Blues blow up over refs' blunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Blues blow up over refs' blunders

Brad Walter, Glenn Jackson and Steve Mascord | June 4, 2009

JARRYD HAYNE led a chorus of complaints from frustrated NSW players and officials about a try he had disallowed, a blocking penalty against the Blues winger and other rulings as their epic comeback fell just short of an upset Origin I victory.

Hayne, who was close to man of the match in a losing NSW side, slammed the decision of video referees Bill Harrigan and Tim Mander to disallow an eighth-minute try that would have given the new-look Blues a perfect start, and a penalty against him six minutes later for impeding opposing winger Israel Folau.

Both incidents were immediately followed by Queensland tries, and Hayne admitted the momentum of the game shifted after that as the Maroons moved to within one win of a historic fourth series victory.

Blues coach Craig Bellamy and most of his players later claimed Hayne should have at least been awarded the benefit of the doubt and awarded a try after repeated replays failed to prove decisively whether he had put a foot on the touchline as he raced 40 metres to score.

"The video ref took about 10 minutes just to … replay after replay, and it was obvious he wasn't sure," Hayne said. "It was a 50-50 call, and it's the attacking team which gets the benefit of the doubt, unless the rules have changed or something.

"It was clear that the foot wasn't on the line. That's what I thought. I think even the Queensland players thought that. They weren't at the spot where I ran out, they were 10 metres from the line. Usually if it's a clear no-try everyone's set up where it happens."

Veteran prop Luke Bailey added: "From the reverse angle, I didn't see any chalk at all. But they were determined to not award it. They had 35 angles and disallowed it somehow."

Asked about the decision at the post-match press conference, Bellamy said he could not understand how the try was not awarded, saying it was looked at "seven or eight times".

"Where's the benefit of the doubt?" he said. "I don't know whether he's seen the boot touch the sideline on the eighth go or the seventh go, when he couldn't see it in the first, second, third or fourth. To me that's benefit of the doubt. I don't know how he could come up with that decision to be quite honest."

Centre Michael Jennings also believed Hayne deserved the benefit of the doubt, while second-rower Ben Creagh said: "When the video referee looks at it so many times it's obviously pretty line ball. Most of us thought it was a try at the time and we still do now."

Creagh insisted the Blues did not drop their bundle after the controversial rulings but Hayne admitted the momentum changed. "Things just didn't go our way after that," he said.

Hayne, who was later rewarded with a 68th-minute try that put the Blues within reach of an unlikely victory until Darius Boyd scored as the full-time siren sounded, was also highly critical of the decision to penalise him for blocking Folau. The penalty led to Greg Inglis's first try after 15 minutes and gave the Maroons a 12-2 lead after Billy Slater has scored five minutes earlier.

"The same touchie calls it again, that I took him out when I was looking straight at the ball, I didn't look at 'Izzy' once," Hayne said.

Queensland's calls for protection for Folau, which culminated in Maroons coach Mal Meninga meeting with referees Tony Archer and Shayne Hayne before the game, paid a dividend with that penalty, according to several disgruntled Blues.

"We're going to have to go back to training and - hopefully if I get in the side - work out what to do," said Bailey. "'He's almost like Superman. You can't do anything. You can't let him run past you, you can't block him off so we've got to try and learn to stop him. It's probably just not let them in our half which is easier said than done."

Blues captain Kurt Gidley said Hayne had no option.

"What else has Jarryd got to do there. He can't just let him jump over the top of him to score tries," Gidley said.

NSW second-rower Anthony Laffranchi added: "I definitely thought 'Haynesy' had a crack at the ball. We did a lot of work throughout the week on that. We'll have a look at that, I don't know if we'll change too much.

"He's such a big threat in the air I think we contained him well tonight."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/origin/blues-blow-up-over-refs-blunders/2009/06/03/1243708509342.html?page=2

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i dont blame them tbh...this is exactly why im sick and tired of the video refs...take it back to the days where the decisions were left to the on field refs...least this way there will be less inconsistancies...the use of this technology has been way too much

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
****ing suck it up.
Blame it on the refs for being outplayed?
Sorry, no. QLD were the better team and won, stop making excuses, kthx.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
seriously stfu...im talkin about an issue thats killing this game...i'll be the first to tell you that qld played much better than the blues did....but personal i ****ing tired of seeing these video refs being bought up every damn week

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
****ing suck it up.
Blame it on the refs for being outplayed?
Sorry, no. QLD were the better team and won, stop making excuses, kthx.
LOL

QLD were pretty pathetic towards the end when the Blues kept getting lucky

blaming the ref aint an excuse but you can't deny the video ref is a f*cking blemish on the game (im still not over that Dragons game)

still LOL @ Gidley and LOL @ Blues

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
seriously stfu...im talkin about an issue thats killing this game...i'll be the first to tell you that qld played much better than the blues did....but personal i ****ing tired of seeing these video refs being bought up every damn week
Wasn't aimed at you mate, I was aiming it at the sooks in the article.
Fans can complain, but it's annoying when coaches / players do it.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
^
the coach and players probably did say qld were the better team on the night, but they were only quoted for their comments about 2 very questionable decisions that not only both led to qld try's but also denied nsw of a certain 4 pointer

undeniably very big calls in the context of the game

benefit of the doubt is an actual rule, they just seemed to have forgotten to use it last night

do they have a right to be pissed about these calls then? damn right they do

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL at that pic. That was when he got close. There was one occasion where his foot DID touch the line as he was prancing about gayly towards the try line. If he'd got the pass away NSW could have still scored. That's what happens when you try to be to cute.

NO TRY.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
ur pic only shows one step Vai, they checked 2 motions, check in the BOD thread for the other one. kthxbai!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stop being stupid.

If a cum guzzling video ref looks at the video for 40 minutes like he did (killing the atmosphere of the game while he was at it) then it should have gone benefit of the doubt. The touchy was right there staring at the line.

What a joke league has become with these dud calls.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
I needed one look to be confident it was a no try. Didnt see the point in him looking at it over and over again.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
It's Gallop's fault, kick the ****ehead out !!!!!

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
It's Gallop's fault, kick the ****ehead out !!!!!
No, it's NSW fault for being soft cocks and not getting the **** over something that happened in the 8th minute when it wasn't wrong anyway and they were in the lead.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
at the end of the day, a call that was made in the 5th min will never make a team lose, you can come up with the oldest excuse in the book and say "the game would have changed yada yada" which is true, how do you know qld wouldnt have scored 50 then? They had 75 mins to to try and win and it was still 2-0 their way.

If you want to talk about luck, just look at NSW's last 2 tries for luck, dud kicks which rickershayed into hands of NSWeshmen lol.

ALL nsw's tries were from kicks even though they had moment with the forwards, that tells me 1 thing, this NSW team wasnt using their backline correctly.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You are all acting like it was clear cut that he was in .. hate to tell you this, but it isnt. Its one of those 50/50 calls and at the time I said to mates, im happy for it to go either way. I personally thought he put his foot on the line the first time they played it back.

Alot of you seem to be under the assumption that if the video ref misses it the first or second time it should just be a try. No no no no no.

And what are NSW complaining about.. Creagh's try came off a blatant forward pass, however the video ref couldnt deny it because they cant rule on it. They officially snookered themsevles from making the right decision.

The better team won on the night and was reflected on the scoreboard.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
No one can 100% say his foot touched the line.

No one can 100% say his foot didnt touch the line.

Benefit of the doubt should have been used. Hansta STFU - you know **** all about footy so stop acting like an experienced league veteran.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why was he running so close to the line when he had already beat Falou, he should not have got himself in that position in the 1st place

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
And what are NSW complaining about.. Creagh's try came off a blatant forward pass,
If you had any league knowledge whatsoever and then went back and watch teh side on replay from the camera just next to the corner post where Hayne was it was 100% clear Haynes HANDS travelled in a backwards motion which is all that needed to happen.

The ball travelled forward because of his momentum but the hands went backwards.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you had any league knowledge whatsoever and then went back and watch teh side on replay from the camera just next to the corner post where Hayne was it was 100% clear Haynes HANDS travelled in a backwards motion which is all that needed to happen.

The ball travelled forward because of his momentum but the hands went backwards.
oh BS! And it always makes me laugh when people start off with "if you had any league knowledge" blah blah blah.. I didnt realise you were god off al things Rugby League.

F$%k me, even Sterlo said they were lucky there... but he wouldnt have any league knowledge either though would he :rolleyes:

Man up and dry your eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.