Brian Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There have been some really bad coaches names thrown around here lately. I want a coach who actually has a record of winning games, or, someone who has learnt the ropes as a assistant coach and looks ready for a go as head coach if Des where to move on.

In Smiths last NRL coaching job at the Roosters, he won 46%. The Roosters finished 6th in his first year there, 11th in the second year, and 13th in his final year. They won the premiership the year after they dropped him.

If there is a small diamond in there somewhere, it is covered by tons and tons of rough.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the next few weeks will play out if we retain Des Hasler. If Ivan Cleary signs with Wests, then who is the replacement should Bulldogs and Hasler not come to terms?

If Hasler dont work out, can we look for the Diamond in the rough?

BRIAN SMITH.

We know he can get very quick results, we know he will get you to a grand final.. We know He wants to win a grand final more than anything just like our football club..

Is Brian Smith the diamond out in the rough?
Des has got us to 2 grand finals. We need to actually win one.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brian Smith. Yeh why not. May just fluke a GF. Can coach and Im over Haslers antics. Hes a fuckwit of gigantic proportions. A man caught up in every decreasing circles of strategic management of the game. His performance in last weeks presser told me hes had 1 too many head knocks as a player. Time to go back to Manly.

If Dean Pay not available and Ivan Cleary goes to Tigers Id be calling B Smith.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol to everyone saying Bellamy is overrated, the bloke has been the best in the business for a while now. Every player he has coached and even players his sacked have nothing but good words about him, the guy turns boys in men.

1. The bloke has an influence on all grades and regularly talks to reserve players and tells them what he wants for them even if there not in the 17.

2. What people overlook is that even though he is judged on the field, off the field he has a big influence on his players. He makes every single player that hasn't worked a "proper" job do a 2 week apprenticeship without pay on a job site to teach them how privileged they are to play first grade. The has straightened up so many players its not even funny and he seems to be the coach in the NRL that does this as well.

3. He identifies talent like Cleal eats pies. How many player that we have never heard of before has Bellamy made into decent first graders.

4. People underestimate how much he has evolved the Storm gameplan, don't believe me watch a game from 2010 then 2013 then 2016.

5. Bellamy reaping the rewards of the Salary cap breach is the biggest myth, the players left from that team are Smith, Cronk and Slater all players that debuted for the Storm, its not like they went out and signed them as seasoned pros and then after the breach they released all the past players that were tied to contracts (like Parra did).

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brain Smith!! this has to be a joke right..
Its not funny!
I wouldnt mind Todd Payton has a awesome winning record in the lower grades.
Now assistant coach to Paul Green he would be a great asset.
Also the big 4 at the Tigers wanted him as coach instead of Taylor,he coached them all through the lower grades.
Now that would be a big carrot for Mitchell Moses and Tedesco...
Win win all round i reckon!

Reactions: DT

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol to everyone saying Bellamy is overrated, the bloke has been the best in the business for a while now. Every player he has coached and even players his sacked have nothing but good words about him, the guy turns boys in men.

1. The bloke has an influence on all grades and regularly talks to reserve players and tells them what he wants for them even if there not in the 17.

2. What people overlook is that even though he is judged on the field, off the field he has a big influence on his players. He makes every single player that hasn't worked a "proper" job do a 2 week apprenticeship without pay on a job site to teach them how privileged they are to play first grade. The has straightened up so many players its not even funny and he seems to be the coach in the NRL that does this as well.

3. He identifies talent like Cleal eats pies. How many player that we have never heard of before has Bellamy made into decent first graders.

4. People underestimate how much he has evolved the Storm gameplan, don't believe me watch a game from 2010 then 2013 then 2016.

5. Bellamy reaping the rewards of the Salary cap breach is the biggest myth, the players left from that team are Smith, Cronk and Slater all players that debuted for the Storm, its not like they went out and signed them as seasoned pros and then after the breach they released all the past players that were tied to contracts (like Parra did).
I didn't know about #2. Brilliant idea.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed,

All this talk on the forum the last 6 months about replacing des, no ones offered up a better alternative.

Made me do some thinking, now that Nathan clearys all but locked up to coach the tigers, who's on the market that would realistically add value?

Daniel Anderson?
Blacklisted from nrl after parra fiasco
Geoff Toovey?
Just signed with Salford. Not a good fit anyway.
Michael Maguire?
I read rumours he's in the outer all the time but reality is I strongly suspect that's bullshit. He's won a comp.
Tim sheens?
SuperCoach but I just can't see it happening. Can't see the dogs replacing with someone his age.
Andrew Webster?
Still a bit green
Steve Folkes?
I wouldn't mind but they parted ways for a reason I guess

The only logical one for a team like the dogs I can see, a team who can splash the cash is Brian Smith.

No bullshit coach, the most brutal and tough in terms of cleaning out dead wood, history of success. Experience.

The only stipulation is id only sign him up to a short term contract, he seems to expire after two years and piss people off, but he's the ultimate rebuilding coach, look who he punted at roosters and Newcastle and transformed them !

I guarantee that if we had Brian he would make the tough call and move on the below;

Lichaa
Mbye
Eastwood
Tolman
Reynolds
Phillips
Jackson
Hoppa
Graham
Holland
Abbey
And the underperforming Lower graders

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with the rest of the list tho

Reactions: DT

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If the Tigers have locked up Nathan Cleary to coach them we should take a look at Ivan tbh.

We're better off looking at someone untested who loves the club than getting out our archeological gear and extracting old fossils. The Roosters, Cowboys and Souths didn't win premierships recently by signing tried and tested NRL coaches who have been out of the system and lost touch with the game.

They tried something new.

We do need someone to clean out the "dead wood" players we are carrying like Jackson....he says sarcastically.

Jackson? Seriously Nasheed. Your trolling is slipping a bit mate. Calling Hackdon dead weight is just a bit too ridiculous to stir shit man

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He wouldn't want to coach us, he's currently on the big bux as a consultant to Serbian Rugby League.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Another idea, and this is actually an obvious one I, and everyone else has missed.....
Steve georgallis.

I can reveal that he is the coach of our successful NSW cup side, has a plethora of lower grade and England experience and dabbles briefly in the NRL.

Logically, isn't he the successor ?
Young coach through the system as is the trend of recent years.

Benjamin Short

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Laurie Daly is of contract with the blues after this origin series
Knows the players well he's well respected

Status
Not open for further replies.