Books

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If anybody is into action, than look no further than Australian author Mathew Reilly. He has written a number of book, but for me his best stories, and best character is Shane Schofield, call sign Scarecrow. He is an elite member of the US marines, who, with his ensemble of tough soldiers, try to foil the plans of evil doers who attempt to cause chaos.

The way Reilly writes, makes you feel like you are in a cinema watching an action film.. They are very hard to put down.. I loved em..

D0218529-8D03-4912-A2AC-BA57B0068627.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have this one sitting in my get around to eventually pile...
View attachment 32384
I've been trying to pick up some of the others and put them aside too.
I haven’t read this one..I have heard mixed reviews. You can get digital copies of the Thrawn trilogy.. I have actually got the first two on audio..

ps..what a fantastic character Thrawn is..should be in a movie!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I always used to be one to never throw out books (couldn't bring myself to do it), but after them sitting in boxes in the shed for a couple years since we last moved (and with little kids, i wasn't keen on having tall bookshelves in the new place), i finally went through them a few weeks ago, and took most of them to a charity book shop near home, along with heap of old dvds. I only kept ones that hold some real sentimental value, plus of course my biographies of Steven Mortimer, Terry Lamb and Hazem el Masri.
I hear ya - its tough. My work used to have a library, years of reference material specifically related to my industry. Some really tough to get stuff. One day we were told library was going and if you wanted anything, grab it and keep it yourself (still property of work). Thousands of material, 2 days to work out what we wanted to keep. Most of us took it light on as we were told it was going to UWS reference library. So thought, one way or another, we could get access to something if we really wanted it.

UWS used the stuff we gave them as landfill in the Penrith Campus extension. True story. Fckn book burying Nazis....

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If anybody is into action, than look no further than Australian author Mathew Reilly. He has written a number of book, but for me his best stories, and best character is Shane Schofield, call sign Scarecrow. He is an elite member of the US marines, who, with his ensemble of tough soldiers, try to foil the plans of evil doers who attempt to cause chaos.

The way Reilly writes, makes you feel like you are in a cinema watching an action film.. They are very hard to put down.. I loved em..

View attachment 32385
Reilly should write video-games, all his books play out like them. Not much depth, not much story, just action scenes spliced onto each other.

Good for him though he’s a multi multi with an apartment at Miller’s Point and pads in L.A and plenty others too I’d imagine. Got a genuine restored Delorean too, Back To The Future model.

Pulp Fiction pays.

He’s actually directing now I seen on Aus Story the other week. Some blokes with guns galore thing for Netflix.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reilly should write video-games, all his books play out like them. Not much depth, not much story, just action scenes spliced onto each other.

Good for him though he’s a multi multi with an apartment at Miller’s Point and pads in L.A and plenty others too I’d imagine. Got a genuine restored Delorean too, Back To The Future model.

Pulp Fiction pays.

He’s actually directing now I seen on Aus Story the other week. Some blokes with guns galore thing for Netflix.
Totally..he’s done great..especially for a bloke who had to self publish his first book..The Contest..which is great by the way..because publishers weren’t interested..

edit..on a sad note his wife committed suicide a few years back..

Last edited:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I haven’t read this one..I have heard mixed reviews. You can get digital copies of the Thrawn trilogy.. I have actually got the first two on audio..

ps..what a fantastic character Thrawn is..should be in a movie!
Would definitely be a great character, if they don't stuff it up.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody is a Star Wars fan..I suggest you get a hold of the Thrawn triology by Timothy Zahn, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. They were the first official stories licensed and approved by Lucas for the expanded universe..until now..where they have been tossed out as cannon and replaced by the latest Star War films..

As a big fan of Star Wars, Zahn’s treatment of the universe post the victory of the Rebellion is, to me, a more logical step in what would occur after the demise of the Empire. I felt the movies made what happened in the original trilogies redundant as the universe was still under the thumb of an Empire, ie the New World Order, and the Rebels ie. the Resistance was still fighting them. Anyway besides that these stories are great.. I highly recommend them..

ps..Zahn‘s name for the capital of the Star Was galaxy, Coruscant, was adopted by Lucas..

View attachment 32382
very good series... set 5 years after 'Return of the Jedi'... Han and Leia married, she is pregnant with twins, Luke trying to further develop his skills by seeking out Jedis that survived Order 66 and he comes upon a clone of a Jedi master that is mad, the new republic is still in its infancy and vulnerable, Thrawn is the Empire's most gifted admirals who has taken charge of the remnants of the Empire, a former assassin of the Emperor Mara Jade commanded to kill Luke Skywalker, a clone of Luke Skywalker created from his cut off hand from 'The Empire Strikes Back' wielding the lightsaber he lost etc.

Disney's sequel trilogy is in comparison just bland, inconsistent fan fiction

Timothy Zahn did a couple further Star Wars books set 15 years after 'Jedi' which are worth a read, too --> "Specter of the Past" and "Vision of the Future"

the Jedi Academy trilogy, "I, Jedi", "The Courtship of Princess Leia", some of the New Jedi Order are worth a read, too

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if there are any George R.R. Martin fans of ASOIAF, then I would recommend some of Raymond E. Feist's works

"Magician"

the Serpent War Saga

"The King's Buccaneer"

"Daughter of the Empire"

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
very good series... set 5 years after 'Return of the Jedi'... Han and Leia married, she is pregnant with twins, Luke trying to further develop his skills by seeking out Jedis that survived Order 66 and he comes upon a clone of a Jedi master that is mad, the new republic is still in its infancy and vulnerable, Thrawn is the Empire's most gifted admirals who has taken charge of the remnants of the Empire, a former assassin of the Emperor Mara Jade commanded to kill Luke Skywalker, a clone of Luke Skywalker created from his cut off hand from 'The Empire Strikes Back' wielding the lightsaber he lost etc.

Disney's sequel trilogy is in comparison just bland, inconsistent fan fiction

Timothy Zahn did a couple further Star Wars books set 15 years after 'Jedi' which are worth a read, too --> "Specter of the Past" and "Vision of the Future"

the Jedi Academy trilogy, "I, Jedi", "The Courtship of Princess Leia", some of the New Jedi Order are worth a read, too
Gee it was good..just perfect Star Wars..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for some more heroic fantasy novels, David Gemmell is a fun read

his Drenai series and in particular, "Legend" and "Waylander", are very good... "Lion of Macedon" and "Dark Prince" is his re-writing of the Alexander the Great history through a fictionalised version of his general, Parmenion, from his early days in Sparta to the conquest of the Persian Empire... "Ghost King" and "Last Sword of Power" is a retelling of the Arthurian legend... he also does a three-book series on the Trojan War - ""Lord of the Silver Bow", "Shield of Thunder" and "Fall of Kings"... the Rigante series is good

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
s-l500.jpg
s-l500a.jpg

For the rugby league historians, Matt Geddes put out a series of books, on most of the clubs. They are a season by season account of the club's history. I have the Bulldogs, Newtown, Magpies & Bears ones at the moment. Will probably pick up some of the others sometime in the future.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 32385
I definitely want to read some of his stuff. Any recommendations of which of his books to start with?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that again about a year ago. That might have been the first attempt at a Star Wars novel?
I'm really not sure. I don't remember much about it. Probably about 35 years since I read it. But I've added it to my pile of my growing tower of books to read. I'm sure there'll be a Star Wars fan out there who can confirm or otherwise.