Bronc's offering Fifita 750K. How much should we offer ?

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The thing is CLEARLY our board are NOT strengthening any other position. No real spine players available for 2021, no decent centres either if we don't chase Mitchell. Zac Loxax is an option but he would come fairly cheap. In attack for 2021 we're gonna have good quality NRL standard forwards, halves, and backs minus Foran.

Where do you expect our points to come from ?

Where on the field will we have an advantage over any other team ?

If we were seriously pursuing the Turbo brothers (which I believe we were) we would have been forking out up to 2.5M a season. For the same amount I would have thought we could sign both Mitchell and Fifita but if we're not chasing Mitchell now then Fifita has to be a f..king No 1 priority as far as I'm concerned or the board can frankly f..k off at the next election.

I'd even consider a Wolfpack type offer of up to 1.4M a season (same as we would have paid Tom Turbo with a suspect hamstring) since we're NOW f..king DESPERATE. That would be enough for him to move his whole family here, not work and be his personal chauffeur to and from training or hire him another chauffeur outside the cap FFS.

I just can't understand the people on here not wanting us to spend big money on ANY player it seems. Is it your money ? Do you want us to be a top 4 team within the next 5 years or not ? We can still sign plenty of cheapies (as you love) and the best juniors cheap - ONE expensive player (after Foran leaves) is not going to stop us signing them

PLEASE REMEMBER both Peter Mullholland (one of the best recruitment managers of all time) and Andrew Voss who have watched a thousand times more junior matches than any of us BOTH said Fifita was "the best young player they'd EVER SEEN" - that's backs AND forwards. If this player isn't worth chasing seriously I don't know if ANYONE is.

Broncos offer to David Fifita even bigger than Payne Haas contract
He’s just out of a Bali jail cell — now this multi-million dollar deal could make David Fifita the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos history.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSNOVEMBER 14, 20198:45AM

David Fifita is the hottest player on the open market.Source:AAP

Move over Payne Haas, your short-lived reign as the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos’ history looks like it’s about to end.

The Courier Mail reported on Wednesday night the Broncos are poised to offer Fifita a $3 million deal across four years at $750,000 per season to eclipse Haas’ $3.4 million contract over six years in order to secure the hottest property on the player market from 2021 onwards.

Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >

That would make the 19-year-old Fifita the best paid teenager in the Broncos’ 31-year history.

If successful it would also fend off rival offers that have been tipped to approach $1 million per season, with clubs such as the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Warriors and Titans showing interest.

The mammoth offer from Brisbane comes after the most tumultuous period of Fifita’s life, in which he was locked up for three days in a Bali cell for allegedly assaulting a nightclub security guard before he paid at least $30,000 in a “peace agreement” to secure his freedom.

The Broncos sent welfare manager Adam Walsh to Bali and organised a lawyer to broker the compensation package for Fifita, with CEO Paul White embracing Fifita at Brisbane Airport upon his arrival home.

NRL: Brisbane winger Corey Oates believes their could be more to the David Fifita story. Oates doesn't see Fifita as the kind of player to cause trouble.

And the way the Broncos helped Fifita get home to Brisbane has the club in the box seat to secure his signature despite the seven-figure offers he’s attracting on the open market.

Broncos winger Corey Oates said he hoped Fifita remained loyal to Brisbane.

“I hope Dave doesn’t go to Sydney,” he said.

“I don’t know what it is about the Broncos but it’s a great club for players. It’s hard to move away from a club like the Broncos with their professionalism and what they do for their players.

“Everyone is going to throw massive coin at an up and coming star like Dave, he has shown a lot of talent, but hopefully he sees what I see at the Broncos and stays here for a long time.

“He would be appreciative of what the Broncos have done for him the last few days. Putting Bali aside, you get looked after in every department by the Broncos.

“I honestly feel this group is getting on well together too. We are similar ages and if guys like Dave stay, it will help us win a comp.”

Brisbane Broncos player David Fifita is seen during training in Brisbane. (AAP Image/Dan Peled)Source:AAP

Fifita has only played 35 games for the Broncos, but he turned out for the Maroons in all three State of Origin matches last season and was on the verge of representing Australia before he fractured his eye socket while captaining the Junior Kangaroos.

Fifita’s Maroons teammate, Felise Kaufusi, said he hoped the blockbusting forward remained in Brisbane.

“I think Dave should stay at the Broncos,” Kaufusi said.

“I’m not too sure what clubs are chasing him but the key for Dave is where he feels comfortable and happy playing his football, and if that’s at the Broncos, he should stick around.

“If he feels he needs to get out of his comfort zone, then he might look around, but he will only get better as a player at the Broncos.

“He is going to be a superstar of the game. I had time with him in Origin camp this year and I was really impressed with his attitude and his willingness to learn.”

Originally published asBali jailbird becomes NRL’s richest teen
I would offer him 850 tops.
Turbo brothers were never going to leave manly.they just tested the market to see what other clubs were willing to pay so they had some bargaining power.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
we had him down at the club for an look around, Pay told the board he didn't want him after he failed the tractor driving and sheep shearing test

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we had him down at the club for an look around, Pay told the board he didn't want him after he failed the tractor driving and sheep shearing test
Yet you failed the dickhead test...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Forgot about Morgan to be honest. As for Holmes he wasn't there this year so doesn't factor into it. They only had Morgan as a star player on good money in their spine and it showed!!
They also had Morgan and taumalolo out a lot and blokes like barba and McDonald fuck them this year. The money for Holmes was clearly there. You can dismiss it but that’s just not looking at it realistically and doesn’t support your comment if you are honest with it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have the nrl fined or suspended him yet? Solomona was done before he landed back in Melbourne

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing is the Halfback closest to "great" is Townsend. It just isn't worth (for us) offering Townsend marquee money to lure him (imo he isn't good enough). We have a few options for Fullback in Milford, Wighton, Papenhuyzen and Latrell. If we're passing on Latrell and Milford and Wighton are already on big deals Papenhuyzen has to be heavily considered. I wouldn't buy a Fullback personally but I wouldn't be against it if it was a big name. I've always said we should be signing a Centre, Hooker, Prop and Winger. That's what we need and where I think there are good options on the market to buy.
It will give the team and our fans some confidence if we make a marquee signing.. Could have a domino effect with more signings..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are either a troll or fucking stupid.
You're just fucking stupid. We need some f..ing spark in attack from f..ing somewhere. PLEASE explain where it will be coming from ???????????????????????

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Think you’re forgetting the club he’s currently at got beaten 58-0 in their last match
That same team has Milf oates Boyd staggs etc and a forward pack that no one will be able to match...

And we have Elliot...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That same team has Milf oates Boyd staggs etc and a forward pack that no one will be able to match...

And we have Elliot...
The majority of the Broncos team would walk into our side on paper.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're just fucking stupid. We need some f..ing spark in attack from f..ing somewhere. PLEASE explain where it will be coming from ???????????????????????
The question isn't where it's going to come from! The question is when will it come??? I would say it's going to be a while, get used to the mediocrity, it's here to stay until our Juniors start fulfilling their potential! But I guess by then the Roosters will pay them way overs and we'll have to start all over again....

When did the Berries win their first comp? 1935... 16 years to go until our 100 year anniversary first grade title! With the way the NRL loves sentimental values, it should be around that time.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im stupid for not wanting to offer a backrower 1.4m/season. Fuck me is it already school holidays.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys clearly dont get it do you. As we passed on Mitchell because its too big a risk to pay someone with either attitude problems or injury prone big coin to COME to your Club as an unknown quantity...we wont be tying up big coin on ANY player NEW TO THE CLUB. We will find talented juniors and steal them before they are worth $750K a year.This is what our board has decided and I see nothing wrong with this stance. We will be top 4 again in maybe 4 to 6 years. It takes that long to spot talented 15 year olds and train them up to NRL standard.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You guys clearly dont get it do you. As we passed on Mitchell because its too big a risk to pay someone with either attitude problems or injury prone big coin to COME to your Club as an unknown quantity...we wont be tying up big coin on ANY player NEW TO THE CLUB. We will find talented juniors and steal them before they are worth $750K a year.This is what our board has decided and I see nothing wrong with this stance. We will be top 4 again in maybe 4 to 6 years. It takes that long to spot talented 15 year olds and train them up to NRL standard.
So what are we going to do with the 2-3m in the cap after retaining players? One would think we'd be signing top or emerging NRL ready talent for at least three years. All players in both those categories require paying overs. Also 15 year olds don't go into our salary cap (also why are they going to chose us over other clubs?). Even if we continue picking up opportunist or reject players that no one else wants or can fit in we're not going to have the cap filled out like I said. I think it's much more beneficial buying four to five top or emerging talent for the 2021 season. We already have a good base to work with. Pay's interview on NRL 360 during the season (either this year or last year, not 100% sure) he talked up 2021 being our target year. He also said we'd sign marquee players and used Ponga as an e.g. (not Ponga as a player but players around the same ability and hype). I think if we get recruitment right for 2021 we can be top four in three to five years. Being a top eight team is a challenge in itself and until we can recruit and retain players without paying overs I don't see us being able to be a top four team. It's very possibly we can finish in the top four or better as an outlier tho. We need to be realistic with our expectations and according to the bookies we're going to run 15th next season.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So what are we going to do with the 2-3m in the cap after retaining players? One would think we'd be signing top or emerging NRL ready talent for at least three years. All players in both those categories require paying overs. Also 15 year olds don't go into our salary cap (also why are they going to chose us over other clubs?). Even if we continue picking up opportunist or reject players that no one else wants or can fit in we're not going to have the cap filled out like I said. I think it's much more beneficial buying four to five top or emerging talent for the 2021 season. We already have a good base to work with. Pay's interview on NRL 360 during the season (either this year or last year, not 100% sure) he talked up 2021 being our target year. He also said we'd sign marquee players and used Ponga as an e.g. (not Ponga as a player but players around the same ability and hype). I think if we get recruitment right for 2021 we can be top four in three to five years. Being a top eight team is a challenge in itself and until we can recruit and retain players without paying overs I don't see us being able to be a top four team. It's very possibly we can finish in the top four or better as an outlier tho. We need to be realistic with our expectations and according to the bookies we're going to run 15th next season.
The same bookies who said we’d get the spoon in 2019? The same bookies who predicted the federal election result? I won’t be placing a bet with them.

This is very much about 2021 and always has been yet because the club didn’t make a raft of signing announcements on 1 November the bleaters with their half empty glasses on here were (and remain) in full song.

2020 is about as much improvement as possible - some recruitment, some more experience for the younger guys and seeing the back end of the cap disaster.

It takes time. When Des did the same thing to Manly they took around 6 years to recover and we’re on our way back in half that time.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The same bookies who said we’d get the spoon in 2019? The same bookies who predicted the federal election result? I won’t be placing a bet with them.

This is very much about 2021 and always has been yet because the club didn’t make a raft of signing announcements on 1 November the bleaters with their half empty glasses on here were (and remain) in full song.

2020 is about as much improvement as possible - some recruitment, some more experience for the younger guys and seeing the back end of the cap disaster.

It takes time. When Des did the same thing to Manly they took around 6 years to recover and we’re on our way back in half that time.
It's more where people from the outside rank us against the other teams before a ball is kicked. I don't think we're going to finish 15th but I'm basing that on heart something that people without a connection to the club won't do.

I'm not sure when the club is planning to start their recruitment but the longer we wait the more talent available for 2021 that gets locked up. I don't really think how we perform next year is going to have much say on how or who we recruit as I think a lot of the top talent will be locked up before it matters as I said previously. A lot of my views are based on us being competitive for 2021 if that isn't the goal then there are other ways to go around things.

I personally think buying four to five top or emerging players and adding them to our squad would fast forward the process of making us a top eight team which is a massive step up from where we are currently. I still have faith in the board because there is no harm in not and as soon as I see their recruitment method and method in general play out and be successful I'll be praising them. They also know better then me.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's more where people from the outside rank us against the other teams before a ball is kicked. I don't think we're going to finish 15th but I'm basing that on heart something that people without a connection to the club won't do.

I'm not sure when the club is planning to start their recruitment but the longer we wait the more talent available for 2021 that gets locked up. I don't really think how we perform next year is going to have much say on how or who we recruit as I think a lot of the top talent will be locked up before it matters as I said previously. A lot of my views are based on us being competitive for 2021 if that isn't the goal then there are other ways to go around things.

I personally think buying four to five top or emerging players and adding them to our squad would fast forward the process of making us a top eight team which is a massive step up from where we are currently. I still have faith in the board because there is no harm in not and as soon as I see their recruitment method and method in general play out and be successful I'll be praising them. They also know better then me.
I don’t see why we should be concerned about what outsiders think - especially bookies.

Being the underdog has always been the Dogs strength.

I’m sure there’s a plan for 2021 - there simply has to be. And these days what’s ‘locked up’? There’s always now mid-season transfers (DWZ perfect example). I’m sure we’ll get a shot at players in 2020 possibly for some of 2020 but definitely for 2021.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t see why we should be concerned about what outsiders think - especially bookies.

Being the underdog has always been the Dogs strength.

I’m sure there’s a plan for 2021 - there simply has to be. And these days what’s ‘locked up’? There’s always now mid-season transfers (DWZ perfect example). I’m sure we’ll get a shot at players in 2020 possibly for some of 2020 but definitely for 2021.
I think it's very possible we find one to two good reject players (players not wanted at their current club for whatever reason) for us a season. I don't think it's the best thing to rely only on them popping up tho. I think the club has done a terrific job up until this point I'm just not sure continuing the recruitment method we've be doing will get us any further or at least by 2021.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
lets just change our name to the Sydney Titans......honestly how fucking useless are we

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think it's very possible we find one to two good reject players (players not wanted at their current club for whatever reason) for us a season. I don't think it's the best thing to rely only on them popping up tho. I think the club has done a terrific job up until this point I'm just not sure continuing the recruitment method we've be doing will get us any further or at least by 2021.
There’s a difference between players being unhappy and clubs not wanting them (so called rejects). I think you’ll find most clubs wouldn’t want to keep unhappy players, even if the club doesn’t necessarily want them to go. It’s no good for morale or results on the field.

One great thing about the Dogs is we almost never seem to suffer from players wanting out - once they are in, they generally like to stay. (Exceptions of course eg: Klemmer).

None of us are yet sure of the plan for 2021 - but I believe there is one and it will be unveiled as we get closer to 2020 kick-off. I’ll be very surprised and disappointed if it’s about fringe or solid first graders - there’s gotta be more.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The main reason I wouldn't offer huge money to forwards is that we recently tried that method. And though it generally saw us getting into the finals, in the end it didn't seem to get us anywhere close to winning the premiership. I think that the rules have slowly changed to soften the impact of dominant packs. Our last premiership winning team took advantage of the fact that a dominant forward pack could win tight games. The teams that generally push through and go well in the finals manage that because their creative players can offer scoring opportunities to every player in the team under our current rules.

Examples- Broncos this year had a great pack but lacked creative players. Melbourne had a wealth of creativity but not the strongest pack.

Nowadays you need a very strong long kicking game to soften the impact that refereeing decisions can make if they decide to starve the team of possession. You need a solid or better short kicking game which gives scoring opportunities and the possibility of repeat sets. And ideally you want very good ball distribution that allows you to quickly change the direction of the play when the defence starts to commit.

I think that even if we wind up with a forward pack that is just competitive rather than dominant we won't suffer too much. As long as we keep working towards getting creative players in the key positions we're going to be better off. If we go back to spending all our cap on forwards we won't be able to make serious offers to the elite players that become available in those key creative positions.

Right up until Ennis was moved on I think our pack was pretty close to the best in the game. Our defensive efforts took us a long way, but scoring has been where we lacked. Melbourne at the same time had a competitive pack but creativity to burn in the spine. Their defence has always been good, but even if they had a game where it was off, they could always find points based on their creative players.