Brandon Wakeham - Bulldogs' Rookie to Watch

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Its not silly... You points very valid though I think your expecting to much from a rookie. I would be expecting something like that from a Lewis or Cogger considering where they are at.
Lol expecting too much? How on God's Earth did you come up with that assumption? All I said was he has the skill set and that i was excited to see him come through but knowing how hype means fukk all (esp after very minimal time in NRL) you have to be wary when predicting the future.

Either way, good luck to the kid.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still don't have confidence that Pay can make the correct team selections in the first instance.. he eventually got it right last year and we started winning. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he has learnt his lesson.
Surely Pays job will be on the line in the first 10-15 rounds. That’s why I think he’ll go with the safe option first with Cogger/Lewis which he feels is the more stable and defensively sound option. Wakeham will need to have a killer trial to get the start imo

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol expecting too much? How on God's Earth did you come up with that assumption? All I said was he has the skill set and that i was excited to see him come through but knowing how hype means fukk all (esp after very minimal time in NRL) you have to be wary when predicting the future.

Either way, good luck to the kid.
I think you forgot about the stuff U said about game management under pressure and how he goes when we are down... All good hopefully he looks it because we definitely need it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It can be a lot of pressure starting the season as a key player. So if Wakeham really impressed through the trials it might still be throwing him in the deep end to have him in the 17 from round 1.

Moses Mbye was regarded as the next big thing too. Not that I'm saying Wakeham will be the same. But only time will show us if he's able to make a long term impact. I don't think rushing players into high pressure situations is always good for them. But he will have his chances to impress. I'm sure of that.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It can be a lot of pressure starting the season as a key player. So if Wakeham really impressed through the trials it might still be throwing him in the deep end to have him in the 17 from round 1.

Moses Mbye was regarded as the next big thing too. Not that I'm saying Wakeham will be the same. But only time will show us if he's able to make a long term impact. I don't think rushing players into high pressure situations is always good for them. But he will have his chances to impress. I'm sure of that.
Agree, and as others have said, the trials are very unlikely to change who Pay currently believes is going to be his 17 in round 1. Wakeham is already in it or not, and probably not. If he is in most likely it is on the bench in the utility/reserve hooker #14 jersey. He probably isn't, but at the same time as you say he will have his chances this season.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Thing is tho he does seem to handle the pressure. Haven't seen him not handle it really. He played for Fiji and handled that pressure. He is far and away better than Cogger already..but we will have to see what Pay decides. Safety first probably and expecting the forwards to do majority of the work.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s played 3 NRL games and will get his chance again this season. He needs to stay injury and niggle free

FatDogSlim

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wakeham is our best attacking half and would most likely need to come in and play sooner rather then latter as lewis can’t attack for shit.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s played 3 NRL games and will get his chance again this season. He needs to stay injury and niggle free
I like his niggle and due to his size he needs to have a bit of that about him. He’s not like Reynolds that would completely lose control he’s just competitive. He has matured a lot over the last few years.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like his niggle and due to his size he needs to have a bit of that about him. He’s not like Reynolds that would completely lose control he’s just competitive. He has matured a lot over the last few years.
I agree mate but meant the niggling injuries he’s had for a few years now

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Straight shootout in the 9s and trials between Wakeham and Cogger to see who starts next to Lewis in R1