Boyd to Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr333k

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...s-with-gold-coast-titans-20180516-p4zfmw.html

Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd will leave the capital at the end of the season and join the Gold Coast Titans on a multi-million dollar deal.

The Raiders are set to announce Boyd has signed a four-year contract reportedly worth $2.4 million to join the Titans.

Ricky Stuart admitted the club wasn't going to try to compete with "astronomical" offers from rivals.

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan said: "He is an imposing figure that will bring some much-needed size to our pack.

"He has played 100 NRL games and has represented his country so he brings with him a fair amount of experience that will help a number of our young guys.

Advertisement
"He will complement the forwards we already have here so I'm pleased he has chosen to join us."

Boyd's exit follows reports injured front-row partner Junior Paulo is considering a return to Parramatta.

"They are off contract and I want to keep every one of them, but I can't pay the huge money that is being offered to these boys," Stuart said recently.

"And if Junior and Boydy are getting this astronomical money from other clubs, they go with my best wishes."

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley believes Boyd's signing is proof rival players consider the club - who are 15th on the NRL table - a strong chance of future success.

The Titans have also signed Penrith utility Tyrone Peachey on a two-year deal beginning next season.

"Shannon's signing shows that quality players are buying into the inevitable success of the Titans in the years ahead," Annesley said.

"The addition of Shannon in 2019 will give us a forward pack that will be the envy of many other NRL clubs."

Goulburn-born Boyd came out of the Raiders junior system and played his 100th NRL game for the club last week.

The 25-year-old played four Tests for Australia in 2016 and his strong return to form this season could see Boyd back in green and gold at the end of the year.

Boyd has played NSW Country and has been tipped to make his State of Origin debut for the NSW Blues in the coming seasons.

The Raiders are also expected to lose Junior Paulo on a big-money deal to Parramatta, with reports of a four-year, $2.7 million offer being tabled for the Samoan international.

The Raiders have turned their attention to locking in Josh Papalii, Aidan Sezer, Siliva Havili and Dunamis Lui with all four deals seemingly a matter of nailing down lengths and clauses.

Raiders most likely be down 2 props with Paulo expected to go to Eels... they can have Woods and Tolman.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Expensive for only 35 minutes of footy.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Titans also re-signed Jarrod Wallace.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Betoota Advocate:

37-Year-Old NRL Player Tossing Up Between Retirement Or 3-Year Contract With The Titans
CONTACT

A late-30s professional rugby league player has now reached that point in his career where he has to choose between an immediate retirement, or playing low quality football until he is 40.

Kenneth Cronklie (37) currently has several offers to work as either a pokie rep for Aristocrat, a real estate agent for Ray White, or if things get desperate, for Channel 7.

However, it might be easier on his body if he just plays for the Gold Coast Titans for the next few years, while his kids finish up high school.

After a storied career as a 300-game NRL journeyman, Kenneth is even a bit too concussion-riddled for the Super League or French Rugby, but a three-year contract with the Gold Coast is still very much on the table.

“I’m not sure. It could be pretty chilled out and I might even get a gig as captain” he said.

“The missus runs a lifestyle instragram blog, so she can pretty much work from everywhere”

“I think I’m gonna do it hey. I’d probably have a bigger chance of getting injured if I opened my own F45 here in Wollongong”

After 19 years in the NRL, a part from one year playing Wigan in 2009, Kenneth is lucky enough to have played a full half of Origin football in his late twenties, meaning he can also speak at corporate lunches for the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.