Brisbane want to dump Wayne Bennett and sign Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy on a four-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When were the Storm kicked out of the comp.

And when were they reinstated.

Was there a protest march like the South Sydney one.
Lame jokes are lame.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bellamy is the real deal hands down.

he has turned so many no name players into super stars.

and all the super stars who left him turned into average players... Justin o neil , procter to name a few.
O'neil has won a comp and played SOO and for OZ since he left... Maloney goes OK too as does Blair. Procter has been busted more often than not but he will come good. Unless Bellamy finds another Cronk/Smith/Slater combo he is just another coach. 2 of them missing last week and what was the score again? What about when Smith missed his last game the GF and they got done 40 blot. I don't think he was playing the day we flogged them up in Cairns either.....

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Bellamy's success is overrated... every single premiership with a cheated roster.
Um 2012 and 2017...
Illegally assembled roster in 2012 and 2017. They were rorting the cap in order to keep Cronk, Smith and Slater years before and they all took a paycut to stay there. If the Storm stuck within the salary cap the years prior to 2010, there's a good chance 1, or even 2 of them wouldn't have been retained (hey, it happened to us). They wouldn't have won the comp in 2012 if Slater and/or Cronk weren't there with Smith.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gronks have confirmed they are chating with Bellamy

Broncos confirm discussions with Bellamy as potential Bennett replacement
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Wed 23 May 2018, 09:55 AM
Share on social media
Broncos chief executive Paul White has admitted the club has contacted Craig Bellamy to discuss the Storm coach potentially replacing Wayne Bennett in 2020.

White addressed the media in Brisbane on Wednesday morning in the wake of revelations the club was interested in luring Bellamy from the Storm.

Bellamy is off contract at season's end while Bennett's deal with the Broncos does not expire until the end of the 2019 Telstra Premiership.

White revealed Bennett actually told him if he wanted to explore other options that he should contact Bellamy to gauge his interest in taking over at the Broncos.

"Part of my job is a leadership role and part of that leadership role is not only planning for today but planning for the future," he said.

"Wayne understands as much as anyone that we've got to have an eye for the future ... he's comfortable that that's part of my job.

"We've had a conversation with Craig. That conversation was predicated by a conversation with Wayne and the chairman [Karl Morris].

We've had a conversation with Craig. That conversation was predicated by a conversation with Wayne and the chairman.

Paul White
"Craig's currently considering an offer from Melbourne and we won't be impinging on that process"

Asked whether the Broncos would table Bellamy an offer, White said: "Should he knock back Melbourne's approach. We would need to understand from Craig that he wasn't prepared to sign with Melbourne."

Bennett has frequently stated a desire to keep coaching beyond 2019.

"We haven't sat down and spoke about that in any formal way," White said.
"Wayne and I have been consistent. He's got a contract until the end of 2019. He very much has the club's best interest at heart.

"If we come up with a plan and it's a plan that's communicated internally the right way, I know long-term that Wayne will be supportive of that."

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And Storm have acted to offer Bellamy a contract as well

Storm table new offer to Bellamy as Broncos circle
Author
Michael Chammas & Margie McDonald
Timestamp
Wed 23 May 2018, 08:38 AM
Share on social media
The Melbourne Storm have revealed the club has tabled a lucrative three-year deal to coach Craig Bellamy in the wake of a report linking the premiership-winning mentor to a switch to Brisbane.

Storm CEO Dave Donaghy told NRL.com on Tuesday night the club had presented a substantial offer to Bellamy in April.

It comes as the NRL premiers try to maintain their position as a Telstra Premiership powerhouse in the wake of Cooper Cronk's switch to the Roosters and the end nearing on the glittering careers of international stars Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.

Fox Sports reported on Tuesday night that Bellamy was in the sights of the Broncos, which raises questions about the tenure of coach Wayne Bennett, who is contracted to Brisbane until the end of 2019.

NRL.com understands Broncos CEO Paul White recently met with Bellamy in Melbourne.

"Craig has a significant three-year deal on the table with us. That's been there for a month," Donaghy said.

Asked about Brisbane's reported interest, Donaghy said: "That's a question for them. I don't care."

NRL.com has been told Bellamy has been offered a four-year deal by the Broncos worth in the vicinity of $5 million.

Adding intrigue to the situation is that Bellamy is off contract at the Storm at the end of this season while Bennett's deal with the Broncos runs until the end of the 2019 Telstra Premiership campaign.

Bellamy, who begun his NRL coaching apprenticeship as an assistant to Bennett at the Broncos in the late 1990s, has shelved any thoughts of retirement and plans to continue his head coaching career into a 17th straight year.

The 59-year-old, who turns 60 in October, has two grandchildren living in Melbourne and told NRL.com recently he was keen to stay if he can strike the right deal with the Storm.

Bellamy has also fielded another expression of interest in his services from a third NRL club.

He has cut ties with long-standing management firm, The Fordham Company, and has signed with a new agent to help negotiate his latest contract.

He has won four grand finals as a coach, although only the 2012 and 2017 titles are in the record books after the Storm were stripped of the 2007 and 2009 premierships after systematic salary cap rorts were uncovered in 2010.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bellamy couldn't win an origin series.
My judgment on Bennett and Bellamy.

Bennett a coach with leg up his whole career in regards to a one team town and same with Bellamy.

They also coached teams with unlimited TPA's and uncapped talent

Teams owned by News limited which basically run the NRL along with betting companies and media outlets.

Yes the can assert a strong culture and maybe good coaches but in my opinion overrated.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My judgment on Bennett and Bellamy.

Bennett a coach with leg up his whole career in regards to a one team town and same with Bellamy.

They also coached teams with unlimited TPA's and uncapped talent

Teams owned by News limited which basically run the NRL along with betting companies and media outlets.

Yes the can assert a strong culture and maybe good coaches but in my opinion overrated.
Not the case at the dragons when he won a comp

Reactions: Kaz

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not the case at the dragons when he won a comp
Counter argument

- A freed up salary cap and a team already full of stars to deal with... Hardly a challenge.

- St George were already a Top 8 team at the time

- What happened at Newcastle?

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Illegally assembled roster in 2012 and 2017. They were rorting the cap in order to keep Cronk, Smith and Slater years before and they all took a paycut to stay there. If the Storm stuck within the salary cap the years prior to 2010, there's a good chance 1, or even 2 of them wouldn't have been retained (hey, it happened to us). They wouldn't have won the comp in 2012 if Slater and/or Cronk weren't there with Smith.
So you're saying we didn't win the comp in 2004 either? Also their big 3 didn't take a pay cut. They got rid of players like Greg Inglis to get under the cap.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Listening to Bellamy in his press conference today it sounds like he wants to coach the Broncos

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So you're saying we didn't win the comp in 2004 either? Also their big 3 didn't take a pay cut. They got rid of players like Greg Inglis to get under the cap.
Many people do make that argument. They say that we won the comp with a team that was illegally assembled, and I can see where they are coming from. Willie Mason played a big part in our 2004 season, and he was front and centre regarding the salary cap back in 02.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Many people do make that argument. They say that we won the comp with a team that was illegally assembled, and I can see where they are coming from. Willie Mason played a big part in our 2004 season, and he was front and centre regarding the salary cap back in 02.
Many people bitch about a lot of things. Saying Storm's 2017 title winning team was formed illegaly after they were busted in 2010 for cheating the cap is insanely stupid.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We should totally get wayne and have dean as understudy for a couple of years he would learn alot but it wont happen im tipping bennett will go to storm and a coach swap

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't believe that Bellamy will leave the Storm.

I think his manager etc leaked the info to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.