Brandon Smith/Harry Grant

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A couple of months ago i made a suggestion about Kyle Flanagan from the Sharks.

He was promoted into the starting side when Shaun Johnson copped his injury.

The kid stood out in his first few games, and i made a suggestion we should be having a dig at this kid, as he would be put back to reserves once Shaun Johnson came back from injury.

Considering the term of Johnson and Townsends deal, there is no way he would of waited for a minimum of 2 years after getting a sniff of first grade.

I was told that Cronulla were going to get rid of Townsend and that Flanagan would take over, Flanagan wont be leaving the Sharks, he will wait it out in reserve grade, and so on. HELLO SYDNEY ROOSTERS!!!!!

I put another statement forward - Brandon Smith and Harry Grant.

Harry Grant has just been promoted to the Storms top 30. Both Smith and Grant are fantastic hookers. Smith is probably more versatile and has terrior written all over him.

Cameron Smith is at the Storm for another year, which leaves both Brandon Smith and Harry Grant behind.

Storm have big wraps on Grant and see him as Cameron Smiths 1st place replacement.

We should be all over the both of these players like flies on a turd.

I understand everyone has there panties tangled around Mitchell and the Turbo brothers, but when you look at all the situations, one of these storm duos must be the prime targets, as it is realistic and more likely to happen than the others.

Cowboys pounced on Scott Drinkwater as he was behind Papenhuzen and Hughes. Smart targeting and recruiting by the Cowboys

Go Dogs

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Makes no sense at all.

Better off throwing $1m+ a year over 10 years on a centre!

Who needs a hooker these days?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You only get in demand players 3 ways:
1. Being a strong successful club with players these players want to stand alongside and play with.
2. Being a powerhouse club, cashed up enough that salary caps don't matter and you offer the player way beyond their worth.
3. Being a club who has a successful coach that players want to develop their own talents under.

We are 0 from 3 so have no chance.

By failing to act on TweedleDumbarse, our board are pushing players away rather than attracting them to the club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You only get in demand players 3 ways:
1. Being a strong successful club with players these players want to stand alongside and play with.
2. Being a powerhouse club, cashed up enough that salary caps don't matter and you offer the player way beyond their worth.
3. Being a club who has a successful coach that players want to develop their own talents under.

We are 0 from 3 so have no chance.

By failing to act on TweedleDumbarse, our board are pushing players away rather than attracting them to the club.
1 from 3. We have the most salary cap space out of any club, the 'war chest', going into 2021 and we'll overpay on 1-2 marquee signings. There is no loyalty in the game anymore, I'm confident in saying 99% of players will come for the money, but yes, we have to overpay. If we offer Tom 1.4m the Sea Eagles would have to up his current deal, 900k, to around 1.2m to keep him IMO. It's very simple and we can do this for any player in the game coming off contract. Also do you really think going into 2021 Pay will be our coach? All signs pointing to no.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brandon Smith is my new favorite player. Pound for pound the hardest player in the NRL imo.

Do Gogs
I agree, he is an incredible player, you only have to watch his recent game V Tonga to understand his value. Very determined, aggressive runner of the ball and smart. He is literally built like a bulldog.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree. If we have a brain in our head Brandon Smith is our top 2 target with a game breaking back. Tommy turbo/latrell I don’t care. Though to me Brandon and one of them is a must if this board is serious. With the money we have it’s not hard to make it happen give them starting spots at 1,9 and 5 year deals with big bucks. B Smith surely would jump at 4-5 year deal, starting 9 and 500-600k a year.

I’d also throw some good $ at a big body hard nose high workrate prop. Maybe that uk prop or welsh even.

Hopefully offload Tilman, hoppa etc sooner than later too.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
which Manu ?

If i was going for players brandon smith and the Trbojevic twins would be who i would want.
Joey Manu.

If we wanted a decent squad we couldnt afford someone of B Smith, Turbo and a gun Centre with another 1 mil Forward (Jake T). Just my Opinion. Of course id take Jake also but we could get Smith and Joey Manu for his price, then Turbo on top.

We would need to get lucky and offload Foran (which I think is playing a hell of alot better) and get Jake with his coin, but we just cant seem to get these deals.

Id be interested in seeing what Dylan Brown would be asking also just quietly.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't see them releasing Brandon Smith as he's their long term hooker. I think Grant could be available though and the club should be trying to sign him.

It's ridiculous and embarrassing that we're over halfway through another season and we still have Lichaa and JMK running the show with no other hooker lined up.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Success brings players and players bring success...

Along with a good coach and staff all Around him..this Part needs to be fixed and sorted before anymore player talk.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think turbos are completely out of the question. Our club with the new way we manage cap versus.
Des hasler the master of back ended contracts lol. I cant see us out bidding desies scams.
He will just pay them in 2027. Simple.

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Brandon Smith no chance. Dont know how Harry Grant is going but he should be more viable target.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think turbos are completely out of the question. Our club with the new way we manage cap versus.
Des hasler the master of back ended contracts lol. I cant see us out bidding desies scams.
He will just pay them in 2027. Simple.
Back ended contracts are no longer signed off by the NRL.

Go Dogs

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1 from 3. We have the most salary cap space out of any club, the 'war chest', going into 2021 and we'll overpay on 1-2 marquee signings. There is no loyalty in the game anymore, I'm confident in saying 99% of players will come for the money, but yes, we have to overpay. If we offer Tom 1.4m the Sea Eagles would have to up his current deal, 900k, to around 1.2m to keep him IMO. It's very simple and we can do this for any player in the game coming off contract. Also do you really think going into 2021 Pay will be our coach? All signs pointing to no.
it wouldnt matter if we had 20 million salary cap, our board our coach is the reason why we cannot attract good players to the club, name who and where these good players are that are wanting to sign on to be coached by pay
our coach our board are on the nose with players and their managers

if dean pay was winx trainer it still be trying to win a maiden race at cowra

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
it wouldnt matter if we had 20 million salary cap, our board our coach is the reason why we cannot attract good players to the club, name who and where these good players are that are wanting to sign on to be coached by pay
our coach our board are on the nose with players and their managers
Let me see, do I trust your opinion or DWZ's and Stimson's .................. let me think for minute ................. nah, I'll go with their opinion, but thanks for posting.

Go Dogs