News Brown, Gould officially link with Warriors

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The Warriors' search for a coach is over, with Nathan Brown formally announced to take the helm until the end of 2023.

Brown's signing was one of two made by the Warriors on Saturday - the club also announced Phil Gould's appointment as a club-wide consultant.

Speaking on Saturday, Brown said he is looking forward to the challenge.

"[I am] Very grateful for the opportunity. The Warriors have gone through a lean period of late but hopefully myself, Sully [Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan], the owners and Cameron George we can put the club into the winning lists for a long time," he said.

"One thing I’ve maintained was that the Warriors was a great opportunity for any coach.

"Getting the roster right is one area we need to improve. The Warriors have shown this year under very difficult circumstances they’ve got the players to take this club forward."

Brown, who has been working with the club as a consultant, will return to the coaching ranks after having departed the Knights during the 2019 season.

The main job at the Warriors will be Brown's fifth since he entered the coaching game in 2003 with St George Illawarra.

He coached the Dragons until 2008 before heading to England.

There, he spent time at Huddersfield (2009-2012) and St Helens (2013-2014) before returning to Australia.

In 2016 he started the tough job of rebuilding the Newcastle Knights. During his 94 matches in the Hunter he had a 26% winning rate, but did oversee a total rebuild of the playing roster.

Warriors CEO Cameron George said the addition of Gould to the club brains trust is a big move.

"This appointment is exceptionally significant and critical to the future of our business as a whole and equally to the game in general both in New Zealand and in Australia," he said.

"Phil is held in the highest regard as a rugby league expert both on and off the park.

"He has an extensive and successful coaching history and is highly sought after in the media through his roles with Channel 9 and other organisations.

"He also achieved so much in rebuilding the Penrith Panthers to where they are right now. He’ll play a huge role in helping to take us to a new level as a club."

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This makes me very happy that I'm not a Warriors fan. Gould in my opinion is nothing but a great self promoter. His time at Penrith was a simple job of relying on a good juniors pathways manager recruited directly from our club after his value became widely recognised, and he apparently got an extension on a loan. He's hardly some business guru or the brains behind bringing up good juniors at Penrith.

And while Brown did a decent job rebuilding the Knights roster he never got results with them. The Warriors have always been a lazy team. I can't see that changing with Brown as their coach. It doesn't matter how much talent they bring through (and they've got a massive nursery area) it's useless if their work ethic is abysmal.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I can’t fathom why they picked Nathan brown. How many wooden spoons does he have.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Warriors going even further backwards with this.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know Brown won a SL title but that in the GF Wigan front rower Ben Flower punched Lance Hohia unconcious whilst he was on the ground and got sent off in like the first 10 mins ... So Saints played 12 men all game and just won. Shaun Wane was the right choice imo could have been there modern Daniel Anderson

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know how Brown got another bead coaching job with his record. Griffin would have been perfect for them. Or Wane... I always want to see the Warriors do well but I don't think they did themselves any favours hiring Brown..

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The wrong choice choosing in Nathan Brown; always and will be an egg.

They should have gotten Eddie Jones or someone like him, with NZ being a union country. Eddie's credentials and Union connections I think would have been quite beneficial to the Warriors and the NRL's plan for New Zealand to strengthen in the pacific islands.

Eddie Jones + Walker Brothers as assistant coaches would have been an interesting choice for the Warriors and in my opinion a great choice. They really needed someone to strong to lead the charge and that person is not Nathan Brown.

Shaun Wane, Anthony Griffen & Paul Green would have also been great choices.

Nathan Brown is more than likely the "filler" coach with Phil Gould around Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy is off contract and The Warriors can make a proper offer.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Evans has now signed with the Warriors. Wether you agree with him and Aitken being good signings, they certainly have been ori active and aren't wasting any time