Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

Malla

Reaction score
So I heard from a few people close to the situation that he's being let go mainly for disciplinary reasons. His antics after the grand final in his drinking sessions apparently did not impress too many people at the club and the fact the team had Grant prob makes it easier letting him go.

TBH I am not a massive fan on him. Seems to be a loose cannon. Easy for him to perform in that Storm system, but put him with us not sure how good he will go - not sure his price tag will be worth it.

Last edited:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he will go to the tigers. Especially madge being the NZ coach will help and with Reynolds leaving for bull freeing up 500k makes sense.
No one good wants to go to the tigers. All they get is rejects that no one else wants.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So I heard from a few people close to the situation that he's being let go mainly for disciplinary reasons. His antics after the grand final in his drinking sessions apparently did not impress too many people at the club and the fact the team had Grant prob makes it easier letting him go.

TBH I am not a massive fan on him. Seems to be a loose cannon. Easy for him to perform in that Storm system, but put him with us not sure how good he will go.
Yeah sounds pretty accurate, I like him as a player, but comes with some issues.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one good wants to go to the tigers. All they get is rejects that no one else wants.
Idk about that,also not claiming it but got a mate who is a tigers mad men and he does seem to have some close people within the walls of the tigs and he has been shouting it from the rooftops to me since Harry Grant went back to the storm, he said that the tigers will be getting b smith in return. He could be pissing in my pocket but idk he seems real confident.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol these speculation signings are doing my head in. It all sounds like a title for a Dr. Seuss book...

The Fox jumped over The Cheese.
Or a late night at the Food Van - I think most of us would have a ... "CHEESE DOG"

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also what made me believe it more was the same day it was reported about B smith given the chance to test the market by the store was the same day the tigs announced they got Reynolds’s of there books and freed up $500k

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is a 10x bigger priority than Addo-Carr.... not taking anything away from him but it is a lot easier to find a JAC in the juniors than a Test Hooker.

2022 is seriously exciting me.

1 Avo
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Schoupp
5 DWZ
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
9 Smith

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love this bloke as a player, but I don't know if he is the type of hooker to spark an attack. Not sure tbh.

Who knows what he could be as a fulltime hooker, he looked pretty good against the Tongans and Aussies but so did Katoa against the Aussies.

I'd say for a good price he's worth it.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Idk about that,also not claiming it but got a mate who is a tigers mad men and he does seem to have some close people within the walls of the tigs and he has been shouting it from the rooftops to me since Harry Grant went back to the storm, he said that the tigers will be getting b smith in return. He could be pissing in my pocket but idk he seems real confident.
Just my opinion, but it doesn't look like Madge is a coach that people want to play for.

Aloia, leaving.
Matterson left.
JAC changed his mind.
Grub didn't sound to complementary about him.

Seems like he's stuck in his ways and can't changes. He lost the dressing room at Souths and got punted, and looks like the same at the Tigers.

If Brandon Smith goes there, he's committing career suicide lol. Not saying we're any better, but at least it looks like we're on the way up. The Tigers picking up anyone old rag tag player without a plan. Joey Lielua, Roberts after being in a clinic, looking at Widdop LOL. They're terrible.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DOOR SHUT ON BULLDOGS RECRUITMENT
Andrew Johns gave the Bulldogs some free advice a while back: sign Warrington Wolves hooker Daryl Clark to solve your dummy-half woes.

An England international and talented ball worker from dummy-half, Clark would be ideal for the Dogs, who have had problems in the No.9 jumper in recent years.

But I've contacted Warrington and they have no intention of releasing Clark, one of the best players on their roster.

The Bulldogs have bought plenty of talent for next season but without a quality hooker, Trent Barrett's squad will struggle.

Even more reason to go in harder now for Brandon Smith.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

TBH I am not a massive fan on him. Seems to be a loose cannon. Easy for him to perform in that Storm system, but put him with us not sure how good he will go - not sure his price tag will be worth it.
I'd think he be good for any team to get through the season. You always need characters around a club who make everything a little bit lighter when your training.

Bring on the cheese, and JAC if possible. And somehow get them both here for next season. Napa is exactly what Melbourne like in a forward, big and powerful. But we were never able to get him to do what he did at the Roosters. A change of scenery would be good for both parties, and I'm sure the Dogs would pay the difference given it's only 1 more season, between both contracts.

So all I want for xmas is cheese and JAC. Even if they don't start training with our guys till Jan. I'd like to hear something official. Oh I should add make Burton come as well. That would really stuff my stocking.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it doesn't look like Madge is a coach that people want to play for.

Aloia, leaving.
Matterson left.
JAC changed his mind.
Grub didn't sound to complementary about him.

Seems like he's stuck in his ways and can't changes. He lost the dressing room at Souths and got punted, and looks like the same at the Tigers.

If Brandon Smith goes there, he's committing career suicide lol. Not saying we're any better, but at least it looks like we're on the way up. The Tigers picking up anyone old rag tag player without a plan. Joey Lielua, Roberts after being in a clinic, looking at Widdop LOL. They're terrible.
Madge is like Steven Folkes, trains the players hard. But I think he must go over the top further than Folkes ever did. That said players were happy to move on from Folkes (Geez nearly all of them ran to the roosters

I love this bloke as a player, but I don't know if he is the type of hooker to spark an attack. Not sure tbh.

Who knows what he could be as a fulltime hooker, he looked pretty good against the Tongans and Aussies but so did Katoa against the Aussies.

I'd say for a good price he's worth it.
Given he has been training behind Smith for so long, you'd hope he has learnt a few things, and he has a different style more like Adam Perry/Ennis. It's not like Smith takes the line on, it's the little details that Smith focus's on, like holding the ball up for a touch before passing it so the defence has to commit to what they are doing. If the cheese can do what Smith does at 75% capability, we are going to end up winners. And you can always keep on JKM for a change up on the field at the end of halves if you need to speed up the game.

Malla

Reaction score
I'd think he be good for any team to get through the season. You always need characters around a club who make everything a little bit lighter when your training.

Bring on the cheese, and JAC if possible. And somehow get them both here for next season. Napa is exactly what Melbourne like in a forward, big and powerful. But we were never able to get him to do what he did at the Roosters. A change of scenery would be good for both parties, and I'm sure the Dogs would pay the difference given it's only 1 more season, between both contracts.

So all I want for xmas is cheese and JAC. Even if they don't start training with our guys till Jan. I'd like to hear something official. Oh I should add make Burton come as well. That would really stuff my stocking.
On the fence with it hey... I dont think we are in a position like Melbourne to be a bit light hearted at training yet...

Just all dependent on his price tag, but looks like he will be snapped by by Titans and look for Warriors to also chime in.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
On the fence with it hey... I dont think we are in a position like Melbourne to be a bit light hearted at training yet...

Just all dependent on his price tag, but looks like he will be snapped by by Titans and look for Warriors to also chime in.
Titans are getting Cam Smith for one season if he decides he wants to play on for one more season. Thus why the Titans weren't included in the email asking for clubs who are keen. Warriors will pay overs, and that really comes down to what the Warriors can promise they are doing with the club. Bulldogs look like they are on the up, and the Warriors, well I'm not sure they are.

And as for the light hearted part. Training for a premiership is a long road. You need characters around the club, some who like a joke, others who are deadly serious about what they do. That balance is no different to the sort of players you need in a team on field. But what the light hearted bloke will do is after a hard session, is crack a few jokes, and make everything feel it was worth it.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans are getting Cam Smith for one season if he decides he wants to play on for one more season. Thus why the Titans weren't included in the email asking for clubs who are keen. Warriors will pay overs, and that really comes down to what the Warriors can promise they are doing with the club. Bulldogs look like they are on the up, and the Warriors, well I'm not sure they are.

And as for the light hearted part. Training for a premiership is a long road. You need characters around the club, some who like a joke, others who are deadly serious about what they do. That balance is no different to the sort of players you need in a team on field. But what the light hearted bloke will do is after a hard session, is crack a few jokes, and make everything feel it was worth it.
Would put Warriors ahead of us if Smith lands there.

Malla

Reaction score

I just dont agree with that. I think Smith is a bit of a piss head that we don't need in the team at the moment. Storm system is different - you play in a team that literally spoon feeds you keeps it simple for ya, plus you are playing behind the greatest player ever. It's not gonna be that easy for him at the dogs where he can get on the piss for 7 days (prob take some acid and MDMA too) and fly under the radar. You know more than anyone that shit would not fly as a doggies player. The media would be alllllll over it... the way he was celebrated by most media outlets for going on a bender after the GF would definitely NOT be the narrative as a doggies player.

If he can clean that up, then sure why not. But I don't think he ever will and for that he is not what we need. He is too immature. Good footy player, but too immature as a person.

Reactions: obe

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I just dont agree with that. I think Smith is a bit of a piss head that we don't need in the team at the moment. Storm system is different - you play in a team that literally spoon feeds you keeps it simple for ya, plus you are playing behind the greatest player ever. It's not gonna be that easy for him at the dogs where he can get on the piss for 7 days (prob take some acid and MDMA too) and fly under the radar. You know more than anyone that shit would not fly as a doggies player. The media would be alllllll over it... the way he was celebrated by most media outlets for going on a bender after the GF would definitely NOT be the narrative as a doggies player.

If he can clean that up, then sure why not. But I don't think he ever will and for that he is not what we need. He is too immature. Good footy player, but too immature as a person.
Do you seriously think he was doing that in Melb? Where nobody knows who you are, so you get away with it? No you just don't. He is just letting his hair down at the end of the season. No one he plays as well as he does if he was doing anything like that. The game is just too professional these days, and clubs do there due diligence on players, so they know what they will be getting. Brandon would have a lot of people from the Cowboys and Storm be able to tell you what he is like on and off the field. At 24 he is getting to that age where he knows he needs to put his head down to really ensure that contract in 2 years time when he is at the peak of his powers, will be paying a huge amount. He has shown at the Storm he is prepared to play any role to get on the field, and that says a lot about what he is like.

Really it sounds like if you were getting that cash, that's what you would be doing.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not with that coach of theirs's it wouldn't.
Better back line (RTS, Hiku, Maumalo and Aitkens), Better forward pack (Lodge?, AFB, Eliesa Kotoa), halves arent great for either side at this stage. Not to mention, theyve picked up MARCELO MONTOYA