Building fire in Surry Hills

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
quite possibly deliberately lit apparently

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A befuddled bin chicken was hurried away wrapped in a blanket by emergency workers, and multiple journalists had to be treated for hysteria, during what can only be described as Sydney's 9/11.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
May not be dodgy but it sure looks it.

- DA for hotel put on hold for some reason
- people seen running from it prior to the fire.

On 7s report the person they spoke was making me laugh, so expressive and full of detail.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
if they don’t pay on time. I knew an old landlord that taught me my craft, he died a good 20 years ago but he would have smoked the renters out if they didn’t pay, my word he would
It's tough love.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
As a building manager I would not want to be involved in this one. I wonder who the independent fire practitioner was who signed off on the Annual Fire Safety Statement? Building are designed not to go up like this. I saw it all as well was like nothing I’ve witnessed.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The place wasn't too far from my office. The building itself was heritage listed so couldn't be touched. I'm guessing that, as it was abandoned, there was obviously no running electricity going into the building, the fire must've come from another fire WITHIN the building. Now, as squatters frequent abandoned buildings like that for shelter, they only need one thing - heat. I'm guessing that they brought a barrel into to the building and lit it up. Probably the bottom of the barrel started getting a little hot, even perhaps burnt through, and the floorboards in that building (that's what they were built like back then) went up, and that's all it took.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The place wasn't too far from my office. The building itself was heritage listed so couldn't be touched. I'm guessing that, as it was abandoned, there was obviously no running electricity going into the building, the fire must've come from another fire WITHIN the building. Now, as squatters frequent abandoned buildings like that for shelter, they only need one thing - heat. I'm guessing that they brought a barrel into to the building and lit it up. Probably the bottom of the barrel started getting a little hot, even perhaps burnt through, and the floorboards in that building (that's what they were built like back then) went up, and that's all it took.
Or the guy that put in the DA burnt it down...