News Brandon Smith reveals why he could seek an early release from Melbourne Storm

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brandon Smith will leave Melbourne Storm in search of a full-time No.9 spot should he lose out to teammate Harry Grant in the battle to replace Cameron Smith at hooker.
Storm’s representative players are now back training with its skipper still nowhere to be seen and yet to reveal his plans for 2021.

In the off-season, Brandon Smith had a discussion with coach Craig Bellamy about his desire to be a long-term hooker and whether it was a realistic option with Storm.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The Kiwi international is out of contract at the end of 2021 and has been given permission to look for a new club from next year onwards.

An early release may be possible if a player swap lands Storm a suitable replacement.

“I want to play No.9,” Smith said.

“I find myself becoming accustomed to the 13 jersey, which isn’t a bad thing. The versatility is great, but that’s not what I want to play.

“It wasn’t a hard conversation (with Bellamy), I just said how I felt and he respected my decision.

“But at the same time, he’s a coach and his job is to put the best side out that’s going to win a premiership.

“We both didn’t see the point in me getting a release for this year with that spot still up for grabs.

“He said that he’s not just going to give the No.9 jersey to Harry, or he’s not just going to give it to me.

“We both have to go out there and take it. I respected what he had to say.

“One thing you know with Craig is he’s going to be super honest with you, he’s not going to beat around the bush or anything, which I respect about him.”

There is also a weight consideration, with Smith declaring that adjusting his body to play two positions at Storm had taken its toll.

The difference in body weight between hooker and lock forward is about six kilograms.

“I got down to 93kg a couple of seasons ago playing No.13, and it wasn’t great,” he said.

“I felt fast but I felt like I was getting thrown around a bit more than usual.

“I usually play at around 98 or 97kg but if I was to be a No.9, I’m training to lose weight and be about 92.

“That’s a big difference in weight.”

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Everytime the storm say they will let someone go early, it always comes down to a player swap. They did it with JAC now again with Brandon.
Reimis isn't really a swap since JAC was off contract after this year and he isn't coming early. So really the Storm didn't swap anyone for JAC. Reimis should of been swapped for B. Smith.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Storm are like yeah you can leave “but”... with every player who asks for a early release LOLLL from the clubs who have apparently shown interest not one of them could accomodate with a “like for like”
Type players...

Storm running that team like a North Korean regime

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Bellamy might have said the spots up for grabs but realistically Harry is on the rise massively. Storm will do whatever they can to have him as long term 9. The writings on the wall for Brandon. He would be a great character and handy addition for us.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Brandon won't be making a decision on his future at least until after the Storm's round 1 team is named. We need to sort this shit out ASAP if Smith is going elsewhere and we're going to chase Clarke or McInnes. Depending on when Clarke needs to decide or McInnes we should put a timeline on our offer (and hope it's better than the Titans or Broncos). Bellamy is just stringing him along. If he actually believes he has a chance in hell of being selected starting number 9 ahead of Grant he's gullible and stupid sorry. If he was intelligent he would have been asking for a release for 2021.

Last edited:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It sounds very much like Brandon has had enough of Cameron playing silly buggers over his future. I'd like to think we have people in his ear at the moment. 9 is still our most obvious missing piece of the puzzle.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is Andrew McCollough gets released to go to Dragqueens, Cam Smith plays for Broncos & we need to wait another year for Cheese or McInnes.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Storm are like yeah you can leave “but”... with every player who asks for a early release LOLLL from the clubs who have apparently shown interest not one of them could accomodate with a “like for like”
Type players...

Storm running that team like a North Korean regime
true that mate, right bunch of stnuc they are...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My guess is Andrew McCollough gets released to go to Dragqueens, Cam Smith plays for Broncos & we need to wait another year for Cheese or McInnes.
or Turpin who'd be quite pissed if Cam Smith (or B. Smith) was to go to the Broncos. Turpin's starting over McCullough anyways. That's why he was loaned to the Knights/shopped around last year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brandon need to know if he’s putting weight on or taking weight off...it’s almost Feb....Every league fan in the world plus casuals can tell you Grant has a mortgage on the 9 spot.

Cut your losses my bro and join the Dogs immediately

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Question for all;

We have one spot left in our top 30

Who is your preference for 2021...Burton or B Smith?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
B Smith. Purely because if we can get land him knowing burton is coming great.

If we miss him we are ficked in hooker I think.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This speculation is getting boring... just make up your mind and seek a release ffs...

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for all;

We have one spot left in our top 30

Who is your preference for 2021...Burton or B Smith?
Smith, 100% as we know worst case scenario we have Burton in 22!!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree no hope of the 9 spot and sharing the role won't happen either Grant is an 80 minute player..and yes the speculation is getting beyond boring.
"latest" story I read stated we haven't made Brandon an offer wtf??