News Boyd Cordner set to miss first 12 weeks as Chooks seek $350k cap relief

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's tough for the Rooters, NRL needs to jump in and give them 1.2 Mil atleast in the salary cap, so they can be a little competitive...... transaction can be via Brown paper bags or maccas bag or a red rooters bag. Just not recorded in the books.
Honestly though they can get F#$@%$ with this bullshit. Problem is they will get it and every media outlet will say how wonderful the nrl are handling this matter, not how the cocks put him in that position for playing him when he shouldn't have been there.
P.s.
First picked for origin.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Similar to Foran, no? If so, no cap space for the Roosters. Foran was even injured in an international game. I don't remember us getting any cap relief whatsoever.
We were granted the maximum of 350k but he returned round 4 2020. ( Yeah not a true indicator of his actual absence due to the fact COVID put the season on hold).

The thing I object to is the fact that Cordner had suffered numerous concussions playing for the Roosters last year and they just concentrated on the one in the rep game.
I find it quite ironic and a massive coincidence that the time the 'experts' believe he should be stood down for is the minimum 12 weeks. Considering there were rumblings that he should have been rested from more games last year than what he was and the rep games and even talk of him retiring it smacks of an uneven playing field.

To qualify for maximum dispensation, a player must miss three months of the NRL season and be replaced with a like-for-like player.

Cordner also suffered a series of head knocks earlier in the season while playing for the Roosters.

It comes almost 12 months to the day since the NRL handed Canterbury $350,000 in salary cap relief following a shoulder injury to former playmaker Kieran Foran during an end-of-season Test match for New Zealand in 2019.
Foran needed surgery after the injury, which he picked up at Eden Park while playing against Great Britain 15 months ago. Canterbury expressed concern their marquee signing could potentially miss the entire season. Instead, Foran returned in round four and the Bulldogs were unable to replace him with a like-for-like player, restricting the value of relief.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the f..k doesn't he wear headgear ?

NRL suddenly changes the rule and allows 100% contract compensation. After Cordner is paid out they decide to change it back to the 350K again.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were granted the maximum of 350k but he returned round 4 2020. ( Yeah not a true indicator of his actual absence due to the fact COVID put the season on hold).

The thing I object to is the fact that Cordner had suffered numerous concussions playing for the Roosters last year and they just concentrated on the one in the rep game.
I find it quite ironic and a massive coincidence that the time the 'experts' believe he should be stood down for is the minimum 12 weeks. Considering there were rumblings that he should have been rested from more games last year than what he was and the rep games and even talk of him retiring it smacks of an uneven playing field.

To qualify for maximum dispensation, a player must miss three months of the NRL season and be replaced with a like-for-like player.

Cordner also suffered a series of head knocks earlier in the season while playing for the Roosters.

It comes almost 12 months to the day since the NRL handed Canterbury $350,000 in salary cap relief following a shoulder injury to former playmaker Kieran Foran during an end-of-season Test match for New Zealand in 2019.
Foran needed surgery after the injury, which he picked up at Eden Park while playing against Great Britain 15 months ago. Canterbury expressed concern their marquee signing could potentially miss the entire season. Instead, Foran returned in round four and the Bulldogs were unable to replace him with a like-for-like player, restricting the value of relief.
I agree with this, I don't think we should be eligible. I'll add I don't think he'll be back ever. An entire off season and the first 12 weeks of a comp means there's serious concerns for his wellbeing. If Boyd doesn't I think the club will make the call.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it would be in his best interests to retire. Four concusions in a year doesn't look too good.
Won't be surprised if he suffers from brain damage after he retires. Early onset Alzheimers is a distinct possibility if he keeps playing.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't be surprised if he suffers from brain damage after he retires. Early onset Alzheimers is a distinct possibility if he keeps playing.
Players are young and easily fooled, the way I see it is he ruined his life just to lick Politis's arse.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with this, I don't think we should be eligible. I'll add I don't think he'll be back ever. An entire off season and the first 12 weeks of a comp means there's serious concerns for his wellbeing. If Boyd doesn't I think the club will make the call.
I like him & hope for his future & his family sake he retires.....still hate the effing chooks for their shonky rorting, appreciate how good he has been though, & for NSW while we have been shit!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I blame the NRL for not introducing a rule like in boxing where players who are ruled out of a game due to concussion can't play the next week regardless of whether they pass protocols in the week after the game or not.

If they have multiple concussions in a season like Keary and Cordner or Martin Lang etc then they should be forced to sit out multiple games at least..

If they get concussed once again after that, then they should be forced to sit out for months because players like Cordner will be a vegetable if he keeps going at this rate. We don't want another Adam Ritson situation on our hands..

Credit to you for being impartial and reasonable in regards to the Roosters seeking compensation as it's a laughable request in this instance.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. He needs to think about life beyond rugby league. I'm pretty surevthe NRL will face a class action lawsuit somewhere down the line.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate the roosters but cordner is one player I have huge respect for. Great leader and tough bloke but sometimes that toughness can be detrimental. Clearly it’s a serious issue for him if he’s having this much time off. I have my doubts whether he comes back but also know if he does and has 1 more then surely that’s the nail in the coffin. Footy is such a small thing to give up when you have a whole life to live. Wish him all the best

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel sorry for his family. Heart is one thing but continuing his career at this point is just downright selfish. Wrap up an amazing career and hit up uncle Nick for some help

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Why the f..k doesn't he wear headgear ?

NRL suddenly changes the rule and allows 100% contract compensation. After Cordner is paid out they decide to change it back to the 350K again.
Agree. He needs to think about life beyond rugby league. I'm pretty surevthe NRL will face a class action lawsuit somewhere down the line.
I would guess that after the massive lawsuit the American NFL got hit with 5 or so years ago that the NRL would now have stipulations in every contract that a player couldn't sue for brain injuries. It's not really the NRL's fault IMO, players no doubt know what risks they are taking when they take the field.
Hopefully Cordner makes the right decision for his future at some point.