Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s the secret email sent to 14 clubs on Monday revealing NRL grand final star Brandon Smith will be granted a shock early release from Melbourne Storm.

The Daily Telegraph secured a copy of the letter which details Melbourne’s decision to allow their champion hooker to leave after next season provided the club secures “commensurate compensation” in return.

The return of Wests Tigers hooker Harry Grant has prompted Smith to look for another club with his manager, Stan Martin, saying in the email his client wants to “play exclusively at hooker”.

Smith, 24, will remain at Melbourne next season before seeking a release from the final year of his deal in 2022. He is currently earning around $425,000 a season but could attract more money on the NRL open market.

One source told The Daily Telegraph that he believed a high-profile Sydney club was prepared to release a representative prop to Melbourne in exchange for Smith, the New Zealand Test hooker.

Some club officials believe Smith is being pursued heavily by one club but Martin wants all clubs to be aware his client would be leaving Melbourne early.

Canterbury, Wests Tigers, New Zealand and Newcastle have been touted as clubs that could show an interest in Smith.

While Smith has entered an elite class in the NRL, it is generally accepted Grant would become Melbourne’s number one hooker with Cam Smith set to retire.

Smith has developed into an outstanding middle forward and dummy half.

Martin’s email was sent to:

Smith shopped to 14 NRL clubs

Roosters: Trent Robinson, Craig Walker, Jamie Mathiou, Daniel Anderson

Tigers: Adam Hartigan, Michael Maguire, Warren McDonnell, Scott Woodward

Bulldogs: Dave Hamilton, Mark Hughes, Craig Wilson

Sharks: Glenn Brailey, Darren Mooney, Shane Smith

Raiders: Don Furner, Peter Mulholland, Ricky Stuart

Panthers: Ivan Cleary, Matt Cameron, Jim Jones

Eels: Ben Rogers, Mark O’Neill, Peter Sharp

Sea Eagles: Noel Cleal, John Bonasera, Scott Fulton

Knights: Alex McKinnon, Clint Zammit

Dragons: Ben Haran, Ian Millward

Broncos: Peter Nolan, Simon Scanlan

Cowboys: Peter Parr, Dane Campbell

Rabbitohs: Mark Ellison

Warriors: Peter O’Sullivan

Strangely, no officials from Gold Coast – a club who would likely be interested in luring Smith to Robina - were on the list

Martin’s email reads: “Please note that after advising the Melbourne Storm that Brandon Smith would be looking for a release due to issues surrounding his desire to play exclusively at hooker.

“The Melbourne Storm has given us permission to look for another club based on (certain) conditions.”

His email then provides two paragraphs attributed to Melbourne Storm.

It reads: “Further to previous communications with the club, I can confirm Melbourne Storm grant permission for Brandon Smith to discuss his playing options for the 2022 NRL season with other clubs.

“In order to achieve this, part of any arrangement moving forward will need to include commensurate compensation for Melbourne Storm, given Brandon’s contractual status, his playing ability and representative status.”

Martin finishes by saying: “If there is any interest in Brandon, please contact myself at a suitable time.”

NRL clubs were busy contacting each other on Monday night to discuss the Smith situation. One recruitment manager said: “He’s on $425,000-a-season but he could get more on the open market.

“I hear there is a representative front-rower that a club would be prepared to release Melbourne. It’s an interesting one.”

One NRL club chief executive is adamant Smith has already decided to join a Sydney-based club.

“I reckon he has a club. He has his buyer. But they are sending it out to everyone in case a club is looking to move a player that might satisfy Melbourne and then the Storm would allow Brandon to leave,” he said.

The cult hero nicknamed The Cheese made 14 runs for 112 metres and completed 18 tackles in Melbourne’s grand final win over Penrith.

He delivered a typically hilarious interview after the match.

“It was pretty good, I mean I played pretty shit tonight but I got the ring,” Smith said.

“It’s for sale, I need to pay for all the beers I’m about to drink.

Smith was full of praise for the future Immortal he’s been stuck behind in the Storm pecking order.

“To the captain, I hope he can play on,” Smith said.

“I know it’s a tough situation for me but I wouldn’t want him carrying me to another couple of rings, I don’t think we should force him out of the game.

“To Craig, he does nothing pretty much all year. Smithy does all the coaching, (Bellamy) is getting paid lots of money to do piss all.”

Coopdogg

Waterboy
Reaction score
I really doubt he is already on $425,000 considering he’s 2nd or 3rd string at the storm. He’s a tough little player but I think if we are serious we need a hooker with abit more creativity. Also I’m sure Barret will want to sort out the hooker roll before waiting until 2022.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article reads a club is willing to offer a rep prop, doesn't mean it is us who are doing that, we might offer a different player.

But I reckon we might be the club who have shown a lot of interest.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This is good for Brandon and I’m surprised it’s taken this long for him to do this. Writing has been on the wall for a long time.

he’s a bit silly leaving it this late because funds have dried up largely for 2021.

tigers ironically could be a firm bet because of Josh Reynolds going to Hull but I assume they would just get Widdop.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Get it done. I almost don't care what we do, just do everything possible to get it done. Throw him up to 800k if that's what it takes, not sure about the compensation but we can sort it out.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If Brandon already has a club, surely the club they're talking about is us.
With Avo/JAC at FB, we'll have our rock star spine sorted for the next decade
I don’t think so, and of it is us I question if we do in fact have a 2021 plan as we have chased JAC/Burton/Spencer (aka FB/Half/Prop) and are chronically light at centre.
If we are all of a sudden in the market for a hooker then do we have a solid plan outside poaching Barrett students from Penrith?