News Brandon Smith reveals why he could seek an early release from Melbourne Storm

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is hard to believe that the Storm's plan for 2021 is not for Harry Grant to start at hooker and for Brandon Smith to continue in the same role of utility, back up no. 9 and running forward off the bench... I think talk of the starting hooker position being up for grabs is simply a cover story or just humouring B. Smith

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree no hope of the 9 spot and sharing the role won't happen either Grant is an 80 minute player..and yes the speculation is getting beyond boring.
"latest" story I read stated we haven't made Brandon an offer wtf??
What story was that ? Hopefully and surely bullshit. Plus old mate with the pic with Arthur said he said staggs and b Smith are our targets for 2022 with the $ available.

We clearly need a hooker ffs.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
McInnes is def on the move from the dragons but im not sure to where

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What story was that ? Hopefully and surely bullshit. Plus old mate with the pic with Arthur said he said staggs and b Smith are our targets for 2022 with the $ available.

We clearly need a hooker ffs.
Came up on my google feed on my phone i think it was, there are many similar stories in the last day i cant be sure which one it was.
While i have no doubt we may be wanting him for '22 i got the strong impression there is NO contract offer on the table..or if there was any it has been put on hold..i could be wrong i only read it once but that's what i gleaned from it, so we may be waiting for fucking ever to find out...

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime the storm say they will let someone go early, it always comes down to a player swap. They did it with JAC now again with Brandon.
Because they are the best team and have been for a very long time.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon its all bullshit.
There is 5-6 weeks before the comp starts.
I think Harry, both Smiths and Bellamy know exactly whats going on.
There is a shortage for quality Hookers in the NRL, BS will be fine.
I know there is a top 30 but Storm will look after/facilitate BS moving to another Club.
This is the same regurgitated piece that the Storm have been feeding the media for months.
Storm holding all the power, playing chess to their advantage.
Thats why they have been dominant for so long.
Smarts to play the game within the rules on and off the field.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Brandon Smith seriously thinks he's a chance in hell (and Bellamy lets him believe that) of being starting hooker ahead of Harry Grant in the next 10 years (unless Grant loses a leg) then he's gullible and dumb sorry and if he's that stupid I'm unsure actually if the Dogs should pursue him. The Bulldogs need an intelligent hooker more like Grant who can read and outsmart the opposition defence and follow a game plan. Hooker isn't just about "effort". Bellamy is just leading him on to keep him at the Storm as long as possible so he (Bellamy) looks good right up until the end of his time at the Storm.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday on Triple M when the topic of Smith came up Cueball mentioned the Titans were after him. It was one of the few times we weren't linked to a player which was weird. I'm not 100% sold on B.Smith but I'd rather him than McInness or worse...Turpin

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That story is regurgitated it's from 22 January.
Nothing new has transpired it's anyone's guess if and when we will know..the secret squirrel motherfuckers :laughing:

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That story is regurgitated it's from 22 January.
Nothing new has transpired it's anyone's guess if and when we will know..the secret squirrel motherfuckers :laughing:
All so the other Smith can sell more of his books!!
Effing G-R-U-B!!!!:rage:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So depending on what happens Brandon is either 2nd or 3rd choice hooker at the storm.

I’m not sold on him but he’s still far better than the options we have at the moment.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact we aren’t chasing mcinnis makes me think we have someone lined up

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Gold Coast Titans close to signing Melbourne Storm star Brandon Smith | Daily Telegraph
Travis Meyn
The Gold Coast Titans are in the box seat to sign Kiwi Test star Brandon Smith.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Gold Coast appears Smith’s most likely home from 2022 if the Titans can strike a deal with Melbourne.

Smith, 24, is contracted to the Storm until the end of the 2022 NRL season, but has been granted permission to explore opportunities elsewhere given his desire to be a starting hooker.

Maroons sensation Harry Grant is set to start the season in Melbourne’s No. 9 jersey after returning to the Storm from Wests Tigers.

The Titans have had their eye on Smith for close to a year, long before he hit the open market, and have been working behind the scenes to bring him north.

Gold Coast recruitment chief Ezra Howe is heavily involved in the Kiwis representative program.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Melbourne’s Brandon Smith is one of the NRL’s best hookers. (Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images)

Melbourne’s Brandon Smith is one of the NRL’s best hookers. (Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images)
The Titans hoped to have Smith on board for the 2021 NRL season, but rejected Melbourne’s proposal to trade Queensland Origin stars Tino Fa’asuamaleaui or Moeaki Fotuaika in return.

While he has received strong interest from at least one Sydney club, Smith’s desire is to live on the Gold Coast and he will likely end up at the Titans.

Melbourne is renowned for playing hardball in the release of contracted players, as evidenced by NSW Origin winger Josh Addo-Carr’s failed return to Sydney this year.

The Storm will not let Smith go without compensation which remains the final hurdle in the Gold Coast’s pursuit of “The Block of Cheese”.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has been building a quality squad since taking the reins of the club last year.

The signings of Fa’asuamaleaui and David Fifita were considered huge coups and Smith will be a blue-chip acquisition for 2022, potentially making the Gold Coast a genuine title contender.

The Titans have struggled for a quality, durable and consistent No. 9 over the past few years.

Veteran Mitch Rein will be the Gold Coast’s No. 9 this year. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)

Veteran Mitch Rein will be the Gold Coast’s No. 9 this year. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats has left the club and off-contract Mitch Rein will start at dummy-half this year.

The Titans also have Tanah Boyd and Erin Clark as back-up hookers, but a premiership-winning Test player like Smith will take the team to another level.

Nathan Friend, the Titans’ foundation hooker and arguably the club’s greatest ever No. 9, said Smith would be a huge signing for the Gold Coast.

“I think he is a fantastic player,” he said.

“The last few years people have realised the importance of a hooker that can get through 80 minutes and direct the team around. He could change his body composition a bit to endure 80 minutes and excel.

Foundation Titans hooker Nathan Friend reckons Brandon Smith would be a top signing. (Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images)

Foundation Titans hooker Nathan Friend reckons Brandon Smith would be a top signing. (Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images)
“It’s been evident at the Melbourne Storm how important it is down there. If you can have a decent hooker at any club you will see they go okay.

“Brandon Smith is one of the best utilities you can find. He is a running hooker but there’s no doubt he can direct traffic around him, stick to a plan and take opportunities when they present.

“He has got where he has because of determination and his will to win. He is not the most skilful, but he would be one of the toughest guys you’d see out there. He gives 100 per cent.

“The Titans would be silly not to chase him.”

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Misleading title. They're basically just saying Titans are an option for B. Smith. I wouldn't really call that news when everyone already knows this. You need to give something new at least... ex-player thinks he's a good fit there, not close to signing...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I see them The biggest threat Too.

Fuck hope Jac gets in his ear haha.

If we miss him really it’s
Fucking thin for a position we urgently need upgraded 5 years ago.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Rumour today is Cam Smith to titans for 1 year. Apparently buying/bought a house in the GC.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rumour today is Cam Smith to titans for 1 year. Apparently buying/bought a house in the GC.
He definitely brought a house on the Gold Coast i seen it on a real estate page.

Here is the article.