Brent Sherwin backs young half Moses Mbye to handle big stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...handle-big-stage/story-e6frf3pu-1227530560971

CANTERBURY’S last premiership winning halfback has backed young playmaker Moses Mbye to deliver if another clutch moment presents itself.

Mbye missed the opportunity to seal the win against St George Illawarra when he shanked a field goal attempt in the 61st minute of Saturday’s elimination final.

It was halves partner Josh Reynolds who eventually kicked the winning one-pointer in extra time to send the Bulldogs through to this week’s clash with Sydney Roosters.

Brent Sherwin, who won a title with the Dogs in 2004, knows Mbye possesses the traits to perform on the big stage.

He even sees a bit of himself in the 22-year-old.

“I like how he does things that the coach probably doesn’t like, but I used to do that too,” Sherwin said of Mbye.

“I think he’ll get better and better over the next few years.”

Sherwin is confident the current halves pairing of Mbye and Reynolds can lead the Bulldogs all the way to another grand final.

“It’s good to have a left footer and right footer, one on each side,” Sherwin said.

“Grub’s (Reynolds) just a competitor, he loves winning.”

The Bulldogs have thrown Mbye into the No 7 jumper to replace the injured Trent Hodkinson, who is Newcastle bound after this season.

Rookie hooker Damien Cook has also been elevated to wear the No 9 in place of regular rake Michael Lichaa.

Club legend Hazem El Masri says the Bulldogs are spoiled for choice when it comes to picking their spine.

“To win a grand final you have to have good depth,” El Masri said.

“The guys that have come in to replace those injured players have done a really good job"

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Oh warms the cockles of my heart to heart from ol' shifty. God bless you son. We love you. Best halfback the dogs have ever had.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
*cough* Mortimer *cough*
Mate Mortimer was the best of his time and him and Baa were the reason I chose the dogs as a 6 yr old....but shifty played in a much faster, more technical era. I didn't make that claim lightly. If you got Turvey and Shifty playing against each other in 2004 id say Shifty would just come up trumps. His kicking game (esp short) was superb.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Reynolds has to lead the team and make the clutch plays. Its still mbyes first year. Reynolds will deliver. He came good with 2 big plays late in the game against the dragons.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mortimer's cover defence destroys Sherwin's.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mortimer and Lamb at their best were only a shadow of Shifty in his prime.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Mortimer, Lamb and Sherwin have nothing on Aaron Groom and his YouTube highlights package!

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting Ben Roberts on that one run where he scored against Brisbane.

Best half ever. For one run.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting Ben Roberts on that one run where he scored against Brisbane.

Best half ever. For one run.
Earned himself a new contract on the back of that game

Money. Well. Spent.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Mybe, he seems like a nice well spoken kid. The club and Des have put a lot of faith in him passing on Sezer coming back to the Dogs and letting Hokko go to Newcastle.
I'm hoping he explodes tomortow night and has a good kicking game!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd take Shifty now over Mbye now.

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Shifty still looks in good condition, went down to watch an A grade footy game at River Road resersve or whatever it's called now and found he was the coach of that team. Looks like he could still carve them up.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Almost a copy and paste from the article about him last week, lets hope Shifty's words bring a little more magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.