Brent Naden

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
UNLUCKY PANTHERS ON THE MOVE?

It’s been a rollercoaster few days for Panthers centre Brent Naden. The 24-year-old was dropped to the bench before Saturday’s preliminary final and now it’s been reported that the club hasn’t made any moves to lock him up.

Rothfield is reporting that Naden, who is off contract at the end of 2021 and therefore can negotiate with rivals from November 1, hasn’t had any interest from the Panthers yet for 2022 and beyond.

“It’s interesting, I spoke to his manager, Allan Gainey, last week. Naden is off contract at the end of next season, which puts him in the position in a few weeks time on November 1 to talk to other clubs,” Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast.

“Allan Gainey has said Penrith have made no approaches yet which is a little bit surprising because most clubs have an initial chat to try and take them off the market before other clubs can make offers.”

With no word from the Panthers, Rothfield believes Naden could be on his way out — but he may actually be scooped up by Barrett, currently an assistant at Penrith, to go to the Bulldogs with him.

He also says promising half Matt Burton is on Barrett’s radar. The 20-year-old has plenty of talent but is stuck behind Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary.

“I’m wondering if he may be a little bit on the outer there as far as what his long-term future is and Penrith have got that brilliant young football side they have to lock up on long-term contracts.

“They’ve got Matt Burton in a similar situation, the outstanding five-eighth from the bush who can’t get a game of football. I’m just wondering if the Panthers don’t move and lock these two up, Trent Barrett as we know is off to the Bulldogs next year and we all know the Bulldogs need more strike power, more strength, more pace, sharpness in the centres so I wouldn’t be surprised if when Barrett finishes up this weekend whether he’d be thinking about a player like Brent Naden if he’s not wanted at the Panthers.”

Thoughts on picking up Naden? I'd be all for it. We've got plenty of players/outside backs coming off contract for the 2022 season so fitting him in the cap shouldn't be an issue (can't imagine him requesting massive dollars). He's got strike power in the centres which we've been missing. Plus he's already got that Penrith conneciton with TB.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can he play left centre?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
UNLUCKY PANTHERS ON THE MOVE?

It’s been a rollercoaster few days for Panthers centre Brent Naden. The 24-year-old was dropped to the bench before Saturday’s preliminary final and now it’s been reported that the club hasn’t made any moves to lock him up.

Rothfield is reporting that Naden, who is off contract at the end of 2021 and therefore can negotiate with rivals from November 1, hasn’t had any interest from the Panthers yet for 2022 and beyond.

“It’s interesting, I spoke to his manager, Allan Gainey, last week. Naden is off contract at the end of next season, which puts him in the position in a few weeks time on November 1 to talk to other clubs,” Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast.

“Allan Gainey has said Penrith have made no approaches yet which is a little bit surprising because most clubs have an initial chat to try and take them off the market before other clubs can make offers.”

With no word from the Panthers, Rothfield believes Naden could be on his way out — but he may actually be scooped up by Barrett, currently an assistant at Penrith, to go to the Bulldogs with him.

He also says promising half Matt Burton is on Barrett’s radar. The 20-year-old has plenty of talent but is stuck behind Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary.

“I’m wondering if he may be a little bit on the outer there as far as what his long-term future is and Penrith have got that brilliant young football side they have to lock up on long-term contracts.

“They’ve got Matt Burton in a similar situation, the outstanding five-eighth from the bush who can’t get a game of football. I’m just wondering if the Panthers don’t move and lock these two up, Trent Barrett as we know is off to the Bulldogs next year and we all know the Bulldogs need more strike power, more strength, more pace, sharpness in the centres so I wouldn’t be surprised if when Barrett finishes up this weekend whether he’d be thinking about a player like Brent Naden if he’s not wanted at the Panthers.”

Thoughts on picking up Naden? I'd be all for it. We've got plenty of players/outside backs coming off contract for the 2022 season so fitting him in the cap shouldn't be an issue (can't imagine him requesting massive dollars). He's got strike power in the centres which we've been missing. Plus he's already got that Penrith conneciton with TB.
As a winger only and offload DWZ to get Addo-Carr. Then our back 3 would be
1. Addo-Carr, 2. Okunbur / Smith, 5. Naden. Fast fullback and 2 fast big bodies on the wings

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As a winger only and offload DWZ to get Addo-Carr. Then our back 3 would be
1. Addo-Carr, 2. Okunbur / Smith, 5. Naden. Fast fullback and 2 fast big bodies on the wings
The dream would be:

1. Jake Averillo (maybe Nick Meaney short term while Jake finds his feet at FB)
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Nick Cotric
4. Will Hopoate
5. Brett Naden

Then with Burton & Flanagan in the halves. Now THAT'S a backline.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have no one to fill in from lower grades? Schoupp, winter chang our katoa really that bad?

Malla

Reaction score
He looks a lot better than what he really is because he is playing on a well oiled machine. He is not a good player. Same mold as Montoya, Brenko Lee etc. If he goes to Storm, Roosters etc he will kill it, but a club like us would be a waste of money.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Only if he comes on minimum fee and as back-up.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He looks a lot better than what he really is because he is playing on a well oiled machine. He is not a good player. Same mold as Montoya, Brenko Lee etc. If he goes to Storm, Roosters etc he will kill it, but a club like us would be a waste of money.
If he has Burton at 5/8 inside him and Cotric on the wing outside him, with Capewell as wide/2nd row compared to RFM for us, please explain what the difference is to Penrith?

Using your logic every player would be a waste of money.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
If he has Burton at 5/8 inside him and Cotric on the wing outside him, with Capewell as wide/2nd row compared to RFM for us, please explain what the difference is to Penrith?

Go Dogs
Cotric is playing centre for us.

Malla

Reaction score

Go Dogs
The difference is we are shit ***** that couldn't run a bath and Penrith have lost only 1 game all year and are 1 win away from a premiership.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't rate him. Wouldn't bring much.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FFS this alone has made me change my mind on him.
Same. As soon as you see that, along with the brain explosion that nearly cost them the finals game against the Roosters, you know that he's got that stupid in his game that's going to frustrate fans... No Thanks... We just parted ways with Montoya and Holland, can't deal with another scatterbrained player.