News Broncos vs Bulldogs Basket Case Contest

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Saturday afternoon at 5.30pm, the Brisbane Broncos will take to their home track and do battle with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

In days gone by, it would have lit up television ratings, ignited radio interest and in a more digital age been a stimulus for clicks like few other NRL match-ups.
Instead, the two clubs will battle in what truly is nothing more than a meaningless contest, where one will nab two points against a team equally likely to own the 2021 wooden spoon.

The Broncos have begun the season with two straight losses. The first a bizarre and embarrassing second half capitulation to the Eels in Round 1, the other an equally unimpressive loss to little brother Gold Coast.

Similarly, the Bulldogs have begun the season with nothing more than a whimper; toweled up by the Knights in Round 1 and smacked from pillar to post by the Panthers a week later.

Frankly, it will be tough to predict a winner and only the decent first half performance of the Broncos against the Eels will give them a slight advantage with the bookies heading into what looks an underwhelming contest.
This Saturday afternoon at 5.30pm, the Brisbane Broncos will take to their home track and do battle with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

In days gone by, it would have lit up television ratings, ignited radio interest and in a more digital age been a stimulus for clicks like few other NRL match-ups.

1616726784177.gif
Instead, the two clubs will battle in what truly is nothing more than a meaningless contest, where one will nab two points against a team equally likely to own the 2021 wooden spoon.
The Broncos have begun the season with two straight losses. The first a bizarre and embarrassing second half capitulation to the Eels in Round 1, the other an equally unimpressive loss to little brother Gold Coast.

Similarly, the Bulldogs have begun the season with nothing more than a whimper; toweled up by the Knights in Round 1 and smacked from pillar to post by the Panthers a week later.
Frankly, it will be tough to predict a winner and only the decent first half performance of the Broncos against the Eels will give them a slight advantage with the bookies heading into what looks an underwhelming contest.
It is hard to believe it has come to this for two clubs with little, but successful runs in their resumes. However, in the cut throat world of competitive sport and off the back of some poor decision making, luck and intuition, the majority of NRL teams will feel confident of locking in two competition points when they meet both the Broncos and Dogs in the 2021 season.
2020 saw the Broncos claim the wooden spoon for the first time in their history. Living a charmed life with super coach Wayne Bennett at the helm for 25 of its first 31 years, the club was a perennial contender, six time premiership winner and runner-up in 2015 with Bennett back in charge after a six year hiatus.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing to see the once unbeatable Broncos choc full of stars & seemingly no salary cap where they are today? It's a pity we are down there too & can't take advantage of it. Both clubs' wounds are self inflicted; ours by Des & Co & theirs by Seibold who ripped all the experience out of them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing to see the once unbeatable Broncos choc full of stars & seemingly no salary cap where they are today? It's a pity we are down there too & can't take advantage of it. Both clubs' wounds are self inflicted; ours by Des & Co & theirs by Seibold who ripped all the experience out of them.
Bad salary cap management vs bad roster management.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fake news, the Tigers are the basketcase of the NRL

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You mean bad Des management.
I don't want to get into this argument, but I believe it's Dib and Castle's fault (they are the ones that ultimately told Des to play to a higher salary cap). You can blame Des for not developing our juniors and letting certain players go but that's about it. We would of lost our best players anyways with what we did.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair this new side have been forced to play in abysmal conditions both rounds so far.

We deserve a chance to see how we go on a dry track.
Agreed mate, it’s cooking up here at the moment, so they’ll go from 1 extreme to the other - even at 5.30pm tomorrow, it’s forecast to be up around 30 degrees with crazy humidity levels also.

Their fitness levels will be tested...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A meaningless contest in round three... Who comes up with this shit?
I think it's a massive game and must win game for both teams (I'd say more so Broncos) and since we're both bottom teams it should be a good contest. There can be good games that aren't only consisting of top teams. I think Dragons and Manly will be a good game too this week.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is a bigger game for the Broncos than us... we have been struggling for 4+ years whereas the Broncos were playing finals a year and a half ago but if they lose to us this weekend (which I do not think they will) their solitary victory in over 12 months was round 8 against us in 2020

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think it is a bigger game for the Broncos than us... we have been struggling for 4+ years whereas the Broncos were playing finals a year and a half ago but if they lose to us this weekend (which I do not think they will) their solitary victory in over 12 months was round 8 against us in 2020
The Broncos were getting tipped to finish top 4 in Seibs first year. If we beat the Broncos they have the Storm next week and I'm pretty sure they'll set a new record for most losses in a row.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair this new side have been forced to play in abysmal conditions both rounds so far.

We deserve a chance to see how we go on a dry track.
Absolutely agree. And if we win, we will have as many competition points as the reigning premiers! So shut the fuck up you typical scum reporter.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed mate, it’s cooking up here at the moment, so they’ll go from 1 extreme to the other - even at 5.30pm tomorrow, it’s forecast to be up around 30 degrees with crazy humidity levels also.

Their fitness levels will be tested...
It was pretty humid in nsw over Xmas though so hopefully it’s not a factor. Saints handled it ok in Townsville last week

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Broncos were getting tipped to finish top 4 in Seibs first year. If we beat the Broncos they have the Storm next week and I'm pretty sure they'll set a new record for most losses in a row.
Our problem has been shit player development, shit recruitment and shit retention.

I reckon the broncos problem is that a fair few of them don’t have a go. At least our blokes put in (apart from Napa).

Their team is still half decent on paper but blokes like Milf, Pangai, Boyd (last year) and Haas don’t look interested a lot of times.

Their recruitment has been shit as well but with the amount of juniors they still have to pick from there is no way they should be in the position they are