at Penrith so if he wants to play in the NRL beyond 2021 he will need to have an outstanding year.

Considering our losses, Mansour is a good option, however we need to get Crichton off top 30 list to free up space should JAC be released.

With three spots remaining in the top 30 we have options, we just need to be smart how we use them.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: what fears ..... I fee for him but not going to kiss him. Young pups have to step up and show the world what they can do.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Zelezniak and Meaney were already ahead of him. Problem is if either of them or anyone else goes down.

Katoa could come in. But until okunbor is back we have slim Pickings in the backline. Shame storm didn’t give us Addo-Carr after we released arguably our best winger (even though he was actively wanting to leave).

Anyways fingers crossed. And as others have suggested I’d be tempted in taking Mansour if it relieves Panthers cap pressure and they give us burton. We scratch your back, you scratch our balls type of scenario.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Zelezniak and Meaney were already ahead of him. Problem is if either of them or anyone else goes down.

Katoa could come in. But until okunbor is back we have slim Pickings in the backline. Shame storm didn’t give us Addo-Carr after we released arguably our best winger (even though he was actively wanting to leave).

Anyways fingers crossed. And as others have suggested I’d be tempted in taking Mansour if it relieves Panthers cap pressure and they give us burton. We scratch your back, you scratch our balls type of scenario.
I think if Panthers pay a portion of Mansours contract he becomes a viable option.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also feel sorry for the player but this isn't a loss or headache as headlined....Mansour's a yes on a 1 year plus option deal in our favour AND Burton comes over early too...or Cleary can go e.a.d

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We could pick up Mansour if Penrith want to pay a fair portion of his contract, but it would be on the condition Burton is released for 2021.

Mansour won’t get a lot of 1st grade next year at Penrith so if he wants to play in the NRL beyond 2021 he will need to have an outstanding year.

Considering our losses, Mansour is a good option, however we need to get Crichton off top 30 list to free up space should JAC be released.

With three spots remaining in the top 30 we have options, we just need to be smart how we use them.
I like that idea but don’t want him for 3yrs for the sort of cash he would want. 2yrs where he only costs us ~200k per year could be interesting.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. MWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. DWZ

Not the best but it’s still better then Montoya and Holland.
100% agree. I think if we sign another outside back like a Brendan Elliot he may be a chance of starting but don't mind your suggestion of MWZ. He appears to be far ahead of Tui Katoa and Tyrone Harding whose names are also being thrown around.

I don't mind the idea of Meaney coming in on the wing but if I was him I would focus on developing my game at fullback. I think it will just do him more favours at the end of the year as many teams don't have a solid backup fullback, could also go alright in Super League.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
they wont make a decision until season starts proper to fill their 30 man squad and after the trial games.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
MWZ is listed as a dog on SC...so he has signed?