News Broncos need a Hoppa stopper to nullify in-form Dogs star

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/17/broncos-need-a-hoppa-stopper-to-nullify-in-form-dogs-star/

The Broncos have identified in-form Bulldogs centre Will Hopoate as the key man they must nullify as they prepare for the home clash at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

The Broncos had their final training session behind closed doors at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday morning where countering the star Bulldogs right centre was high on the agenda.
Rookie Herbie Farnworth has been named in the centres but NRL.com understands it is more likely veteran Alex Glenn will start in the role after he trained at left centre on Tuesday once it became clear that Matt Gillett (groin) was not going to be fit to play on Thursday night.
Hopoate ran for 235 metres last week and made seven tackle busts, one line break and scored a typically robust try when monstered by Knights defenders.

The former NSW Blues representative has been identified by Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold as a man that must be stopped by Glenn or Farnworth.
"It is a big challenge. He has been outstanding, Hopoate," Seibold said.
"He has probably been from what I can see the Bulldogs most consistent player. [Dallin] Watene-Zelezniak in the last couple of weeks has really added something to the team as well.
Pangai: Wayne’s gone so they gave me good money
"Hopoate has been averaging around 180 metres in recent games so he is a real handful. Whoever it is, Herbie or Alex, they have a big job to do."
With Gillett out, Seibold trialled a few options at Brisbane training to counter for his loss.
"We have named Herbie in the centres but Lexi [Glenn] trained there yesterday. We will have a look at it today [at the Suncorp session] and make a final decision on our final 17," Seibold said before the captain’s run.
"Yesterday was more about trying to fit Gillo, David [Fifita] and Tevita [Pangai jnr] in the starting side and get our best 13 players on the park. We have got plenty of options to play back row. We thought Herbie did a good job against the Warriors and has played a bit of centre against Norths. We don’t want to put too much pressure on Herbie."
Pangai said the off-contract Glenn would do the job for Brisbane if given the task to mark Hopoate.
"We trust him out there. Seibs wouldn’t put him out there if he couldn’t do the job," Pangai said.
"Alex is fighting for a contract so I hope he stays. He has good been for young back-rowers like myself and David [Fifita] and keeps us on his toes."
Seibold said free agents Glenn, Corey Oates and Jake Turpin were all players the Broncos intended to keep long term and was confident they would soon put pen to paper.
"We hope so. With Corey Oates we are a long way down the line with negotiations there so we feel as though that will happen sooner rather than later," he said.
"Jake Turpin, there has been a bit of interest from a number of clubs but we have made Jake an offer and we are working towards retaining him.

"Alex Glenn is somebody that I think has been in our top three most consistent players this year. I think he has got great leadership ability.
"We have got some of the younger players sorted out first but I have let Alex know that I want to keep him. We will try as hard as we can. I am sure other clubs are interested but I don’t think a 10-year player like Alex should finish his career elsewhere.
"We just have to make sure we can offer him something competitive and we are working out a way to do that. Long story

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
"In-form" and "Bulldogs" don't go together in the same sentence.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If they were really targeting him they wouldnt say it out loud. Somone ner him will be targeted instead. Psychology. Nasheed.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A hoppa stoppa is just a hector but it goes on your asshole

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny how Hoppa gets alot of hate.. one of the more useful players in our squad imo..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Broncos have talent across the park, they don't need to worry about our dangermen at all.

They just need to worry about not losing the game for themselves like they often do.

Malla

Reaction score
Their forwards are going to absolutely dominate us

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think Hopoate is a not a centre but a fullback or maybe a running five-eight. But he can't kick for shit.

But he is making huge meters and getting over the advantage line on a regular basis, a few more offloads with DTW hanging around could be very dangerous.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still think Hopoate is a not a centre but a fullback or maybe a running five-eight. But he can't kick for shit.

But he is making huge meters and getting over the advantage line on a regular basis, a few more offloads with DTW hanging around could be very dangerous.
Will never nail down the fullback role, but I agree about him at 5/8, was interested to see him get a shot there last season but it never happened.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Hopoate is the best 5/8 that never will be. Would love to see him more involved and given a roaming style role.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Hoppa has had a good season in a poor team, and looks more often than not the most likely to create a try scoring chance, even more likely than either of our halves. Broncos know if they somewhat contain him we have no more than a try or two in us

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
All he needs is a sniff and he gets the ball down, Thursday will be interesting.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will never nail down the fullback role, but I agree about him at 5/8, was interested to see him get a shot there last season but it never happened.
100%.
I would love to see him get a run at 5/8.
Probably the only thing stopping him is that he doesn't have a kicking game and now we have young guys we are trying to develop.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve got nothing against Hoppa, he tries hard and is pretty safe and consistent, and it’s not his fault he’s probably on overs. However it shows how far away we are from being a serious footy side when the opposition think he’s the biggest threat. I reckon I could name nearly 5 players at every club I’d consider more dangerous than Hoppa. I’m sure our team sheet isn’t giving too many players and coaches sleepless nights.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got nothing against Hoppa, he tries hard and is pretty safe and consistent, and it’s not his fault he’s probably on overs. However it shows how far away we are from being a serious footy side when the opposition think he’s the biggest threat. I reckon I could name nearly 5 players at every club I’d consider more dangerous than Hoppa. I’m sure our team sheet isn’t giving too many players and coaches sleepless nights.
IMHO you are severely underestimating Hopoate, the fact that he isn't surrounded by other threats means he gets targeted much easier by the opposition defence. The fact that the does as well as he does, despite drawing that level of attention, speaks as to how good he really is. With DWZ and CHN there now hopefully the opposition won't be able to concentrate so much on Hopoate and it gets even better when Foran comes back.

Go Dogs

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
IMHO you are severely underestimating Hopoate, the fact that he isn't surrounded by other threats means he gets targeted much easier by the opposition defence. The fact that the does as well as he does, despite drawing that level of attention, speaks as to how good he really is. With DWZ and CHN there now hopefully the opposition won't be able to concentrate so much on Hopoate and it gets even better when Foran comes back.

Go Dogs
I don’t think I’m underestimating Hoppa, just saying we need more strike power than what he offers, his strength is his experience and footy smarts, he’s never going to worry an opposition with his pace, footwork or strength. However I agree with the threats DWZ and CHN offer, and Foran’s running/passing game Hoppa compliments that well, and finally gives us a chance to improve our attack.