News Board anger as Bulldogs director fails to mention pub ownership

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So Laundy won't stump up the cash to pay anything close to market value for a major sponsorship but some people think he is going to be splashing cash left, right and centre on TPA's........
Conversely you want them to do both ............. interesting.

It's the perfect time to sell the $500k deal to the NRL, Laundy's is obviously a heavily Covid affected business, we are not all that attractive a sponsorship/advertising proposition and doing a 3 year deal at this time looks pretty smart to me. The OK from the NRL then gives us time to put the other off cap stuff in place.

I honestly don't think that we can beat the Chooks unless we do the same "deals" as they do.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fark no! Even if I could, I wouldn't.

Maybe we will get a hint when the 2021 TPA's are published. Or when, say, $500k players sign on for, say, $300k. Or when a $500k player leaves and frees up $1m in the Cap. You know, the stuff the Chooks get away with.

Go Dogs
Don't think you're on solid ground there but.....who knows.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Conversely you want them to do both ............. interesting.

It's the perfect time to sell the $500k deal to the NRL, Laundy's is obviously a heavily Covid affected Business, we are not all that attractive a sponsorship/advertising proposition and doing a 3 year deal at this time looks pretty smart to me. The OK for the NRL then gives us time to put the other off cap stuff in place.

I honestly don't think that we can beat the Chooks unless we do the same "deals" as they do.

Go Dogs
You have a very creative imagination because there is absolutely nothing to suggest this is true.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't think you're on solid ground there but.....who knows.
I sure as hell don't, but it's just the sort of deal I would do. We sure as hell don't need the cash, once the leagues club is back trading, because that gets included in the Cap. What we really need is the stuff that is legally outside the Cap.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You have a very creative imagination because there is absolutely nothing to suggest this is true.
What do you want? The Board to come out and say "don't worry about the $500k, we have another $500k hidden in Cap cheating, back door stuff".

You said it yourself.......
It’s all about connections the Broncos have the thoroughbreds and Roosters have Politis. These are all people with a lot of money where they can sponsor a player for a couple of hundred grand or more and they get nothing in return. People like that aren’t easy to find with money like that.
Maybe we found one.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why Wendy, because the new grubs of tabloid journalism are scraping the bottom of the barrel? They’re certainly living up to their name: Nine ‘Entertainment’ Group. 2GB is now the Today Show of the airwaves and the once credible SMH now isn’t much better than the Terrorgraph. It’s not that hard to join the dots between the various players and see what their motives are. Why does the club need to respond to sensationalism?
I know all that but it's an unfortunate reality.

I don't agree that ignoring the chaos going on around you helps when you are responsible for running a business...whether that chaos is true or just perceived. The reality is that we are awash with rumours, innuendo, questionable issues, in house fighting, making us look like we are a mess atm.

I am not going into the sides tearing us asunder nor the political machinations.

But I do say we should be om the front foot.

WA are countersuing Clive Palmer.
Fauci is hitting back at some Republicans for misrepresenting his statements.
Penrith are defending their reputation with these rumours about them.
Bellamy apologised immediately about the bird and talked about it.

I just believe we need to stand up. If its not true, let them explain.

Just my opinion. Not getting into any arguments about this.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing about the media these days is that they thrive on sensationalism and quite frequently sell stories that aren't based on facts. They've offered zero evidence of how they know the actual details of the sponsorship. The issue we're supposed to be critical of here is that Ballesty has business links with Laundy. I don't personally see a problem there. But on top of this we're expected to be angry about the value of the deal when all I'm seeing is hearsay about that. I personally wish that the media could just piss off with their sensationalism.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you want? The Board to come out and say "don't worry about the $500k, we have another $500k hidden in Cap cheating, back door stuff".

You said it yourself.......

Maybe we found one.

Go Dogs
No I want the board to get a major sponsorship deal that is paying at least market price and not underselling the club.

If they have found a source of TPA's credit to them but why should it come at the expense of a poor sponsorship deal? Its especially poor in my view after they went cap in hand asking for donations and membership pledges earlier this year.

I'll believe it when I see it about the TPA's.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What is your standing on this matter? Do you think its all good for this sort of business practice to take place?
Had Ballesty not declared his interest at all it’s a different story - he did. Yet these tabloid grubs create a non-existent scandal because he owns a 33% interest in one pub from 20 years ago (the Laundy’s have 60). I just don’t see what there is to see here and it’s obvious where it’s coming from.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know all that but it's an unfortunate reality.

I don't agree that ignoring the chaos going on around you helps when you are responsible for running a business...whether that chaos is true or just perceived. The reality is that we are awash with rumours, innuendo, questionable issues, in house fighting, making us look like we are a mess atm.

I am not going into the sides tearing us asunder nor the political machinations.

But I do say we should be om the front foot.

WA are countersuing Clive Palmer.
Fauci is hitting back at some Republicans for misrepresenting his statements.
Penrith are defending their reputation with these rumours about them.
Bellamy apologised immediately about the bird and talked about it.

I just believe we need to stand up. If its not true, let them explain.

Just my opinion. Not getting into any arguments about this.
We're on a hiding to nothing with the media these days. Serves very little purpose to try reputing their claims. Just gives them more ammunition for articles. They'll just manipulate it how they want anyway. If we assemble a team that is competitive and in or around the top eight next year I give zero shits about what the media is saying is going on behind closed doors.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The thing about the media these days is that they thrive on sensationalism and quite frequently sell stories that aren't based on facts. They've offered zero evidence of how they know the actual details of the sponsorship. The issue we're supposed to be critical of here is that Ballesty has business links with Laundy. I don't personally see a problem there. But on top of this we're expected to be angry about the value of the deal when all I'm seeing is hearsay about that. I personally wish that the media could just piss off with their sensationalism.
If it was the usual culprit run of the mill footy gossip hound we usually come after us, then yes but it is McClymont and she is another realm of investigative journos.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs football club director, John Ballesty, is facing a backlash from several of his fellow board members over his failure to tell them he co-owns a hotel with pub baron Arthur Laundy, who recently signed a deal to sponsor the team.
Eyebrows have been raised over the deal with one league commentator describing the three-year agreement as "probably the worst in the game" with no money paid this year and reportedly only $500,000 per year for the following two years.
Several board members are furious that they only learned of Mr Ballesty’s long-time business association with Mr Laundy after the Herald sent the board questions about his potential conflict of interest, several sources close to the board have revealed.

John Ballesty, a board member of both the league and football clubs, owns a multi-million dollar hotel with  pub baron Arthur Laundy.

John Ballesty, a board member of both the league and football clubs, owns a multi-million dollar hotel with pub baron Arthur Laundy.Credit:Paul Jones
Three of the seven board members - Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson, Mr Ballesty and Paul Dunn – are currently trying to fend off a coup, with more than one hundred unhappy members singing a petition calling for an Extraordinary General Meeting to oust them.

The revelations are the latest drama to engulf the club after the recent move to stand down League Club president George Coorey following allegations of inappropriate behaviour revealed by the Herald.
On 23 July the Bulldogs board approved the deal for Laundy Hotels to be the major sponsor of the club until the end of 2022.

But what the majority of the board did not know was that Mr Ballesty and Mr Laundy each own a third of the Villawood Hotel. Land title records show they purchased the hotel in 2000 for $4.8 million.
According to corporate records, in 2012 Mr Ballesty, Mr Laundy and their third business partner, signed a $600,000 per year lease, subject to annual increases, with the Woolworths-backed ALH Group. The 25-year lease expires in 2037.

Previously, Mr Ballesty and Mr Laundy were directors and shareholders in a company Lonsdale Hotel Pty Ltd, which owned a hotel of the same name in South Australia, from 1994 to 2009.
When the Herald asked whether Mr Ballesty had notified the board of his association, a spokesman for the board replied that Mrs Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill were aware of the relationship when negotiating the deal and that Mr Ballesty was not a party to the negotiations.

The Villawood Hotel, co-owned by Bulldogs director John Ballesty.

The Villawood Hotel, co-owned by Bulldogs director John Ballesty.

In a second statement, it was admitted that the rest of the board had not been notified due to “the final approval process which occurred via email in an out of Board session” due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Mr Ballesty said that while he doesn’t consider he is conflicted in this matter, he acknowledged “that he preferentially would have advised the whole board,” a later statement read.

Mr Ballesty, who also sits on the League club board, said he disclosed his hotel ownership to that board in April 2018.
It is not suggested that Mr Ballesty personally gained from the sponsorship deal.
Mr Ballesty’s failure to inform the majority of the board of his business interest with a major sponsor has raised serious questions about Mr Ballesty’s continuation on the board, several sources close to the board said.
Mr Ballesty, 75, was the league club general manager during the 2002 Bulldogs salary cap scandal. In 2004 he admitted in a Sydney court that he knew about the salary cap rorts as early as 1999 but did nothing to stop them. He said club chairman Gary McIntyre assured him that the arrangement was legal.

"I should have checked," Mr Ballesty said at the time.

Hahaha everyone knew. Believe the media at your peril

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No I want the board to get a major sponsorship deal that is paying at least market price and not underselling the club. If they have found a source of TPA's credit to them but why should it come at the expense of a poor sponsorship deal? Its especially poor in my view after they went cap in hand asking for donations and membership pledges earlier this year.
Do you accept that we don't need the cash?
That the Leagues club (post Covid) can provide all the cash that we need?
That sponsorship/advertising and Leagues Club grants pay for the Football Staff and the players, both of which have Salary Caps?
If so, then it's good strategy to minimise what's included in the Cap and at the same time to maximise what is legally excluded from the Cap.

I'll believe it when I see it about the TPA's.
So will I.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We're on a hiding to nothing with the media these days. Serves very little purpose to try reputing their claims. Just gives them more ammunition for articles. They'll just manipulate it how they want anyway. If we assemble a team that is competitive and in or around the top eight next year I give zero shits about what the media is saying is going on behind closed doors.
I believe we would look a lot more professional if we did in house interviews with CEO or Chairman addressing issues rather than look like rabbits in the crosshairs all the time.

I've always hated the secretive "its only our business", the "ignore the press and player managers" and the generally bad media relationships we have had for a long time.

I dont think its the way to handle things in todays business and social media environment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you accept that we don't need the cash?
That the Leagues club (post Covid) can provide all the cash that we need?
That sponsorship/advertising and Leagues Club grants pay for the Football Staff and the players, both of which have Salary Caps?
If so, then it's good strategy to minimise what's included in the Cap and at the same time to maximise what is legally excluded from the Cap.

So will I.

Go Dogs
We will always need cash! The Football Club has and always will lose money hand over fist. Anyway I’m done with this conversation because this whole TPA theory is just something you have manufactured in your mind.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never seen the club this much of a rabble off the field.. infighting and amatuer hour is very embarrassing..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Never seen the club this much of a rabble off the field.. infighting and amatuer hour is very embarrassing..
It’s been much worse. Look at the sources and media. Don’t let it get to you

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Wish they didn't have the sponsorship at all. I like wen the jersey is clean from advertising.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This came out because of the internal fight? Now both sides using media?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the club come out and advised that Laundy is sponsoring the Dogs @ 500k a year, or is everyone getting their panties tangled over "reports" about the amount from the "media"?
The club and management have made no comments regarding the specifics of this sponsorship.
People need to ignore these ridiculous stories coming out every second day about our club.
I attended a football club meeting earlier this year were our club representatives mentioned on several occasions not to believe media propaganda.
Business dealings are kept confidential.
My only concern for now is to see a much improved team come 2021.

Last edited: