Brandon Smith or bust

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching last night's game I think it proves more than ever we're f..ked unless we can get him. I had high hopes for Deitz and he still might work out but in a game like last night when we're getting monstered Brandon Smith would make a real difference with his energy alone.

Broncos, Titans and Tigers are interested. Sounds like he might be happy to remain at the Storm now also even if not playing hooker.

I'm thinking again now we really need to make him an offer he can't refuse. I'd go $900K to a MIL IF we had to outbid someone else. It's such an important role. We have f..k all superstars even in our spine. Can we buy a couple at least ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brandon Smith wouldn’t have magical stopped our players dropping balls and our forwards getting monstered.....
His strong quick runs would get us going forward and get us a more even share of 6 agains - momentum. We were on the backfoot in defence largely because of our poor attack.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
or Turpin, or bust.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His strong quick runs would get us going forward and get us a more even share of 6 agains - momentum. We were on the backfoot in defence largely because of our poor attack.
I don’t think he would have made one bit of difference.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
canterbury missed that boat, time to act was when broncos wouldnt let macca to dragons, no interest was shown in turpin
We also missed out when Turpin was behind McCullough a year or 2 ago. We have to get one of them two (or someone else around the same quality that isn't an option currently) or it isn't good enough tbh.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We also missed out when Turpin was behind McCullough a year or 2 ago. We have to get one of them two (or someone else around the same quality that isn't an option currently) or it isn't good enough tbh.
turpin was being shown around the dogs a couple of seasons ago, met with officials club offered peanuts contract just above the minimum and said he was behind jmk in starting order

couldnt understand why no interest was shown by the club a couple of months back, hooker is our major weakness

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
$900K-$1mil is a lot of money for Brandon Smith... too much in fact IMO

the Storm will also want a player from us in order to release Smith early
Well maybe if we didn't give out players for free we'd have someone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
turpin was being shown around the dogs a couple of seasons ago, met with officials club offered peanuts contract just above the minimum and said he was behind jmk in starting order

couldnt understand why no interest was shown by the club a couple of months back, hooker is our major weakness
Disgusting and you could probably say the same with Grant and Koroisau with not offering them enough. We've had so many opportunities.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don’t trust the Melbourne Storm, … Brandon Smith release for ’22 is only conditional, not dissimilar to JAC … how did that play out?
…. they unsettled clubs + players and landed 2 cheap signings Smith & Jennings and still managed to keep JAC for 2021.

If Craig Bellamy stays on for another year do you honestly believe he will release B. Smith to another club? …I don’t think so.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well maybe if we didn't give out players for free we'd have someone.
true... but I think the club is going to have to broaden their recruitment of a hooker beyond chasing Brandon Smith and see whether they can prize away an under contract hooker with serious competition at their current club like Robson and Cotter at the Cowboys, Hodgson and Starling at the Raiders, Brailey and McInnes at the Sharks etc.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
true... but I think the club is going to have to broaden their recruitment of a hooker beyond chasing Brandon Smith and see whether they can prize away an under contract hooker with serious competition at their current club like Robson and Cotter at the Cowboys, Hodgson and Starling at the Raiders, Brailey and McInnes at the Sharks etc.
Starling was off contract for 2021 or 2022 (can't remember exactly) and we gave them CHN for free. Starling doesn't even make the Raiders 17 and re-signed with them... ?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starling was off contract for 2021 or 2022 (can't remember exactly) and we gave them CHN for free. Starling doesn't even make the Raiders 17 and re-signed with them... ?
I know... I figured it more likely with someone like Brailey at the Sharks with McInnes coming in and Flanagan already with us, or selling the idea to the Cowboys to bank on the QLD talent in Cotter and trying to lure Robson back to NSW

I still think our prop rotation is the biggest issue and have no idea who the club can recruit or promote

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We're up shite creek without a hooker!

OR

Maybe we put it up shite creek in a hooker???

Reactions: obe

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLLLLL Brandon Smith was woeful in what was a dominant Melbourne team. I've said it before and ill say it again, he doesnt have the fitness to play an entire game. He has a non-existent kicking game and his passing was like a 3-year-old kid lobbing a football to someone. He is a backrower with ambitions of playing 9. Soon as Harry Grant is back Brandon Smith won't see the hooking role.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
LOLLLLL Brandon Smith was woeful in what was a dominant Melbourne team. I've said it before and ill say it again, he doesnt have the fitness to play an entire game. He has a non-existent kicking game and his passing was like a 3-year-old kid lobbing a football to someone. He is a backrower with ambitions of playing 9. Soon as Harry Grant is back Brandon Smith won't see the hooking role.
The only thing correct there is your last sentence and it's because Grant is the better hooker and can't play anywhere else whereas Brandon is more versatile. There are only a handful of hookers better than Brandon, who will only get better with regular game time there.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
surprisingly, I heard an interview with him where Smith mentioned that he prefers to be heavier when he plays at hooker as compared to when he plays in the back row