News BREAKING: Aussie cricket great Dean Jones dies, aged 59

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Australia cricket great Dean Jones has reportedly died in Mumbai, aged 59.
It’s understood Jones suffered a heart attack while he was in India to fulfil commentary duties during the Indian Premier League.

“It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr. Dean Mervyn Jones AM,” Star India confirmed in a statement.
“He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements.

“Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with Cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young Cricketers. He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe.”

Sad news

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit. This guy was a legend when I was growing up. Loved watching him belt the ball all over the park.

RIP.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Absolute legend of the game. One of the first people I remember watching play. Played s o me of the greatest test cricket innings you will ever see

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Whilst i havent heard of him, as a cricket nut this is tragic, the article says he is big in India and google shows he was only in the news this morning before the heart Attack. RIP.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolute legend of the game. One of the first people I remember watching play. Played s o me of the greatest test cricket innings you will ever see
The one with Border in India where he threw up from massive dehydration and Border told him that if he was soft, he'd get another qld-er to come in to bat for him. He went on to score 210. He was put on an intravenous drip afterwards.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
2nd favourite player after Boonie...

Used to love how he used to belt the ball like it owed him money.

RIP Deano.

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Am so upset by this. This is such sad news. He was my idol growing up. He was so exciting to watch. Everyone just could not wait to watch him bat.
RIP legend Deano.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A fantastic batsman and outstanding fieldsman in both forms of cricket. Literally changed the way one day cricket was played.. Passionate about the game..A legend.. R.I.P.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A fantastic batsman and outstanding fieldsman in both forms of cricket. Literally changed the way one day cricket was played.. Passionate about the game..A legend.. R.I.P.
He and Boonie signed a call for me many moons ago at one of those sportmans lunches when then new Trumper stand opened (so thats how long ago it was). Still have the ball, but the sigs have faded over time.

RIP Deano. He sometimes came across as a bit of an opinionated wanker in commentary, but i guess he had the runs on the board to be able to!

Although he was probably the first true one day batsman, those of us cricket fans of a certain vintage will surely remember him as that bloke who almost died in Madras on his way to a double century (and it probably wouldn't have happened with any other captain besides Border).

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Great video..thanks for posting CD! Ps..I loved Greg Mathews.. Better batsman than bowler..great fielder off his own bowling. Geeze it was a brilliant era as a kid watching cricket!

pps. I was actually watching his one day 145 innings the other day on fox.. magnificent..

Last edited: