Rumour Brandon smith done deal

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Your not dreaming! You are being a confrontational, argumentative boof head... I'm not wasting my time engaging with you! I've read enough of your posts, I seriously think you are delusional and there is something wrong with you mentally... all the years and posts I've read on this forum over the years, you sir take the cake! I've wanted to head butt the wall after reading most of your post and wondered what goes through your head...
Buddy, judging from your posts, you should be more worried about seeking help with anger management than fretting over what a stranger says on an open internet forum. Take a chill pill.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, thanks for your concern, COVENS, but i don't need to look it up. I'm aware of what objectivity is....and I don't believe you can draw objective truth from what one player does during one golden season while playing for a club that is known for setting the standard and a coach who is known for making average players look like superstars. To be fair, I think Smith is better than average.....but I don't think for a minute he is a 1 million a season marquee player who can turn a club around and win it premierships. His ability to do that just can't be assessed until/ unless he plays in an environment where automatic success is not a given.
Is there an element of the chicken or the egg with your argument?

Smith, playing his first season as a full-time, starting dummy half: is clearly HOTY, is the best statistical hooker this year and his team were historically good.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Is there an element of the chicken or the egg with your argument?

Smith, playing his first season as a full-time, starting dummy half: is clearly HOTY, is the best statistical hooker this year and his team were historically good.
I don't think it's a chicken and the egg argument.....Melbourne have been getting the absolute best out of players since long before Smith was on the scene. He's obviously very good, but I haven't seen enough to convince me he is elite and his abilities to lift a struggling side out of the doldrums are completely unproven at this stage. I'll just come out and say it - I very much doubt he'd be HOTY if he wasn't playing for Melbourne. He's not a Tommy Turbo or even 2021 Ben Barba type player who can elevate a struggling team (in my opinion, or course). I think signing him on massive money is just too big a risk. As Gus has said, player development should be our main focus. I don't think we are, or should be in the market for an 800k plus player. Honestly, I think talk of him coming is fantasy anyway.....but if he does come and proves to be the superstar a lot of people seem to think he would be, I'll admit I was wrong.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it's a chicken and the egg argument.....Melbourne have been getting the absolute best out of players since long before Smith was on the scene. He's obviously very good, but I haven't seen enough to convince me he is elite and his abilities to lift a struggling side out of the doldrums are completely unproven at this stage. I'll just come out and say it - I very much doubt he'd be HOTY if he wasn't playing for Melbourne. He's not a Tommy Turbo or even 2021 Ben Barba type player who can elevate a struggling team (in my opinion, or course). I think signing him on massive money is just too big a risk. As Gus has said, player development should be our main focus. I don't think we are, or should be in the market for an 800k plus player. Honestly, I think talk of him coming is fantasy anyway.....but if he does come and proves to be the superstar a lot of people seem to think he would be, I'll admit I was wrong.
No single player can lift a team out of the doldrums, Trbo still has the current QLD halfback as a running mate, let alone some useful role players in the current NSW front rower, former NZ five eighth and prop etc.

Player development is super important, but winning games has to be a part of that process. Hard to improve when you're getting thumped every week. I think Burton and Smith could definitely be a successful duo in the two marquee player spots, then hopefully guys like BBO and Averillo develop into effective first graders.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No single player can lift a team out of the doldrums, Trbo still has the current QLD halfback as a running mate, let alone some useful role players in the current NSW front rower, former NZ five eighth and prop etc.

Player development is super important, but winning games has to be a part of that process. Hard to improve when you're getting thumped every week. I think Burton and Smith could definitely be a successful duo in the two marquee player spots, then hopefully guys like BBO and Averillo develop into effective first graders.
You honestly think Manly would be a top four side without Turbo? Turbo is the class of player who can elevate a below average side into a contender. I don't think Brandon Smith is that type of player. I think throwing anything close to a million a season at him would just cripple our cap again. I honestly don't think Gus would even look at him unless he was willing to come for the 600-650 mark. I think we just need to be patient.....sign either experienced players who won't charge a mint, or youngsters with a lot of talent aka Burton. I would see signing Smith on 800k plus as a panic buy, tbh. Just don't think he is what we need at the price he would be asking for. I think 600-650 is his worth....I wouldn't revolt if we went up to 700 or 750, but that would be my absolute ceiling and personally, I think it's a little too much.

Anyway, to each their own, COVENS. If he comes here for 800k plus a season and plays like a player who is worth it, feel free to serve me humble pie.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You honestly think Manly would be a top four side without Turbo? Turbo is the class of player who can elevate a below average side into a contender. I don't think Brandon Smith is that type of player. I think throwing anything close to a million a season at him would just cripple our cap again. I honestly don't think Gus would even look at him unless he was willing to come for the 600-650 mark. I think we just need to be patient.....sign either experienced players who won't charge a mint, or youngsters with a lot of talent aka Burton. I would see signing Smith on 800k plus as a panic buy, tbh. Just don't think he is what we need at the price he would be asking for. I think 600-650 is his worth....I wouldn't revolt if we went up to 700 or 750, but that would be my absolute ceiling and personally, I think it's a little too much.

Anyway, to each their own, COVENS. If he comes here for 800k plus a season and plays like a player who is worth it, feel free to serve me humble pie.
No I don't, do you think Turbo would have made us a Top 4 side this year?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No, but I think he could do it next year with the extra cattle we are bringing in. And we certainly wouldn't be "winning" the spoon.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We would of beat Manly the other week if we had Trbo instead of them so probably. Trbo against every team besides Storm, Panther and Rabbit (and that depends) is almost a 30 point swing (attack, defence, impact on teammates perfomances, etc.) Smith is a level or two below (still insane) but if Trbo was on the open market and a club went all in for him it'd take upwards of 1.5m to have a chance of luring him...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Didn’t mick Ennis say Tommy’s worth 2mil a season at this stage of his career?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Small sample size but Smith has looked good out of the Melbourne system too. He destroyed the Tongan forward pack and carved Aussie up too.

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
Buddy, judging from your posts, you should be more worried about seeking help with anger management than fretting over what a stranger says on an open internet forum. Take a chill pill.
I'm more concerned with what pills your taking champ or should l say not taking! You should listen to your doctor, he is a health professional after all...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with what pills your taking champ or should l say not taking! You should listen to your doctor, he is a health professional after all...
I am a doctor. And I think you need a prescription for some fun!

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
I am a doctor. And I think you need a prescription for some fun!
Haha you seem to be a coach, a player manager, an ex player, a fortune teller, now a doctor! I think you just think your a know it all! Well if you are a doctor then I suggest prescribe yourself something different or something stronger champ because what ever your on just isn't cutting it! Happy for you to write me a few prescriptions though : )

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bulldogs would have had the perfect opportunity if this was the case to do a swap with Adam Elliot for Smith. I think it’s all PR bull shit from the Storm or the Bulldogs would have done it already. We allowed Reimis Smith to leave early for no return and just “mutually” parted with Elliot. The swap bull shit the Storm keep referring to is just rubbish.
Do you really think Bellamy would want Elliot? It’s wishful thinking, but surely Bellamy knows better than that

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Haha you seem to be a coach, a player manager, an ex player, a fortune teller, now a doctor! I think you just think your a know it all! Well if you are a doctor then I suggest prescribe yourself something different or something stronger champ because what ever your on just isn't cutting it! Happy for you to write me a few prescriptions though : )
I never said I was any of those things apart from the last one.

And are you honestly telling a doctor what to prescribe himself? Who is the know it all now?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do you really think Bellamy would want Elliot? It’s wishful thinking, but surely Bellamy knows better than that
If Elliott was willing to accept close to minimum wage I think almost any club needing a second rower would go for him.