Building PC - Advice Needed pleeeeeeese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing you have to note when buying hardware from these places is they don't look after warranty. Once you buy it, and it fails you have to deal directly with the vendor. That's the trade off for cheap prices.

I think that's why Mwave are slightly more expensive, they offer more of a service. Not just selling parts.

In other news, the GTX 1070/10180 won't work on Win10 unless you are on the latest build. There is a Nvidia hotfix that doesnt get installed until your OS is up to the current version. And if you know windows 10, it takes ages for it to pick up new build updates.
When it comes to buying computer parts you're covered under 2-3 things:

1) Consumer guarantee

2) Manufacturer's warranty

3) Additional provided warranty

If the company offers you an additional warranty {3} (like extended warranty with a TV) it's usually a scam and not something you need to buy. All the additional warranty means is that if something fails then you return it to the place of purchase during the additional warranty period and they'll replace, repair or refund.

The manufacturer's warranty {2} is at least 1 year (sometimes 2 years) and that means if something fails you send it to the manufacturer and they replace or repair

The consumer guarantee {1} is the one they never tell you about and the one that most people are unaware of. It has been in place for all item sales and new car sales since 2011 and since 2014 it now covers used car sales no matter how old the car.

The consumer guarantee states that a product sold must be:
  • safe, lasting, with no faults
  • look acceptable
  • do all the things someone would normally expect them to do
What that means is that if you spend $700 on a graphics card standard expectations state that it would live a fairly long life without tampering. Technically under consumer guarantee if the $700 graphics card fails after 2 years you can return it to place of purchase and demand they rectify the issue. They will often say "it's out of warranty" or "go to the manufacturer" but if they do that you can report then to the ACCC or department of fair trading and they are liable to be fined heavily for breaching consumer guarantee.

The only exception to this is if they specifically state the faults. For example, if you buy a car from a dealer and they say "It's sold as is with an engine fault" then you can't expect them to repair the engine fault. But if you pay $4000 for a car and the engine dies 5 months later then it's the dealer that has to repair or refund.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The consumer guarantee states that a product sold must be:
  • safe, lasting, with no faults
  • look acceptable
  • do all the things someone would normally expect them to do
What that means is that if you spend $700 on a graphics card standard expectations state that it would live a fairly long life without tampering. Technically under consumer guarantee if the $700 graphics card fails after 2 years you can return it to place of purchase and demand they rectify the issue. They will often say "it's out of warranty" or "go to the manufacturer" but if they do that you can report then to the ACCC or department of fair trading and they are liable to be fined heavily for breaching consumer guarantee.

The only exception to this is if they specifically state the faults. For example, if you buy a car from a dealer and they say "It's sold as is with an engine fault" then you can't expect them to repair the engine fault. But if you pay $4000 for a car and the engine dies 5 months later then it's the dealer that has to repair or refund.

Sick. I didn't know about this. Cheers!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1060 and 970 are the best bang for buck at the moment.

I think those stats are a bit skewed. The 1060 tends to perform slightly better than the r9 390x in most tests but is slightly cheaper in Australia which puts it at a good price point but the 1070 outperforms both cards massively. The R9 390x outperforms the 970 in all tests I've seen but is around the same price as the 1060.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/17.html

Basically you have:

GTX 970 48.9 fps $430
R9 390x 50.9 fps $460
GTX 1060 55.2 fps $430
GTX 1070 75.5 fps $700

Of course it depends on the game you're playing and other factors. But if you look at performance overall you get something more like this:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

Where the r9 390x beats out the 1060 while running at 4k and the 970 struggles far behind both. Drop the frames back to 1440p and the 970 still struggles but the 1060 jumps ahead of both. Drop the res to 1080p and the 1060 is still the winner with R9 390x coming in second and 970 running well behind again.

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the setup i supply to most of our customers (for industrial use) :

1 Intel 540s Series 240GB SSD $129.00
2 Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX $69.00
1 XFX TS Gold Series 650W Power Supply $119.00
1 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM DVD $209.00
1 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2133C15D-16GRR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 $105.00
1 Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Motherboard $189.00
1 Samsung SH-224DB 24x DVDRW OEM $19.00
1 Intel Core i7 6700 $439.00
1 TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter $89.00
1 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 WindForce OC 2GB $235.00
1 Trend Micro Internet Security 2016 3 Users 1 Year OEM $15.00
1 Logitech MK270r Wireless Combo

Intel socket 1151 only
New intels run pretty cool at 14nm. K series is only good for overclocking
if required use a water cooled CPU cooler. Corsair ones are decent
Get a GPU with 2-3GB ddr5 and Nvidia chipset only
Make sure your Memory is ddr4 and at least 2133mhz
Kinstone and G.Skill memory is best, the other dont compare imo.
Gigabyte is best. Keep Mobo and GPU the same brand.
Use correct SATA6GB cables and ports. Refer MOBO users manual.
Uses correct memory slots on MOBO. Refer MOBO users manual.
CPU paste should be arctic silver5. use pea size blob. clean cpu with
Only install software on SSD,format all drives @ windows install setup
Upon first startup enter BIOS and monitor CPU temp for 15min
Always connect a MOBO speaker to listen for fault beeps

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think those stats are a bit skewed. The 1060 tends to perform slightly better than the r9 390x in most tests but is slightly cheaper in Australia which puts it at a good price point but the 1070 outperforms both cards massively. The R9 390x outperforms the 970 in all tests I've seen but is around the same price as the 1060.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/17.html

Basically you have:

GTX 970 48.9 fps $430
R9 390x 50.9 fps $460
GTX 1060 55.2 fps $430
GTX 1070 75.5 fps $700

Of course it depends on the game you're playing and other factors. But if you look at performance overall you get something more like this:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

Where the r9 390x beats out the 1060 while running at 4k and the 970 struggles far behind both. Drop the frames back to 1440p and the 970 still struggles but the 1060 jumps ahead of both. Drop the res to 1080p and the 1060 is still the winner with R9 390x coming in second and 970 running well behind again.
Those stats are pretty spot on, Nvidia generally performs better then AMD, also allot of games support nvidia gameworks.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Those stats are pretty spot on, Nvidia generally performs better then AMD, also allot of games support nvidia gameworks.
With the 970 performing over 20% better than the r9 390 even though every other source on the web says that the r9 390 generally slightly out performs the 970?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The major downsides of AMD's right now is that the 1070 and 1080 cards outperform anything available from AMD and AMD cards tend to use more power and are often louder. the 390 is a jetfan.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This is the setup i supply to most of our customers (for industrial use) :
I don't bother self building for business these days.

HP Elitebook/Elitedesk w 3 Year 4Hr CTR 24/7/365 Onsite Warranty = problem solved.

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't bother self building for business these days.

HP Elitebook/Elitedesk w 3 Year 4Hr CTR 24/7/365 Onsite Warranty = problem solved.
Your 100% right i don't like building them anymore, there's not much money in it but i'm a authorized reseller for a software company
and they require us to build dedicated PC's and configure the software etc.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Intel socket 1151 only
New intels run pretty cool at 14nm. K series is only good for overclocking
if required use a water cooled CPU cooler. Corsair ones are decent
Get a GPU with 2-3GB ddr5 and Nvidia chipset only
Make sure your Memory is ddr4 and at least 2133mhz
Kinstone and G.Skill memory is best, the other dont compare imo.
Gigabyte is best. Keep Mobo and GPU the same brand.
Use correct SATA6GB cables and ports. Refer MOBO users manual.
Uses correct memory slots on MOBO. Refer MOBO users manual.
CPU paste should be arctic silver5. use pea size blob. clean cpu with
Only install software on SSD,format all drives @ windows install setup
Upon first startup enter BIOS and monitor CPU temp for 15min
Always connect a MOBO speaker to listen for fault beeps
That's really good advice!

I didn't check the sata ports, but im pretty sure i used the right set of ports, as the were set upright and kind of accentuated in a way as if to say "use me!". the other ports were just flat on the board

I never use AMD anymore. Nvidia has been far more reliable for years.
And i am a fan of gigabyte, but my last board was ASUS and i cant fault it. ASUS bios for the pro gaming board is impressive also

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
the new intels are super cool compared to the old ones. I could cook eggs and sausages on my i7 920

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's really good advice!

I didn't check the sata ports, but im pretty sure i used the right set of ports, as the were set upright and kind of accentuated in a way as if to say "use me!". the other ports were just flat on the board

I never use AMD anymore. Nvidia has been far more reliable for years.
And i am a fan of gigabyte, but my last board was ASUS and i cant fault it. ASUS bios for the pro gaming board is impressive also

Cool...I found on the Gigabyte boards you should install the SSD in SATA6GB port0 and then the others in sequence 1,2 etc.
Also a lot of newer boards have some sort of fast boot or power saving crap built in and sometime the PC will not completely shut down,
turn off fast start in windows but you might have to do it at bios level also. You can see if this is an issue when the LED's dont turn off either on
your mouse, GPU, motherboard etc. Or the fans don't turn off.

Although i have an ASUS in my personal PC i wouldn't buy another after seeing how well the Gigabytes work in the field. Nothing against ASUS though they are very good boards.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
the new intels are super cool compared to the old ones. I could cook eggs and sausages on my i7 920
I remember my old Athlon. I have a jet CPU cooler hooked up to it. I had to keep the side of the case off or it would overheat in no time. If I put my leg near the case I'd burn my leg on the heat coming from the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.