Broncos apparently willing to pay up to 600k-700k of Milford's & Bird's contract for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd take both of them no question for that amount. At that point tho (what they're contributing) the Broncos might as well keep them tho.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the milf can be saved. You’d take him in 13-14 form. Was like the reincarnation of Barba then. But moved to the broncos. Got fat. Played in the halves and went to shit.

sometimes with young players you are better off letting them develop before moving then too much.

but I’m sure the money has to do with it. You get 800k at 19-20 where is the desire to better yourself. He looks disinterested. But I’m sure if he was still trying to prove himself and was on 300k he would be 3 times the player he is.

I wouldn’t risk it. We are rebuilding. Don’t need lazy, fat, useless players coming in wrecking the cohesion.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if the milf can be saved. You’d take him in 13-14 form. Was like the reincarnation of Barba then. But moved to the broncos. Got fat. Played in the halves and went to shit.

sometimes with young players you are better off letting them develop before moving then too much.

but I’m sure the money has to do with it. You get 800k at 19-20 where is the desire to better yourself. He looks disinterested. But I’m sure if he was still trying to prove himself and was on 300k he would be 3 times the player he is.

I wouldn’t risk it. We are rebuilding. Don’t need lazy, fat, useless players coming in wrecking the cohesion.
I tend to agree on this. It's a bit of an issue for the game that any youngster that shows a year of good form during a contract year will get thrown huge money. It really can kill their motivation and work ethic. I look at one of the mistakes we made by throwing Mbye onto a big contract. He maintained his fitness here, but always looked disinterested on field.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Love it. They have been trying to offload both these guys for a while and it shows just how overpaid they really are and just how desperate the Broncos are.

Personally I would want neither; one has no real commitment to his team and went there purely for money and the other injury riddled. Sow what you reap I say and seeing how we have been punished by paying massive overs for blokes and stuffing our cap situation for years not a particularly good idea to take these blokes on board.

Sick of taking players from other clubs just to improve their cap situation and all we end up doing is loading our roster with players who are not wanted at their current clubs for the reason of money and commitment.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I tend to agree on this. It's a bit of an issue for the game that any youngster that shows a year of good form during a contract year will get thrown huge money. It really can kill their motivation and work ethic. I look at one of the mistakes we made by throwing Mbye onto a big contract. He maintained his fitness here, but always looked disinterested on field.
But if you then sign him up on a much lesser contract then surely his motivation would be different? He'd be more focused on actually turning things around? A second chance?

Not saying we sign him, but by your reasoning then by taking a young 'spoilt' player back to the basics of having to prove himself again then maybe it's a huge opportunity for our club?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want players with heart not just talent . Bird would be good but not worth the risk injury wise

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But if you then sign him up on a much lesser contract then surely his motivation would be different? He'd be more focused on actually turning things around? A second chance?

Not saying we sign him, but by your reasoning then by taking a young 'spoilt' player back to the basics of having to prove himself again then maybe it's a huge opportunity for our club?
Depends how long his remaining contract at the Broncos is. If next year was the final year we'd have a chance to let him know that his only chance of being remotely close to retaining a high wage was to play out of his skin and display commitment to training. If he had 2 or more years left on contract, it might be harder to convince him to step up and play.

I actually see some similarities between Milford's and Chris Sandows situation. There will be a club somewhere who tries to turn Milford back into a footballer. But it's Milford that has to want to reach his potential.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Milford is a very confusing player, I reckon he is a similar boat to Mbye where neither of them seem to know what position they are supposed to be.

I would prefer we steer clear of him, although if it is stupid cheap like 300k then we wouldn't have much to lose in giving him a go.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Siebold said in interview a couple days ago that he is unaware of any plans to offload Milford, and that he likes him and wants to keep working with him.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milford is a very confusing player, I reckon he is a similar boat to Mbye where neither of them seem to know what position they are supposed to be.

I would prefer we steer clear of him, although if it is stupid cheap like 300k then we wouldn't have much to lose in giving him a go.
I just cannot get on board with Milford, for a number of reasons:
1. He is always fighting for a penalty in tackles, complaining when not awarded one
2. The hair pull on Corey Harawira-Naera (when he was at the Panthers) - pathetic
3. Rarely appears to smile; on field or off it

Don't think he has the fit to be a Bulldog

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just cannot get on board with Milford, for a number of reasons:
1. He is always fighting for a penalty in tackles, complaining when not awarded one
2. The hair pull on Corey Harawira-Naera (when he was at the Panthers) - pathetic
3. Rarely appears to smile; on field or off it

Don't think he has the fit to be a Bulldog
Yup, now you’ve made those key points, I tend to agree.. on the cheap I said yes! But nah no smile/no fit for us and may prove costly to the playing groups dynamic.!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Would prefer a Keary, followed by SJ, but would much prefer Milford over bird, and he would do better here with Baz than at the sinking ship they call the donkeys.!!!
Scoooby my friend. Your profile picture with Lafai. That jersey he is wearing gets me hard. What a fucking beautiful jersey

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Scoooby my friend. Your profile picture with Lafai. That jersey he is wearing gets me hard. What a fucking beautiful jersey
Glad you like it mate, I’ve got one kept nice an safe in my merchandise/doggies collection. one of my favs also.!!!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, now you’ve made those key points, I tend to agree.. on the cheap I said yes! But nah no smile/no fit for us and may prove costly to the playing groups dynamic.!!
Actually, I don't mind cheap for either of these two .. we need some kinda payback for offloading our squad over the years and paying them to play against us.
However, I would prefer we only accept their current contract length and any extension is effort and contribution based to maximize possible ROI.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bird is one injury away from retirement

I’d take Milf and back Baz to get the best out of him

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn’t want Milford for 100k **** has a heart the size of a pea

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like the idea of Milford at the Bulldogs.
Maybe Milford needs a fresh start at a new club, he seems to be a player that really needs a strong environment to perform to his potential that we saw years ago.
Look at his history, 13-14 Canberra was like the broncos in the last two season and they did shit.
Wayne Bennett jumps in broncos / Top 8 side for a few years
I think that a club with strong values, strong culture, new coach and is moving in a positive direction for a rebuild would be really beneficial for him.
Especially on what has been said about Trent’s attacking style and coaching.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only place for Milford is fullback. He can't make the tackles needed for a half. I'd stick with Hoppa for another year and make fullback a priority recruit for 2022.