News Boyd Cordner set to miss first 12 weeks as Chooks seek $350k cap relief

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blame the NRL for not introducing a rule like in boxing where players who are ruled out of a game due to concussion can't play the next week regardless of whether they pass protocols in the week after the game or not.

If they have multiple concussions in a season like Keary and Cordner or Martin Lang etc then they should be forced to sit out multiple games at least..

If they get concussed once again after that, then they should be forced to sit out for months because players like Cordner will be a vegetable if he keeps going at this rate. We don't want another Adam Ritson situation on our hands..

Credit to you for being impartial and reasonable in regards to the Roosters seeking compensation as it's a laughable request in this instance.
I didn't agree with the Scabbitohs getting it for Sam Burgess's shoulder when they medically retired him, but unfortunately that's the precedent that's been set by the NRL.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I didn't agree with the Scabbitohs getting it for Sam Burgess's shoulder when they medically retired him, but unfortunately that's the precedent that's been set by the NRL.
A doctor would only have to listen to Burgess speak a few sentences and immediately declare brain damage and medical retirement. He talks like he has downed 30 schooners. Not to mention his massive saliva problem.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the Roosters need the 350k. They're only using 1/10th of their salary cap aren't they? Given that SBW was on a reported $160k last year and now he's gone, that frees up 4.2 million for this year. That's not how maths usually works, but with the big four clubs it tends to work that way.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
As a Roosters fan I think he should retire. He is one head knock away from it anyway. He’ll be gun shy not wanting to put his head in the wrong place. He’s done it all and has nothing to prove.
He won't think twice about putting his head in the firing line, he is a tough nut. The decision needs to be made for him somehow.
The Roosters will convince him, along the lines of mega amounts of free shit for the rest of his life if he suddenly gets the urge to pull out of his contract a few years early, saving them probably around $1.5 million in salary cap payments in the next 2 years.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bloke will be cooked time his 50
So many concussions

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From a study of CTE:

Despite clinically apparent symptoms, there is no imaging or other diagnostic test that can confirm diagnosis in living subjects.

Retire mate. Just because docs are saying "based on the evidence we have, you're all sweet" doesn't hold much water when we have articles suggesting that no amount of testing at present can pick up CTE.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From a study of CTE:

Despite clinically apparent symptoms, there is no imaging or other diagnostic test that can confirm diagnosis in living subjects.

Retire mate. Just because docs are saying "based on the evidence we have, you're all sweet" doesn't hold much water when we have articles suggesting that no amount of testing at present can pick up CTE.
Unfortunately for him I think you are correct.

He'll be joining his cousin in no time if he comes back.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a study of CTE:

But if the doctors are saying there is no "clinically apparent symptoms" why would he contemplate retiring? From what I'm reading the club is doing the right thing by Cords.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They state he had four in total last year. Divide the four and give them 87.5 for one the four he hurt himself in origin. As was said when we applied for Foran. Had to prove it wasn’t a old injury.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But if the doctors are saying there is no "clinically apparent symptoms" why would he contemplate retiring? From what I'm reading the club is doing the right thing by Cords.
Here are the facts we do know:

• CTE - formerly known as punch drunk syndrome, is common amongst sports people in contact and semi-contact sport
  • Repeated concussions can lead to CTE
  • Cordner has reported concussions of August 2017, July 2018, June 2018, two in 2019, and three in mid 2020. Then the one in state of origin late last year, so that takes it to 4. And these are the only concussions in the top flight that we know of. I am sure there are heaps more if you consider junior levels, and the ones that are not documented.
  • Also be mindful that it is not just about repeated concussions, but hits to the head.
  • We have a report in CTE that stipulates that we cannot measure, identify or accurately diagnose CTE on a live person
  • New information is coming out every few months on this disease, but we are still in our VERY early understanding of it. Which in itself is very scary.

Just assessing the above, then the risk is HUGE for Cordner if he is to continue. I applaud the Roosters for how they have gone about resting him, and for the efforts they have gone to to support him and other players (Keary).

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the facts we do know:

• CTE - formerly known as punch drunk syndrome, is common amongst sports people in contact and semi-contact sport
  • Repeated concussions can lead to CTE
  • Cordner has reported concussions of August 2017, July 2018, June 2018, two in 2019, and three in mid 2020. Then the one in state of origin late last year, so that takes it to 4. And these are the only concussions in the top flight that we know of. I am sure there are heaps more if you consider junior levels, and the ones that are not documented.
  • Also be mindful that it is not just about repeated concussions, but hits to the head.
  • We have a report in CTE that stipulates that we cannot measure, identify or accurately diagnose CTE on a live person
  • New information is coming out every few months on this disease, but we are still in our VERY early understanding of it. Which in itself is very scary.

Just assessing the above, then the risk is HUGE for Cordner if he is to continue. I applaud the Roosters for how they have gone about resting him, and for the efforts they have gone to to support him and other players (Keary).
I hear what you're saying and the risks indeed huge, especially for later in life. Some of the stories I read about what some NFL players did to themselves as a result of CTE was terrifying. But I also think given we have a limited understanding of CTE, experts can only assess each case on it's merits and based on what I'm reading that's what they are doing and will continue until and if he's given clearance to play.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying and the risks indeed huge, especially for later in life. Some of the stories I read about what some NFL players did to themselves as a result of CTE was terrifying. But I also think given we have a limited understanding of CTE, experts can only assess each case on it's merits and based on what I'm reading that's what they are doing and will continue until and if he's given clearance to play.
Yeah its an extremely tough one.

We are not that advance from a medical standpoint in a lot of areas - and this is one where I would argue we are still very much in its infancy.

My fear is that - what the above study has shown is this:
  • Majority of cases of CTE do not show symptoms until AFTER retirement from a sporting code. Play that into what is being said of Boyd, and it could have some after effects if he continues to play. Personally, I would argue he should consider himself lucky, given how many concussions he has had.
  • 10-15% of all concussions could lead to prolonged symptoms. He has appeared to not show anything in this space, but my concern here is this... Is Boyd just being a warriors and hiding it? I am hopeful this is not the case, but the fact he played through a concussion in Origin only 2 months ago may point to him putting the game before his personal health
  • I touched on this before... but you cannot be diagnosed with CTE until your body is examined via autopsy. All an MRI does is rule out brain damage.
Not sure if you are familiar with Shaun Valentine - former NQLD Cowboys player. Have a dig around for some of the articles that relate to his retirement... absolutely sad and sickening. Not comparing how we was treated, as the Roosters have clearly shown duty of care for the player. But the aftermath of continuous concussions is not something to be missed with.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah its an extremely tough one.

We are not that advance from a medical standpoint in a lot of areas - and this is one where I would argue we are still very much in its infancy.

My fear is that - what the above study has shown is this:
  • Majority of cases of CTE do not show symptoms until AFTER retirement from a sporting code. Play that into what is being said of Boyd, and it could have some after effects if he continues to play. Personally, I would argue he should consider himself lucky, given how many concussions he has had.
  • 10-15% of all concussions could lead to prolonged symptoms. He has appeared to not show anything in this space, but my concern here is this... Is Boyd just being a warriors and hiding it? I am hopeful this is not the case, but the fact he played through a concussion in Origin only 2 months ago may point to him putting the game before his personal health
  • I touched on this before... but you cannot be diagnosed with CTE until your body is examined via autopsy. All an MRI does is rule out brain damage.
Not sure if you are familiar with Shaun Valentine - former NQLD Cowboys player. Have a dig around for some of the articles that relate to his retirement... absolutely sad and sickening. Not comparing how we was treated, as the Roosters have clearly shown duty of care for the player. But the aftermath of continuous concussions is not something to be missed with.
Mate I read enough about CTE to scare me and the only contact my head has these days is bashing it up against the wall at work. What CTE did to Mike Webster and Justin Strzelczyk (NFL players) was diabolical. I personally hope Cords retires if there is even a hint of potential damage later on, it's not like he's not going to be looked after by that hot missus of his.