Breast cancer faker jailed for 42 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
A cancer faker in the United States has been sentenced to 42 months in prison for faking breast cancer, with a judge telling her it was reprehensible that she took donations of sick leave, money and cancer patient support services for five years.

"It seems like to me some confinement is necessary," Hamilton County Criminal Court Judge Don Poole said on Monday after lawyers for 39-year-old Keele Maynor of Chattanooga asked for a probation sentence that would allow her to work and pay about $US54,000 ($A59,854) in restitution.

Poole added 10 years of probation to the sentence for Maynor, a mother of three, and ordered her taken into custody immediately. She will be eligible for parole after serving one-third of the prison sentence. He ordered her to start making $US300 ($A333) monthly restitution payments after her release.

"I have problems with somebody who shaves their head and says they have cancer," Poole said.

Maynor cried at times while testifying that she is sorry for "hurting so many people". Maynor said she had felt unloved and carried out the terminal cancer scheme to get attention. She described herself as a victim of emotional abuse as a teenager by her mother and sexual abuse by a stepbrother.

Assistant District Attorney Neal Pinkston said the prison time was justified in Maynor's case because she duped co-workers, friends, groups such as Breast Cancer Network of Strength, a church and a football club.

Maynor in 2008 said in an email when she left her job in the city's regional planning department that her claim of having cancer was a "charade". She pleaded guilty to theft and forgery as part of a deal with prosecutors.

The charade included Maynor getting more than $US4,000 ($A4,434) from a silent auction at a benefit that was held on her behalf. Maynor said she spent that money on Christmas presents for her children.

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Scum! Those resources could have been put to people who actually suffer from Breast Cancer.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
****ing *****! hope you rot in hell

42 months isnt enough. Should have been 420 months grrr.

Worst moments of my life when my aunty and grandma passed away from Breast Cancer and this ***** thinks its moral of her to steal much needed funds.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And people oppose capital punishment....

Moodey

Unknown
Reaction score
That is so low, piece of **** scumbag she can go rot in prison for all I care. I've had relatives who have died from cancer and for this lady to take advantage of something like this goes to show how low society can be. Couldn't care about her crocodile tears and also the fact she's been given bail, that's stupid.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
filthy f#cking she-boon, probably bought crack with the money

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
That is such a ****ing scum thing to do. What the **** is wrong with some people, seriously.

MexicanHat

El Buzzo
Reaction score
"Shes sorry for hurting so many people".

Didn't think about that when you were scamming them for moneyz didya? didya didya?

Status
Not open for further replies.