News British import Luke Thompson charged with inspiring ailing Bulldogs in debut against Broncos

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Adrian Morley, Sam Burgess, James Graham ... Luke Thompson needs to draw on the spirit of his fellow British prop forwards if he is to make a success of his NRL stint with the Bulldogs.

English import Luke Thompson can transform Canterbury’s ailing 2020 season - so long as he holds nothing back in his attempts to prove himself in the NRL.

Ahead of the star import’s Bulldogs debut against Brisbane on Saturday, legendary enforcer Mark “Spudd” Carroll has urged the former St Helens man to inspire his Bulldogs teammates with the same warrior mentality that made fellow Brits James Graham, Sam Burgess and Adrian Morley legends in Australia.

“If he comes as a front-rower should, with a warrior attitude, these young blokes will jump on board,” Carroll said.

“If there’s new meat in town, you want to see how he goes, so it’ll be good to see how he aims up. Talking to Sam Burgess, he’s got high regard for him.

“We had James Graham, he was a warrior. We had Adrian Morley and Sam Burgess. That’s three great players there, and there’s sort of been a mantle to come to our game and you have to live up to that.

“If he comes here with a big head and thinks it’s just going to happen - mate, we aren’t playing bloody Super League. We’re playing NRL, the hardest competition in the world, and I think it sums him up that he’s going to come here and give it a crack.”

Having spent two weeks self-isolating before he was allowed to train with his new teammates, Thompson is champing at the bit to play his first match in almost four months.

Hailed as the best prop in the world by former St Helens coach and current Titans mentor Justin Holbrook, the 25-year-old Thompson said he relished the brutal collisions in the middle of the field.

“I don’t take a backward step, I like the confrontation, I like the contact side of the game,” Thompson said.

“It makes me feel alive.”

“To be honest I don’t really get that nervous, I’m more excited for the game this weekend. It’ll be an honour to wear that blue and white shirt.”

Man of the match in St Helens grand final victory over Salford last year, Thompson is a welcome addition for the struggling Bulldogs.

Carroll has backed Thompson to make an immediate impact, starting on Saturday.

Despite their poor record, the Broncos still boast some fearsome middle forwards, including Tevita Pangai Junior and Payne Haas, and Thompson will have to prove himself from the jump.

“He looks like he’s built like Tarzan. Me personally, if I was playing the game, I’d want to see how good he is, so I’d come out of the line and give him a whack. It sounds like he’s got some grit between the teeth and he’d give it back, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do,” Carroll said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/452e341d2b77b8ac612f45447b0f8639

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like this bloke already but he's a forward so he's not going to make that much difference. A new coach, a 9 and a ball playing fullback will make a far bigger impact on the team
We also aren't exactly lacking effort...coaching, confidence and ability sure, but not effort. He will provide our halves with something better to work off but as we've seen with the Cowboys not even Taumalolo can carry them..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like this bloke already but he's a forward so he's not going to make that much difference. A new coach, a 9 and a ball playing fullback will make a far bigger impact on the team
Could make a difference as the article said—in attitude for the team. Like when DWZ joined last year. The team followed his lead

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
New meat in town? Is Spud talking about a Grinder date he had?

In all seriousness we shouldn't put too much pressure on Thompson. He's had a far from ideal introduction to the NRL...

I think he'll make a huge impact over time but there's only so much he can do as a middle forward on a bottom placed team short term.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope he takes over 4th tackle duties from Tolman. Hahahaha. There’s a start.

Reactions: DT

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could make a difference as the article said—in attitude for the team. Like when DWZ joined last year. The team followed his lead
Agree in terms of attitude he should help the team overall. Hopefully he embarrasses Napa into playing tough as he's starting to fall into the T-Rex category for being one of the most disappointing buys of the last decade in terms of forwards

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like him, need a new coach though lol.!!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the wrong game for him to start for us. He shouldve started last week.

All these articles, the high praise etc this just puts a target on him for TPJ

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish Thomo all the best with his Bulldogs debut....with all the hype surrounding our new recruit the heat is squarely upon him.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will improve our pack but he wont make a whole lot of difference to our lack of points which is and has been our biggest issue for so long..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are there any props as agile and quick as this bloke in the NRL? Could be a game changer like Taumalolo

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think go forward, fast play the balls, faster line speed, limiting post contact metres from the opposition and effective offloads are pretty important

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope he is mongrel dog on the field with the same attitude as early days James Graham. He seems really quite and a nice bloke in his interviews but I have my fingers crossed he clicks it once he crosses the line. Our pack is crying out for a hard bastard.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are there any props as agile and quick as this bloke in the NRL? Could be a game changer like Taumalolo
Probably not. I vaguely remember reading a quote form George Williams about Thompson where he said Thompson came into the England team and smashed all the backs In the sprint drills.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF this squad and I include Pay in this, need help with inspiration they should be in A grade let alone football.
Your on over 100,000 to play a game you love while fans are on alot less.
Focus and pull your heads in and win the bloody game or go get an apprenticeship muppets

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he can consistently bend the line and put us on the front foot, then he definitely can make a massive difference.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he can consistently bend the line and put us on the front foot, then he definitely can make a massive difference.
Putting a Caterpillar engine into a Mustang doesn't necessarily mean the extra horsepower makes it a Ferrari.