Boat licence

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone recently obtained their boat licence or has any knowledge/experience with boats?

considering getting my licence so I can get a boat. Complete disclosure I am a noob with all this.
Wanting this for pure leisure and occasional fishing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone recently obtained their boat licence or has any knowledge/experience with boats?

considering getting my licence so I can get a boat. Complete disclosure I am a noob with all this.
Wanting this for pure leisure and occasional fishing.
A recreational boat licence is a piece of piss to get. Here in QLD at least, its just a written exam about basic stuff. Port and starboard, tides etc etc.
Where do you live though? And what is the boat for? People here in north QLD decide the must have a boat, and then realise 20 knot southerlies blow for 6 months of the year, making it impossible to take out, and then the other months there are too many jelly fish. Haha

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Make sure you do read up on safety, tides, weather, rules etc as conditions can change quite quickly even in the bays and open rivers. Especially dangerous if you're in a tinny.
But yeah it's heaps of fun on a boat.

Good luck with it and stay safe out there.

P.S have some sinkers close by so you can peg 'em at the hektik jetski riders. They're annoying carnts.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty easy man. I think now you can either do a course then pass similar to an L’s test at the RMS or a logbook and computer test. Check with the RMS. I second the sinkers for the wankers on jet skis, especially if you go out around Revesby beach haha. Learn the markers too because so many people have no clue

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Rec boat ticket is easy to obtain just contact your local Maritime testing authority they will run you through the do's and dont's and give you a very simple practical and written exam will take about an hour all up. That said, educate yourself on basic rules of maritime travel and understand the limitations of your vessel and experience. Murphy's law rules on the water, what can go wrong will go wrong.Be ready for it. enjoy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A recreational boat licence is a piece of piss to get. Here in QLD at least, its just a written exam about basic stuff. Port and starboard, tides etc etc.
Where do you live though? And what is the boat for? People here in north QLD decide the must have a boat, and then realise 20 knot southerlies blow for 6 months of the year, making it impossible to take out, and then the other months there are too many jelly fish. Haha
For most people...
The two happiest days of owning a boat:
The day you buy it and the day you sell it! :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hahaha I’ve heard this before.
From my experience it was fun, but they’re more expensive and less practical than you first imagine.
Not to be a killjoy of course :-).

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Piece of piss mate
Honestly easiest license you will get
Have fun