Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fairly ordinary journalism but a good story unfolding plenty more speculation as usual... is it a bit weird Melbourne are willing to take a prop? They have Jesse Bromwich Nelson , Tuicamica, Welsch and there were a few young guys coming through as well that look like decent middle forwards...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith is one of my favourite players but his injury history worries me a bit.. He seems to suffer a lot of facial fractures and miss a decent chunk of games with other injuries.. But he's a gun player, is as tough as they come and would make any team better.

The problem is, half a dozen others clubs will make a big play for him (namely the Titans and Warriors) and he could get offered stupid money by someone..

If he does sign elsewhere on a huge deal, I'd be happy if we signed one of McInness, Clark or Brailey for 2022 instead..
I wouldn’t worry about his facial injuries. Not the sort of injuries that takes its toll on a player from a on field perspective.
Leg and back injuries are the worries because it slows players down in speed and agility. Face just turn him off the girls in the clubs

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think time will show he isn’t as fantastic as he is made out to be. I don’t see him as an 80 minute player, being used off the bench is probably his strength.

I get things are desperate when you have players like JMK and Katoa in your team but I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Just my opinion though.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t have a current rep prop other than Thompson and I can’t see that happening hopefully we can get it done but I’m not overly confident

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Well it’s simple.
What club is in dire need of a hooker in 2022?

who rakes for the warriors nowadays?

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Fairly ordinary journalism but a good story unfolding plenty more speculation as usual... is it a bit weird Melbourne are willing to take a prop? They have Jesse Bromwich Nelson , Tuicamica, Welsch and there were a few young guys coming through as well that look like decent middle forwards...
Fuck take Stimson and Britt back

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a bad pickup but also says that he has decided on a Sydney club could just be that they have exhausted their cash on tino and Fifita but maybe
I see that as more a clue they have Cam Smith if we are going to read into that.

but truth be told I think you’re more on the money that they are tapped out. They have spent up big and I strongly doubt Shannon boyd retired without a deal in place after saying weeks earlier he would be willing to retire but won’t if he can’t get his money from his 600 a year contract that had 2/3 years left to run and also the Islander guy who was on big money that went to England. Doubt he went cheap.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about his facial injuries. Not the sort of injuries that takes its toll on a player from a on field perspective.
Leg and back injuries are the worries because it slows players down in speed and agility. Face just turn him off the girls in the clubs
Of course leg injuries are more worrying long term, but being susceptible to fractured eye sockets, broken jaws etc is no joke. Smith had two or three broken bones in his face just last year which indicates it's maybe more than just a fluke or bad luck. Hopefully for his sake he can avoid those injuries for a while.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon Smith lacks the creativity that we need. No doubt he's s a very tough and competitive player with strong dummy half darts.....but No kicking game and his service isn't that great. I think playing for a successful team like the Storm overshadows some of his deficiencies.
Bellamy preferring a rookie like Grant over Smith who's been the heir to Melbournes number 9 postion for a while says that he doesn't rate him.
Lol..the kennel shooting off to buy anyone.
I reckon he’s really good but not the hooker I’d be going after. And you’re right, players from the storm automatically look like superstars because of the system they are playing in. We got a lot of desperate supporters.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course leg injuries are more worrying long term, but being susceptible to fractured eye sockets, broken jaws etc is no joke. Smith had two or three broken bones in his face just last year which indicates it's not just a fluke or bad luck.
Maybe or maybe it’s the same week spot that was t healed properly?

I don’t think he is some great pickup like people are making out though.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not in position to offer napa for a swap in 2022. Hes not contracted to us then.
This is exactly what I thought, the only hope being that Napa gets swapped with Cheese for 2021.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe or maybe it’s the same week spot that was t healed properly?

I don’t think he is some great pickup like people are making out though.
I'd say that's part of the problem. He's so tough and eager to get back out there that he rushes back before it's healed properly. His toughness is one of his biggest strengths but it can also be a curse when you don't let your injuries heal enough.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that as more a clue they have Cam Smith if we are going to read into that.

but truth be told I think you’re more on the money that they are tapped out. They have spent up big and I strongly doubt Shannon boyd retired without a deal in place after saying weeks earlier he would be willing to retire but won’t if he can’t get his money from his 600 a year contract that had 2/3 years left to run and also the Islander guy who was on big money that went to England. Doubt he went cheap.
Think you mean leilani latu? They also have spent big on Taylor, peachey, proctor and will have to reup guys like Brimson and Sami soon

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
B. Smith can kick 40/20's and I'm pretty confident he has a short kicking game, e.g. grubbers. What more do you want? People want McInnes, but he's much more of a lock than B. Smith and he actually doesn't have a kicking game. B. Smith is an attacking hooker, just unorthodox.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s the games worst kept secret. He’ll be a Bulldog in 2022 and you can take that to the bank. He’s been to the club and is the perfect fit for us as we desperately need a quality hooker and one player who is a throwback to our glory days. Will be a serious premiership contender in 2022/23. Next year is a major step forward and I’ll be happy if we can make the 8 and ecstatic if we push for a top 4 spot but feel that’s a very big ask considering how many new players we’ll have onboard next season. Napa is in the final year of his contract next year and to be honest should never have been signed but can’t blame the current regime as he and Foran were purchased by the previous board. I just hope we retain JMK as he’s been very good for us and can play many positions not just hooker. He’s a great utility for any club.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol..the kennel shooting off to buy anyone.
I reckon he’s really good but not the hooker I’d be going after. And you’re right, players from the storm automatically look like superstars because of the system they are playing in. We got a lot of desperate supporters.
Who would you be going for then genius?