News Brandon Wakeham passes first test as Bulldogs half

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In terms of Baz rigid offensive systems Averillo and Flanno prob execute it more

Wakeham goes rogue (which isn’t always a bad thing) short kicking on tackle 2 for opportunist try…

When he made that break, in those conditions and field position take the tackle son, reset and build pressure

Instead he went for the Hail Mary low percentage play, kick back in field like it was the 79th minute and we needed to score (it was 8/0).

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well Flanno just killed it tonight so yeah baz
It's good to see Flanno let his footy do the talking.

There is such a big chance to play alongside Burton now and because Burton is the main man the job of the 7 is pretty simple and has a lot less pressure than last year.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Its actually pretty sad how bad we are as a club at developing a half. Its almost been over 15 yrs since shifty left. And there hasnt been 1? (besides thurston)

Malla

Reaction score
It's good to see Flanno let his footy do the talking.

There is such a big chance to play alongside Burton now and because Burton is the main man the job of the 7 is pretty simple and has a lot less pressure than last year.
That's all you could want right. Let his footy do the talking and you would hope Baz gives him the chance he deserves if he has gone and worked on specific parts of his game he's been asked to work on.

But yeah he looked really good last night. Really good kicking game and didn't miss a kick for goals.

See what happens I guess.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brandon is a 6, I’m the club’s only 7 and Burton is a centre who can kick a bit. Once Trent gets it right eith tesm sekections, we will unlock our true potential.
i actually agree with this...

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all you could want right. Let his footy do the talking and you would hope Baz gives him the chance he deserves if he has gone and worked on specific parts of his game he's been asked to work on.

But yeah he looked really good last night. Really good kicking game and didn't miss a kick for goals.

See what happens I guess.
surely he has to get a go. i cant believe in 160 minutes of trials he got about 10 - and none with burton for us to see how they would go together. Averillo offered little in both attack and defence, not his fault he was thrust into a position at such a young age with an inexperienced halves partner. Wakeham was pretty good defensively but probably needs more time there, which we dont have. BBO isnt ready to steer a team round, thats abundantly clear. as much as it kills me to say it, Flanno has actually improved out of sight in the lower grades from the games i've seen... give him a crack - good enough to replace Cronk and play next to Keary, surely good enough to steer our team around the park

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tough go for Wakeham against a Storm defence, but if he does well, he’d be close to cementing down the role… at least up until he produces back-to-back below average games

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A few of us mentioned last week that we were worried about Baz's chopping and changing ways two weeks in, not necessarily with the decision itself. It was a huge problem of Baz's last year and I think that's the bigger issue than whether Averillo, Wakeham or anyone else is the best fit. Don't be surprised if Baz drops Wakeham in another week or two and goes back to Averillo..

Whoever he chooses, he needs to get Burton on the ball at first receiver on both sides of the field more. Then it wouldn't be as much of an issue as to who the halfback is.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A few of us mentioned last week that we were worried about Baz's chopping and changing ways two weeks in, not necessarily with the decision itself. It was a huge problem of Baz's last year and I think that's the bigger issue than whether Averillo, Wakeham or anyone else is the best fit. Don't be surprised if Baz drops Wakeham in another week or two and goes back to Averillo..

Whoever he chooses, he needs to get Burton on the ball at first receiver on both sides of the field more. Then it wouldn't be as much of an issue as to who the halfback is.
Jake didn't even play halfback last night lol. These decisions are making less and less sense.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So if we have been training with 2 running 5/8's and based all pre-season on this tactic, ala Sharks etc, then how is any of either Wakeham or Flanno supposed to fit into the team if they are the organising traditional halfback type 7?

BBO could adapt but he isn't ready.

Just more questionable coaching and clear as day potential stuff up to the team cohension, if/when, Avo gets injured or Covid.

Honestly Barrett's coaching is so exposed in deciding on this game plan theory, when we have so few players who can execute it, including JJ.

Either get rid of it or we neccessarily have to wait several more weeks for our players to miraculously adapt and find the skills.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He didn't play HB because Barrett was told by Gus that he aint a HB's asshole

Now that Jake is playing 5/8 in cup, he should actually start to improve and expand his game
And for the millionth time i don't disagree that he isn't a halfback, i disagree with all the management and decisions over the years. I can also accept that roles and combinations take priority over positions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jake didn't even play halfback last night lol. These decisions are making less and less sense.
Yeah I saw that.. And Okunbur in the centres.. It's more of the musical chairs and switching players positions, minutes and roles constantly which we saw last year. It only frustrates and confuses the players while hurting their form, development and confidence and that of the team because there's zero continuity.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And for the millionth time i don't disagree that he isn't a halfback, i disagree with all the management and decisions over the years. I can also accept that roles and combinations take priority over positions.
Yes for some unknown reason our club has this fetish with playing players out of position and it's hard to nail down why they go down these paths